Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Increasing for energy but will it cause gain

Hey MFP!
So I am currently not counting calories but using an exchange based meal plan provided to me a few months back by a nutritionist. I was raised by an anorexic mom and have eating disorder tendencies, so this just works better for me. Well, I had a recent move, then took on 3 jobs and full-time graduate school so can pursue my dream while supporting my mom and stepdad...and so my meal plan kind of went through a weird restructure as I tried to get in all my intake so as not to lose weight (currently in maintainaince mode for health reasons) but with a limited time and limited hunger. Here is what it ended up looking like

"B-fast" (usually added to lunch) 1/2 english muffin, 1 prune
Lunch: 3 starches, 1/4 cup tuna, 1 veg and fruit, 2 T sunflower seeds
Dinner: 4 starches, 1 bread item, 3-4 oz protein, 1 veg and fruit, 1 dairy
Snack: Oatmeal, banana, 18g almonds, yogurt
Snack: 350 calorie equivalent, 1 T PB, yogurt, fruit

Problem is this got me into a pattern of not eating anything till 5/6 pm on a good day and I am seeing it wear me down. So my idea was to make the b-fast more substantial by making the 1/2 english muffin into two starches so I can have things like cereal or granola bar, etc. Obviously I don't want to add a whole starch exchange as could cause weight gain (80 calories/day). So I was thinking of moving a dinner starch.

This entails another problem. I've kind of been skimping on dinner starch. First it was a real starch....then just became "I will add more potato to what I usually do" but then the adding started to dwindle and I started to say I was adding "calories" by adding truvia to my oatmeal or pepper to my potato (these things always counted as calories in my house growing up). So I guess my old ED behaviors snuck in. Anyway, I was thinking I could maybe try to increase the potatoes back up and see if that causes weight gain, then take these increased calories and do the b-fast switch. So would increasing by like 70g of potato (around 55-60 calories) PER DAY cause an increase in weight? Or would it just make me feel better and a whole lot less disordered?

I have re-entered therapy and see a doc, but neither can provide nutritional support and there are no nutrition services I can seek in the area (I have been looking since August). Thank you for your time.

Replies

• jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Anyone? I did increase the potatoes tonight and my stomach is beyond full
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    I am sorry but it is a little confusing. What is the question? B)
    Are you asking if the 60 calories a day of potatoes will cause weight gain?
    When you make a change like that try it for two or weeks or so and then assess/evaluate.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    If you are currently losing weight in noticeable amounts, adding 60 calories won't make you gain weight.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Eat more food.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    I am currently maintaining and wondering if adding the 60 ish calories a day would cause weight gain basically.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    IF you are at the exact highest daily intake for maintenance, and adding those 60 calories creates a 60 calorie surplus it would take 58.33 days for those calories to add up to a pound of gain. However it is highly unlikely that you are at the exact number for maintenance, and you likely won't see any gain at all.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Eat more food.

TRUTH! I would commit murder at the amount your eating..... my kids would not be happy LOL