Spinach...good or bad?

Options
2»

Replies

• Eureka175
    Eureka175 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    People with hypothyroidism are advised to avoid raw spinach, as well as other 'healthy' foods, that can affect thyroid, but I'm not sure it actually causes hypothyroidism. I'd suggest having your levels checked regularly if you are concerned.

This. IF you have a thyroid problem, raw spinach (among other things) is advisable to avoid. If you lightly steam it, or cook it whichever way you prefer, it is not an issue. Again, this is only for people who do have a thyroid problem. So if you do not have a thyroid problem, you do not need to worry.
  • fitnesspal1972
    Options
    Wow, my doctor never told me to avoid spinach, or broccoli, or any other greens.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Some people have kidney stones related to spinach... but only certain types of stones so again... that would come from a Physician.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Must.stop.reading.internet.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I'd eat spinach every day if I could. Unfortunately it can make me a little uncomfortable, especially before a date.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Why in the world would spinach be bad?

better yet, why is OP "paranoid" about eating food..????
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I got kidney stones from eating too much spinach. But I was eating a TON of it. I still love it, now I just have don't eat a bag a day. I also think that my kidneys are a little wonky too.
  • crystalberries426
    Options
    So many "good" veggies and fruits aren't good In large volumes for hypothyroid. It's crazy when you start reading up on it. Kale, broccoli, spinach, strawberries, peaches, Brussel sprouts, soy beans, cauliflower and other stuff. My endocrinologist though has just told me to stay away from dairy, gluten and sugar.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Eat your spinach.
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Haha I heard this was true for kale and Swiss chard but not spinach. But I thought dark leafy greens were supposed to cure all human ills...or is that so 2012 now?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Eureka175 wrote: »
    People with hypothyroidism are advised to avoid raw spinach, as well as other 'healthy' foods, that can affect thyroid, but I'm not sure it actually causes hypothyroidism. I'd suggest having your levels checked regularly if you are concerned.

This. IF you have a thyroid problem, raw spinach (among other things) is advisable to avoid. If you lightly steam it, or cook it whichever way you prefer, it is not an issue. Again, this is only for people who do have a thyroid problem. So if you do not have a thyroid problem, you do not need to worry.

I do have to watch out, and no one told me this. Hunh.

http://thyroid.about.com/od/symptomsrisks/a/All-About-Goitrogens-thyroid.htm

In fact, no one I saw even suggested lifestyle could play into it at all.

So thanks for the thread, OP :)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). My endocrinologist said to eat whatever I want, and I lost the weight and have maintained just fine.