complicated migraine sufferers ... do any homeopathic tricks work for you?

Options
2»

Replies

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    nam985 wrote: »
    I'm also plagued by migraines that are often accompanied by nasty neurological side effects. Since I can't take any of the traditional abortive meds my go-to has become a cocktail of ibuprofen, acetaminophen, an anti-emetic (eg. Gravol) and an anti-histamine (e.g. Benedryl) taken at the first inkling of one setting in. If possible, I also lie down with an ice pack on my neck and try to rest. It doesn't always work, but it can sometimes keep my migraine from getting to the point where narcotics are needed. Good luck!

Neuro side effects: do you find yourself thinking clearly but unable to communicate any of it? Panic makes it worse. I stood once as a student teacher before a room full of middle school students without meds and panicked as I realized I would be blinking lights blind spot dizzy numb and unable to speak intelligently within minutes. I was terrified. Who was that reporter in CA who made the news because this happened to her on camera? Scary ... but we're not alone in it.
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Comments from the peanut gallery will follow....really just thoughts of things that may help alleviate some of your suffering, and I will echo previous comments. There are good suggestions!

What about a preventative medication to attempt to prevent migraine before it happens? You may have already tried them all, but there are many different ones in many different classes. I will preface by saying I am finally having some luck this week with propanolol and botox after failing many many others (persistent aura is my issue as my routine menstrual migraines respond to triptans). I know for the rarer migraines prevention seems to be key as they respond poorly to treatment once they occur and can be exceedingly disabling. For me, the pills are routine, and the botox are shots every 3 months for starters (something like 20-30 done in the office, but I don't count). I know a person who take propanolol only at the onset of her aura and has done well with that.

That being said (as it has taken a looooooong time to have any improvement with my vision and balance/dizziness so I am ecstatic) migraine clinic has me on magnesium, b6/b12, b2 riboflavin, ginger capsules for nausea, coq10, mega efa, and butterbur (also can be found under the patented petadolex but that is much pricier). Feverfew was also on the possible recommended list of nutraceuticals for me to try. Here's a quick link with study references:
    http://www.americanheadachesociety.org/assets/1/7/AHS_Tepper.pdf

The clinic also wants me hydrated (at least 2L spread throughout the day) and to avoid spikes/drops in my blood glucose by eating small amounts every few hours, and instruction to avoid eating large amounts at once or delaying meals. That is a very easy thing to do, and if it helps raise my migraine threshold I'll do it :smile:

A few other thoughts: migraine elimination diet (works for some so might be worth trying), and cefaly/tens unit. Cefaly is prescription only, has some pretty good data, and is well tolerated in the studies. Europe and Canada have a model with 3 set programs, in the US there is only one FDA approved setting for prevention. Tens unit would need to be recommended by a neurologist and instructions given to you for use.

Some have luck with accupuncture and trigger point injections, others swear by chiropractor (one specializing in migraine), I have seen accupressure be effective, and I have heard some have luck with massage.

I am waitlisted for a clinical trial involving the eNeura spring tms machine, which uses a magnet at the onset of aura to treat migraine. Not on the market in the US yet, and seem to only be found in the US at migraine centers in trials, but my neurologist says there have been some very promising studies. So that may be a bit of time before it is available, but is reported to be very safe, and ideal for those of use with the very disabling auras. The idea is that this would replace the need for medications.

I am surprised that they suggest narcotics, but again opinion varies from neurologist to neurologist. Some insist you take them and sleep, others won't treat if you take them. Narcotics never worked for my migraines well, and guaranteed a deathlike rebound headache for days so it was quite pointless. I wonder about something like compazine, an antinausea medication that has effect on migraine activity when given IM/IV (considering the doctor approves and you are comfortable giving yourself a shot). I won't link studies, but they are out there. Some decent side effects with this one so that would be a discussion with your neurologist.

I am not certain about the use or absolute avoidance of triptans in atypical migraine, especially familial hemiplegic migraine, as it really varies from neurologist to neurologist and I have heard arguments for both. I know there are neurologists who do allow them. There are studies showing successful treatment of these migraines without evidence of ischemic stroke or heart attack, the supposed reason the vasoconstricting triptans should be avoided.

This is one such example, there are others.

Eur J Neurol. 2007 Sep;14(9):1053-6.
    Treatment of hemiplegic migraine with triptans.
    Artto V1, Nissilä M, Wessman M, Palotie A, Färkkilä M, Kallela M.

You might consider a second opinion if you continue to suffer and aren't satisfied with your current treatment options avoiding triptans.

There is some data out there on medication overuse headaches, and the medications are many (narcotics, triptans, over the counter preparations, especially allergy/cough/cold and anti-inflammatories). This might be worth looking into to identify these sneaky triggers if you take over the counter stuff.

I wish you luck finding a treatment plan that works for you. Migraines are awful all the way around.
  • nam985
    nam985 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    lgutches wrote: »
    Neuro side effects: do you find yourself thinking clearly but unable to communicate any of it? Panic makes it worse. I stood once as a student teacher before a room full of middle school students without meds and panicked as I realized I would be blinking lights blind spot dizzy numb and unable to speak intelligently within minutes. I was terrified. Who was that reporter in CA who made the news because this happened to her on camera? Scary ... but we're not alone in it.

My neurological symptoms are more like severe dizziness, loss of vision on one side, slurred speech, numbness and tingling, all the classic brainstem-type symptoms associated with basilar artery migraines. Scary stuff, I had my first attack at 14 and thought I was having a stroke!