Glucose Tablets for Exercise Induced Low Blood Sugar

Options
I'm a morning work out person - a fall out of bed and hit the gym work out person - I go moderately intense for 40-45 minutes cardio and generally burn about 500 cals + whatever weight training is. I have been feeling run down by mid to late morning and get irritable and moody (I basically act like a hungry 8 month old). Anyway, after noticing that my energy and mood greatly improved after lunch I went to the doctor to make sure it wasn't diabetes. Fortunately it is not - after we discussed my daily routine he 'diagnosed' the problem and suggested either changing when i work out or change my energy intake. Glucose tablets were one of his suggestions. I have been taking them for a few days, one before I work out and one mid morning and its made a real difference.

Since there are no unique problems among MFPers I wanted to see how other people have dealt with blood sugar issues. I really don't want to change my schedule but i'm also not going to ignore reality.

Replies

• dwolfe1985
    dwolfe1985 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I pop a energy drink if i go fasted nothing like fast absorbing carbs stops me from feeling light headed after Squats.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a post workout meal, and then another a few hours later.
  • TheMannon
    TheMannon Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    dwolfe1985 wrote: »
    I pop a energy drink if i go fasted nothing like fast absorbing carbs stops me from feeling light headed after Squats.

I assume you're talking about not a sugar free one?

And I know exactly what you're talking about re: feelng light headed after squats (and leg press)
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana with some almond butter before my early morning workouts. After, I have my 'super coffee' which is just coffee with some protein powder in place of the cream. I was getting dizzy during my workouts when I did not eat before. Ironically, this didn't happen at first when I had a larger fat surplus.