water

I am wondering how much water I need to drink to lose weight. I am 5 ft tall and weigh approximately 184lbs

Replies

• La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    you will get 1000 different answers. LOL
    i personally drink 12 cups (that is 96 oz) per day. from what i have read, drinking half your body weight in oz per day is the "ideal." for you, that would be about 92 oz. some people say that food, soup, drinks all count toward that fluid intake, but you have to decide for yourself. drinking water in and of itself will not cause weight loss, but i have found that i feel more rested at night and more refreshed when i drink my 12 cups. i used to not drink any and my skin and hair were very dry. i think i might finally be hydrated. LOL
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    There are so many answers lol. Depends on who you listen to. If your urine is a light yellow you should be good. I tend to drink about 2.5L throughout the day and I'm good.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I aim for 3L everyday. As another poster said, check out the colour of your wee, if it's really dark then up your water, if it's clear straw coloured (mine is) , then you're good. I got rid of my blu loo for this very reason lol
    As an aside, some supplements make your pee dark, such as VitB
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    To lose weight? You need to eat less calories than you burn. Drinking water won't make you lose weight, though it's recommended for health and for reducing hunger feelings. If you up your water you might eat less which will lead to a calorie deficit, but you're not gonna lose anything if you don't reduce the amount you eat or up your exercise :smile:
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited January 2015
    There are 2 standard answers, but they are sides of the same coin.
    1.6L of fluid a day for women or 2L for men should do for most people and avoid dehydration. If your urine is no darker than the colour of light straw then you are good.

[
    b]How much should we drink?[/b]

To stay healthy, it's important to replace the fluid we lose when we breathe, sweat or urinate.

We get some fluid from our food but most comes from drinks.

The European Food Safety Authority recommends that women should drink about 1.6 litres of fluid and men should drink about 2.0 litres of fluid per day. That's about eight glasses of 200ml each for a woman, and 10 glasses of 200ml each for a man.

However, the amount a person needs to drink to avoid getting dehydrated will vary depending on a range of factors, including their size, the temperature and how active they are. So, for example, if you're exercising hard in hot weather you'll need to drink more.

All drinks count, including hot drinks such as tea and coffee, but water, milk and fruit juices are the healthiest. It is best to avoid alcoholic drinks.

http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/goodfood/pages/water-drinks.aspx

Ditto for the comments on drinking water of itself isnt a direct cause of weight loss. It helps with hydration, it can help you feel more full and its got zero calories.
  • Boreo
    Boreo Posts: 10 Member
    Water intake has nothing much with weight loss except if you believe constantly filling your stomach with water can prevent hunger. This is a desperate technique if you ask me.

You need to take so much water as you lose it (mainly by urinating and sweating). So if you drink enough, your weight from day to day will be about the same, and if you drink too little, your weight will drop. On a hot summer day, just by walking around, you can lose several liters of water by sweating, which results in several kilograms of weight loss. So, if you weigh yourself every morning after emptying your bladder and bowel and before breakfast and your weight is about the same from day to day, you drink enough.

You will need to figure out what is about the right amount of water for you to keep you hydrated. It can be 2 liters per day, but if you sweat a lot, it can be 4 or 5 liters or even more.
    http://www.ehealthstar.com/dehydration/how-much-water-do-i-need-to-drink-per-day

There is really not possible to recommend any exact amount of water to anyone without knowing a persons sweating rate, and amount of water and salt in food.
  • MaiHud
    MaiHud Posts: 3 Member
    For my clients I suggest 2-3 liters of water a day. If your body is dehydrated you will drop 5-7 pounds quickly, but that's just the water that your body is holding. After that water is a part of the weight loss equation, but it is not the direct cause of the weight loss. It's still very important to drink though :smile: