Regaining muscle after surgery, losing fat

Options
So I've just recovered from my second shoulder reconstruction surgery. (1year after the surgery). I've completed all my physio and now I'm all good to start getting back on track!

Sadly over the last 2 years I've lost a lot of muscle and gained quiet a bit of fat. How ever I know nothing about gaining muscle or recomp or anything to do with that.

I cook all my own meals which I guess is a good start but I have no idea what I should be eating or what my requirements will need to be.

My right arm was done 5 years ago yet I managed to stay fit, maybe it had something to do with my youth, diet and work back then. I was on the move all day every day back then working on a farm and now I have a desk job.

I've been giving the okay to start lifting so long as there is no pain and i've started doing push ups. I'm lifting 10kg dumbbell's at the moment, doing what my physio told me, but i would like to move onto harder things.

So i'd like to ask you all if you have any advice for me, anything that might help me get to my goals. Anything meal wise, what i should be eating, marcos, anything i should cut down on.

My BMI is 25.1, 6 foot (183cm), 185lbs (84kgs). Age 26. Male. So I'm not sure if i should be gaining weight first (As I need to build up my shoulders) and then cutting fat? Or should i be reducing calories now and lose weight, then start gaining muscle later. I need to gain muscle on my shoulders to support them but I'd also like to get fit for myself.

I hold most my weight in my legs, they are massive, but toned muscle. Sadly i have a layer of fat on my stomach which is slowly getting out of hand. I guess I really need to lower my body fat percent and gain muscle, I'd say I'm sitting around 16-18% ATM.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I'd just get into a progressive loading programme right now and worry about losing/maintaining/gaining later. Just build on the 10lb you're doing now. As long as you're not in pain, I see no reason not to follow a beginners programme like Stronglifts or Starting Strength.

I'm not particularly up on injuries but my bf had shoulder surgery about three years ago and was able to get back into lifting after about 6 months. I hate to admit, but his shoulders look way better than mine - boo for female low testosterone levels! :(
  • markjacobs1987
    markjacobs1987 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Sounds like right now at 16-18% body fat you want to work on shredding fat as your main focus first. You can still build muscle while losing fat, especially if you're lifting weights so don't worry that you won't build any muscle if you're working on shredding fat. That being said you probably want to eat at around 2200 calories to start and have a good amount of protein to shred the fat. I'd try a 40/40/20 (protein, carb, fat) ratio and see how that works for you for a couple weeks and adjust from there if you aren't noticing any weight loss.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Sounds like right now at 16-18% body fat you want to work on shredding fat as your main focus first. You can still build muscle while losing fat, especially if you're lifting weights so don't worry that you won't build any muscle if you're working on shredding fat. That being said you probably want to eat at around 2200 calories to start and have a good amount of protein to shred the fat. I'd try a 40/40/20 (protein, carb, fat) ratio and see how that works for you for a couple weeks and adjust from there if you aren't noticing any weight loss.

Most of this is nonsense.

You're telling a 26 yr old 6' guy to eat 2200 and he'll build muscle and shred fat, right? And there is almost never a need to eat 40% protein.

OP if you still want to lose, I'd suggest a small deficit like TDEE -5%. Protein can be anything in the 0.8g per lb lean mass - 1.5g per lb bodyweight range. Fat 0.4g per lb bodyweight.

You'd probably be better eating at maintenance while rehabbing that shoulder though and worry about body composition issues later.