Over 2 wks plateau???

Options
Ok, I understand that plateaus should be an expected part of weight loss but for two and a half weeks? I was 30 lbs down in over three months and while the loss wasn't rapid, it was consistent. Three days a week in the gym, cutting down sodium, etc. when I've hit a plateau in the past it usually lasts a week or so, I drop my sodium intake, sometimes bump up my cardio and stick to clean eating and I can usually overcome. Not lately. I'm struggling still over weight and I have a long way to go but this is discouraging! Anything that's helped you all break through a plateau?

Replies

• fablizy
    fablizy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Increasing weights and protein seems to help me out. ..
  • fablizy
    fablizy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    3 week plateaus are my norm though about every 2 to3 months
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't consider 2 weeks a plateau (but plateau talk in general is a pet peeve of mine...because they don't exist....it just means you're eating at maintenance). Have you reevaluated your calorie goal lately? If you aren't losing weight, you're not in a deficit. If you don't weigh your food, maybe pick up a food scale and see if your portion estimates have been off.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't consider 2 weeks a plateau (but plateau talk in general is a pet peeve of mine...because they don't exist....it just means you're eating at maintenance). Have you reevaluated your calorie goal lately? If you aren't losing weight, you're not in a deficit. If you don't weigh your food, maybe pick up a food scale and see if your portion estimates have been off.

Well said ^^
    A plateau is usually inaccuracies in logging and not considered one until 10 weeks.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    30lbs in 3mths is awesome!!

I'm down to my last 4kg. And it's taken me a month to lose 1 kilo (2.2lbs). We'll get there eventually, just have to be patient.
    Also check and double check that your weighing and logging your food correctly.

Good luck xx
  • pdwhitlock
    pdwhitlock Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I am going to try more protein. I've been weighing everything. I actually have my scale continuously out on my counter beside my stove to remind myself to weigh/measure. I've logged everything and not drinking anything but water so I'm pretty sure I'm still in deficit.
  • Kevvboy
    Kevvboy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I second the notion that 30 lbs in 3 months is a LOT. You have done great. Just because you've gone 2 weeks without losing any doesn't mean you should change anything. Only you know if you've added a few calories here and there that could be slowing you down, but the truth is - as you lose weight, it gets harder to lose weight. The weight comes off much more slowly the longer you do this. For one thing, you were carrying around 30 extra lbs all day long, and imagine how many more calories you burned doing that. Just keep doing what you are doing - maybe up your intensity on a workout or two per week if you insist, but sounds to me like you are doing fine.
  • pdwhitlock
    Options
    Kevvboy wrote: »
    I second the notion that 30 lbs in 3 months is a LOT. You have done great. Just because you've gone 2 weeks without losing any doesn't mean you should change anything. Only you know if you've added a few calories here and there that could be slowing you down, but the truth is - as you lose weight, it gets harder to lose weight. The weight comes off much more slowly the longer you do this. For one thing, you were carrying around 30 extra lbs all day long, and imagine how many more calories you burned doing that. Just keep doing what you are doing - maybe up your intensity on a workout or two per week if you insist, but sounds to me like you are doing fine.

Thanks! I've never thought of it that way!!!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    pdwhitlock wrote: »

That's why you may need to adjust your calorie goal since you've lost weight. (if you haven't already)
  • pdwhitlock
    Options
    pdwhitlock wrote: »

That's why you may need to adjust your calorie goal since you've lost weight. (if you haven't already)

MFP has readjusted the calories twice for me so far. About 100 calories less each time