Food Portion Sizes

Options
I'm trying to be really strict with myself on the amount I eat but what actually is the correct portion size at the moment I'm just filling most of my plate up with veg or salad

Replies

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    if you aren't counting calories, I'd recommend the plate method: 1/2 veggies, 1/4 protein, 1/4 whole grains.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    To me, "correct portion size," means "the amount it takes to reach my caloric and nutritional goals."

I might use the serving size as a suggestion, but there's no way I'm eating just ONE Pop Tart, and I'm more likely to have two servings of breakfast cereal. A typical chicken breast serving for me is closer to 6 oz, not 3 or 4. I weight and measure, and if it fits, I eat it.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    To me, "correct portion size," means "the amount it takes to reach my caloric and nutritional goals."

I might use the serving size as a suggestion, but there's no way I'm eating just ONE Pop Tart, and I'm more likely to have two servings of breakfast cereal. A typical chicken breast serving for me is closer to 6 oz, not 3 or 4. I weight and measure, and if it fits, I eat it.

This exactly. Depends totally on what your calorie and nutrition goals are. Get a food scale - weigh everything. Log it. Go from there. When you get to your max calories for the day stop eating.

• lfrazier2482
    lfrazier2482 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You can get a decent food scale for less than $20. Takes out the guess work.