How many calories will I burn on a treadmill going 5mph at an incline of 5% ?

2»

Replies

• sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Just a safety note - continually running uphill (you said 5% incline) can lead to shin and hamstring issues. I run 1% incline until the last few minutes of my treadmill run.
  • Laureani
    Laureani Posts: 134 Member
    sjaplo wrote: »
    Just a safety note - continually running uphill (you said 5% incline) can lead to shin and hamstring issues. I run 1% incline until the last few minutes of my treadmill run.

Okay.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    sjaplo wrote: »

^this^
  • Laureani
    Laureani Posts: 134 Member
    Laureani wrote: »
    Cacheola wrote: »
    Without a HR monitor, you'll have to go by the calc. 5% is a decent incline. 1-2 is similar to a flat road. I'd get bored running for an hour straight and it can also be hard on your knees and hips, especially if you're overweight. I usually run a mile then do something else, run a mile then do something else...

The treadmill has an HRM, do you think that'd be accurate?

We have a treadmill that has hand grips that measure HR. It is completely unreliable. It also has a chest strap that communicates to the treadmill directly, which may be accurate but I do not use that because I have a Garmin GPS with HRM. The Garmin software provides a calorie count, but it is biased low, so I calculate energy expenditure (EE) using an equation that relates it to age, weight and average HR. There are separate equations for men and women. I will copy them below, along with a citation of the source. Use the equation to calculate your EE rate (kCal/min) and multiply that by the minutes of exercise time. In my experience, the results are similar to what I get inputting the exercise into the MFP tracker. The original paper also has an equation that also depends on VO2-Max, but that made only a modest improvement in the accuracy of the equation so I use the one below. Note that this equation yields gross EE, so it's best to convert it to net EE by subtracting your basal metabolic rate x exercise time. As a first approximation, that's about 1 kCal/min.

“Prediction of energy expenditure from heart rate monitoring during submaximal exercise”, Keytel, L.R., Goedecke, J.H., Noakes, T.D., Hiiloskorpi, H., Laukkanen, R., van der Merwe, L., Lambert, E.V., Journal of Sports Sciences, March 01, 2005.

Men: EE (kCal/min) = (-55.0969 + 0.6309 x HR + 0.1988 x weight + 0.2017 x age) / 4.184
    Women:EE (kCal/min) = (-20.4022 + 0.4472 x HR - 0.1263 x weight + 0.074 x age) / 4.184

Should have noted that weight is in kg, age is in years, and HR is in beats/minute.

Okay, thank you for the information