Just Another Brick In The Wall

Options
It's no secret, nor is it something to be ashamed of... We all get stuck, hit plateaus, the scale stays the same, the measurements stay the same, clothes fit the same... Nothing changes. We know what we need to do. We continue doing it. We're smart, strong & determined. But that doesn't change the fact that its frustrating.

I got through my first serious plateau last summer. It took 9 weeks. Then BAM! Six pounds down just like that. Well, life's been throwing me a few curve balls since then. My latest is a boating accident that ended with a few serious injuries that have been really holding me back from my regular workouts. I even lost my job over it & I'm told I can't go back to that field. It's been difficult to accept this and frankly, I'm not certain I have fully accepted it yet. As far as workouts, I've improvised, created new routines. They're not as intense but they'll suffice for now. I really have no choice in the matter. I also gained back 15 of the 69 pounds that I lost. It only took 4 weeks. "It's ok", I told myself, "it's a temporary setback, I could fix this". Three weeks later, I'm only down three pounds. I'm not perfect by any means. But overall, I do eat very clean & I do some pretty good workouts, even with an injured arm & leg. I'm strong willed. I push my body to its limits. But it's still frustrating when tangible results are few and far between.

It's just another brick in the wall. It's all good and I'm fine. I just felt like venting. Thanks for reading.

So what are some of the things you think about to turn it around & not play the woe is me victim? There are so many.... Better health, feeling good, more energy, building strength & endurance, confidence, reduced medications, better lab results, accomplishments such as races, etc, ... And so much more... Let's hear it...

Edited b/c I seem to have forgotten how to complete a full sentence.

Replies

• avalonms
    avalonms Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    When I feel one of my turns coming on, I stop what I am doing and thinking and go outside and just run like hell. Nothing like a good run to clear the empty spaces from your mind, and those stretches when you aren't seeing improvements are the mother of all mental challenges. Don't let negative thinking leave you on the thin ice - the show must go on!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost anything since April 9th. I keep gaining and losing the same 2 pounds over and over. I think its been going on so long now that I have gone past any initial frustration. I had a LONG run....many months of no plateau. So I am hanging in there. Today the pool opened and I went back to water jogging which I haven't done since Sept. when the pool closed for the season. I am hoping that it may start things moving again. But no matter what, this is for LIFE. I wont be changing how I eat whether I lose another pound or not. Its just the way things will be.
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    @Avalonms... Absolutely! I'll never give up. Running is awesome, so therapeutic. The doc said I can never run again. I challenged her. So far I'm unable to prove her wrong. No problem though. I can walk, and fast. It's all good.
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    @Crochetluvr... Awesome attitude! The "way of life" is hard earned. I'm amazed when I think of the changes I've made over the past two years. It makes me proud. Good for you & you will see those pounds drop real soon. Swimming is excellent. Our pool is getting opened next week. I can't wait. I'll be out there every day.
  • Help4nb
    Help4nb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    hi lisa you read my posts all the time , and know i have been stuck for months ! and i still have an extra 3lb holiday weight to move too!!
    my best advice is dont sweat it, i know i can loss weight as i have got this far and everything is the same apart from i do more exercise. i think my body is trying to adjust with my new life style. all advice says eat more which is a struggle.
    when i feel like quitting i thing about how i use to be , fat,tired, unhappy and no confidence .................do i want to go there NO!! so i carry on . i imagine what its going to be like to reach my goals and these things keep me going . love to you and all others stuck like us xx