Milk Vitamin D vs 2% which is best for nutritional needs?

rkteal
rkteal Posts: 29 Member
Would like to hear discussion on the comparison. I use 2% but
I am concerned that I may be missing some nutrients.

Replies

• successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Could be wrong but I always though that they only took out fat.

Of course many will say the only thing that should be drinking milk is a baby cow.

I'm using reduced fat organic to make my kefir. I only drink about a cup and a half a day, its my breakfast protein.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    The Vit D2 (ergocalciferol) in milk is inefficient. If you are concerned about D, check with your doctor about D3 (cholecalciferol).
    Keep drinking whichever milk you like.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I drink full fat milk, 3.9% fat, nothing added or removed, supposedly.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    edited January 2015
    Mushrooms sauteed in a bit of oil will give you a better absorbed Vitamin D. Milk is fortified and as stated above it is D2 which isn't as easily absorbed or used.
  • MaiHud
    MaiHud Posts: 3 Member
    What everyone says about the vit D in milk is absolutely correct. It's not sufficient for the amount of vit D needed. And as someone stated, the differences in the % of milk refer to the milk fat. The best source to create vit D is actually the sun. For food sources you can eat salmon, tuna, mushrooms, and eggs.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Whatever fits in your macros/calories.

2% milk has vitamin D in it too anyway.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member

Pasteurization kills the good bacteria and damages the vitamins so yeah, they're removing the good stuff and adding it back in.

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Need Vitamin D? Get 15-30 minutes of sunshine every day and you're set.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member

Not possible for some people (like me!) who work in an office all day, in the Midwest, where it sometimes isn't sunny for weeks at a time in the winter. I take a vitamin D supplement on the advice of my doctor, and try to get in lots of foods with vitamin D as well.

As far as milk, drink whatever you like that fits into your calorie and or macro goals. I prefer skim milk, and since I don't have a gallbladder, its good for me to keep my fat intake lower.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    It's harder to get vitamin D from the sun the farther north you are. The sun is out for less time in the winter, and it is weaker. People with more pigmentation in their skin need longer exposure as well.

"Black skin may require six times the sun exposure to make the same vitamin D levels as a very fair-skinned person"

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/family-health/heart/articles/2008/06/23/time-in-the-sun-how-much-is-needed-for-vitamin-d

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/136/4/1126.full

Many milks are supplemented with Vitamin A and D, at all fat levels. I think you are going to have to read the label of the milk you are drinking to see if you are getting enough vitamin D from it.
  • goddessofawesome

Sure, if you live in an area where it's sunny all the time so you can go outside and expose the majority of your skin.

Most people aren't that lucky. They are working in an office 8-10 hours a day in areas where it's freezing cold out and there isn't a lot of sun.
  • kommodevaran

Pasteurization kills the good bacteria and damages the vitamins so yeah, they're removing the good stuff and adding it back in.

But that's what is available around here. I wish I knew a farmer :(
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Buy some kefir grains and make your own to get good bacteria back into your milk.
  • kommodevaran
    Buy some kefir grains and make your own to get good bacteria back into your milk.

OK, but what is the verdict on store bought kefir (apart from tasting delicious and I want some now, thank you)?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    rkteal wrote: »
    Would like to hear discussion on the comparison. I use 2% but
    I am concerned that I may be missing some nutrients.

You will be missing the fat, but that's easily obtained from other sources. Vitamin D is added to milk, regardless of the fat content. It is a fat soluable vitamin, but 2% is not fat free so that's not really an issue.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member

Sure, if you live in an area where it's sunny all the time so you can go outside and expose the majority of your skin.

Most people aren't that lucky. They are working in an office 8-10 hours a day in areas where it's freezing cold out and there isn't a lot of sun.

Also, older people and dark skinned people don't always make vitamin d from sunshine as affectively as younger fairer skinned people.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited January 2015
    A northern european summer provides enough sunlight exposure to generate a year's worth of "Vitamin" D.

Which should be obvious, because otherwise many of us would not be here. :drinker:
  • goddessofawesome

But that's what is available around here. I wish I knew a farmer :(

That's a bummer. I am lucky because there is a farm right around the corner from where I live where I get raw milk. The last batch I got was right from the cow. Seriously. My jug was still warm!!

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member

Hahaha..... I live in the top 5 cloudiest places in the nation.

• hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member

Um, no, it doesn't. But then I'm silly and believe things on the CDC website.

"Does pasteurization change milk’s nutritional benefits?

No. Many studies have shown that pasteurization does not significantly change the nutritional value of milk and dairy products. All of the nutritional benefits of drinking milk are available from pasteurized milk without the risk of disease that comes with drinking raw milk."

http://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/rawmilk/raw-milk-questions-and-answers.html#benefits

I'm sure all the tinfoil hat types will correct me, so have fun with it.