I Feel like I Have Tried Everything ... Please tell me what I am doing wrong?

Options
2»

Replies

• sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    How tall are you? 122 is a very small number, and four pounds in three weeks is faster than you should be losing if you need to.

I am 5 feet 4 inches! To be honest, I don't care about the number on the scale. I would just like to see some noticeable differences. But thank you for your comment!

If you want to see a difference, eat maintenance, up your protein goals, and lift heavy.
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    You wear a device that gives you a good estmate of your TDEE. Your fitbit says you burn 1700 a day. That's it's estimate of your maintence calories.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    According to the calculator your maintenance should be around 1500 calories with sedentary set for the activity level. I would eat 1600-1700 on lifting days if I were you just to stay conservative. Look into a beginner weight training program like starting strength or stronglifts 5x5. Don't worry about fat or carbohydrates as long as your protein is high and you are meeting your daily goal.

One thing that you need to keep in mind is how a pound of fat looks and a pound of muscle looks, you might weigh more on the scale when you start to gain muscle but your body "definition" and overall look will be more of what you are after. To put it simply trying to lose weight while weighing 120 or so pounds is insanity, you need to gain some muscle mass to get the look you are after. You CAN gain muscle and lose fat by simply maintaining your weight/calories and eating high protein content along with weight training.

So lets go over what we learned.

1) Eat 1400-1500 calories on off days and 1600-1700 on training days
    2) Start a weightlifting program asap
    3) Monitor your weight WEEKLY not daily
    4) Take pictures BI-WEEKLY to monitor progress

I PROMISE if you simply did this for the next 3 months you might notice weight gain or weight loss but your body "definition" will be much improved.

That is EXACTLY what I needed to hear to give me hope. Thank you so much. I just have a few questions that I would appreciate you answering though!

1: Will doing this make me look bulky?
    2: Will this help me achieve that flat, tone-stomach look?
    3: Would you suggest eating things like bread and pasta during this? Heavier carbs?
    4: What would be a typical day of eating for me on this plan?
    5: Can I do this at home?
    6: Would you suggest still running?
    Honestly, thank you so so much. You're amazing!

No.
    Probably.
    Doesn't really matter - just hit your macros and train.
    You eat what you like, heavy on variety and veg and fruits - hit your macros and train.
    Most likely you can start at home, but progressive weight training is most efficient with weights - so a gym makes sense.
    Run, if you like, certainly don't cut it out completely if you do it and enjoy it.

AND STICK TO IT - results take months, but promise they will come.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    One note about running: make sure you have good shoes, based on your arch and running style. Key to avoid injuries... And running on back to back days is often NOT recommended for beginning runners.

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I don't love recommending a slim 19 year old to eat 1500-1700 calories per day... OP, I really think you should not focus on dieting but making gradual changes to make your diet healthier and finding physical activities that you really enjoy and do on a regular basis. Strength training often helps us ladies feel strong and appreciate our bodies more.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I don't love recommending a slim 19 year old to eat 1500-1700 calories per day... OP, I really think you should not focus on dieting but making gradual changes to make your diet healthier and finding physical activities that you really enjoy and do on a regular basis. Strength training often helps us ladies feel strong and appreciate our bodies more.

I 100% agree with this.

OP, I think you look good already. When I look back at my own 19-year-old self I was convinced I needed to be 115 or so (I was probably about 125, I'm 5'3), but now based on photos of myself at the time I was crazy (or just insecure), I looked great. What I do wish, however, is that I'd understood that I could improve my body if I wanted, and almost certainly gain confidence and a feeling of strength, had I focused on athletic achievement and gotten into strength training.

I'm glad the OP seems interested in that.

OP, here's a link worth reading, where you can see how strength training (even a more intense version than you may be interested in right away, with LOTS of calories for bulking) can change your body in a way that I, at least, would find very positive.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    According to the calculator your maintenance should be around 1500 calories with sedentary set for the activity level. I would eat 1600-1700 on lifting days if I were you just to stay conservative. Look into a beginner weight training program like starting strength or stronglifts 5x5. Don't worry about fat or carbohydrates as long as your protein is high and you are meeting your daily goal.

One thing that you need to keep in mind is how a pound of fat looks and a pound of muscle looks, you might weigh more on the scale when you start to gain muscle but your body "definition" and overall look will be more of what you are after. To put it simply trying to lose weight while weighing 120 or so pounds is insanity, you need to gain some muscle mass to get the look you are after. You CAN gain muscle and lose fat by simply maintaining your weight/calories and eating high protein content along with weight training.

I PROMISE if you simply did this for the next 3 months you might notice weight gain or weight loss but your body "definition" will be much improved.

Not for someone of her height, it isn't.

The advice to do a recomp is good. I'm not arguing with it.

But there's more than one way to skin a cat, and it would also be a reasonable suggestion for OP to cut down to 20% BF or a little less and then lift and do a slow bulk.

Both methods will get her where she wants to go. Recomp will be slower, cut then bulk will be faster, but you do have to deal with the mental aspects of gaining fat along with the muscle during the bulk, because there's no avoiding it.

OP, I suggest you check out the gaining weight forum - folks there can help you with a plan for a recomp or a cut/bulk cycle and give you the pros and cons of each in exhaustive detail.
  • hellonikki123
    hellonikki123 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I made myself a promise that this would be the year I changed my body, become healthier, leaner, and stronger. I started at the beginning of January, so it has been about three weeks. I have been going strong, and I want so badly to see results.
    During this time, I've been off dairy, most carbs, and sugar. For the past week and a half, I have been running every day for a half and hour. I have a Fitbit and I always make sure I take at least 10,000 steps a day, and Fitbit says I burn about 1,700 calories.
    I have only lost four pounds. I am currently 122 pounds. I know that sounds like a lot, but my measurements and before and after pictures are no different. There is not one change. I am trying not to get discouraged, but my strength is dwindling. I am doing everything I could possibly think of.

This is a normal days meal for me, it's about 1200 calories:
    Breakfast: Assortment of fruit, chia seeds, and handful of almonds
    Snack: Snap peas or grapes
    Lunch: Spinach salad, spagetti squash, or mushrooms and an avocado
    Snack: Blueberries, carrots, snap peas, etc.
    Dinner: Salmon and an assortment of veggies.

I've honestly been eating like this for three weeks straight. I know I should be seeing more noticeable results. I'm begging you ... Please help me!

I am in almost the exact same situation as you!! I am 120 and trying to lose 10 lbs. I've been watching my calories and exercising for three weeks and not much change... Thanks for posting this. I look forward to reading the responses you get. Good luck :)
  • cheeseluver123
    cheeseluver123 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

But there's more than one way to skin a cat, and it would also be a reasonable suggestion for OP to cut down to 20% BF or a little less and then lift and do a slow bulk.

Both methods will get her where she wants to go. Recomp will be slower, cut then bulk will be faster, but you do have to deal with the mental aspects of gaining fat along with the muscle during the bulk, because there's no avoiding it.

OP, I suggest you check out the gaining weight forum - folks there can help you with a plan for a recomp or a cut/bulk cycle and give you the pros and cons of each in exhaustive detail.

I'm sorry, I'm new to this whole thing. What is OP? And what will be the fastest way for me to get to my desired body? I have three months or so. I'm just a bit confused
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    OP stands for original poster :)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

I'm sorry, I'm new to this whole thing. What is OP? And what will be the fastest way for me to get to my desired body? I have three months or so. I'm just a bit confused

OP == Original Poster

Generally speaking, a cut/bulk cycle is faster than a recomp. But either method is going to take months and months. More than what you've got.

OK, here's my suggestion. To get to your goal in three months, do the lifting programs like everyone is suggesting, and eat at a slight deficit. I'm talking aiming at losing 1/4 - 1/2 lb per wk until you are happy and still at a healthy weight, which from your stats needs to be > 110 lbs.
  • cheeseluver123
    Options
    I made myself a promise that this would be the year I changed my body, become healthier, leaner, and stronger. I started at the beginning of January, so it has been about three weeks. I have been going strong, and I want so badly to see results.
    During this time, I've been off dairy, most carbs, and sugar. For the past week and a half, I have been running every day for a half and hour. I have a Fitbit and I always make sure I take at least 10,000 steps a day, and Fitbit says I burn about 1,700 calories.
    I have only lost four pounds. I am currently 122 pounds. I know that sounds like a lot, but my measurements and before and after pictures are no different. There is not one change. I am trying not to get discouraged, but my strength is dwindling. I am doing everything I could possibly think of.

This is a normal days meal for me, it's about 1200 calories:
    Breakfast: Assortment of fruit, chia seeds, and handful of almonds
    Snack: Snap peas or grapes
    Lunch: Spinach salad, spagetti squash, or mushrooms and an avocado
    Snack: Blueberries, carrots, snap peas, etc.
    Dinner: Salmon and an assortment of veggies.

I've honestly been eating like this for three weeks straight. I know I should be seeing more noticeable results. I'm begging you ... Please help me!

I am in almost the exact same situation as you!! I am 120 and trying to lose 10 lbs. I've been watching my calories and exercising for three weeks and not much change... Thanks for posting this. I look forward to reading the responses you get. Good luck :)

Thank you! And I wish you the best of luck as well.
  • cheeseluver123
    Options

OP == Original Poster

Generally speaking, a cut/bulk cycle is faster than a recomp. But either method is going to take months and months. More than what you've got.

OK, here's my suggestion. To get to your goal in three months, do the lifting programs like everyone is suggesting, and eat at a slight deficit. I'm talking aiming at losing 1/4 - 1/2 lb per wk until you are happy and still at a healthy weight, which from your stats needs to be > 110 lbs.

Honestly, thank you so much. It means the world to me! I will try this plan. Do you think I will see noticeable results?