Exercise for the extremely out of shape

Options
Hi ya'll. I wanted to know if anyone knows how to start exercising for someone who is abhorrently out of shape, but first a little background.

Essentially I suffer from mdd (major depressive disorder) and general anxiety disorder. I've also been told I'm borderline bi polar and if I don't change my lifestyle soon, I'm likely to become a full out agoraphobic. I also have a hyperactive thyroid, so I've pretty much got the whole shebang. I've been stuck for two years. Two years of sitting around the house, rarely leaving, rarely doing anything, eating, and I've gained so much weight. I was down at 217 (still too high) and now I'm at a horrible 277. I need to know how I can exercise again. I had started losing weight at one point, but I really messed up my knee up by doing too much too soon (I'm sure the extra weight I've gained doesn't help).

I need to be able to do 3,500 calories worth of exercise a week, which seems absolutely impossible, because walking for 10 minutes is tiring. I need help. I've got a wedding dress that I got two years ago (yeah, I was supposed to be married by now, but being sick and not having money has kept us from doing anything), and there is no way I could possibly fit into it now. So, I have a wedding in September and I really want to fit into my dress. I'm going to counseling to help with getting out into the world again and I'll be doing some volunteer work soon working with cats, so I'm sure that will help, but I need tips from people who have had to struggle getting into a significant exercise routine.

I would like to add that I plan on carrying my weight loss long past my wedding. I stuck with MFP for three months before everything went down hill. I just need help.Any would be great.

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Walk ten minutes at a time 3-5 times a day. Next week, walk 15 minutes at a time. The following week, walk 30 minutes at a time, twice a day.

Personally, I like to use my Wii, partly because I don't have to get properly dressed and put shoes on. If that appeals to you, you could also do the Walk Away the Pounds videos.
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    walking is probably good for now, 20 mins a few times a week maybe to start with. I know 10 mins is tiring but tiring is ok, you can do it! :)

swimming or aqua aerobics can be lower impact. or some time on a stationary bike :)

Add in some strength training too :)

you're out of shape so anything you do will be tiring but you CAN do it :) And it will get easier the more you do it :)
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    how old? how tall?
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Just push yourself, I am 301lbs, have a leg that is all messed up from having two surgeries and metal rod and plate added into it and I push myself to walk/jog 6.5 miles every other day. Other day I am in the swimming pool (now that summer is here) doing laps :).. I am not trying to rub it in or anything that I can do that, just showing you what I can do when I push myself.

Believe me the first day I did the 6.5 miles, 3 miles in I was saying I don't wanna do this and I hurt and my hubby was all PUSH!! and I pushed and I am so proud I did!!

So if you want a friend to push you, go ahead and add me :)!!
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Walk
    Cycle (stationary bike at the gym)
    Elliptical trainer at the gym
    Swim.

The important thing is to move more frequently and for as long as you can, sustainably.
    The more time you spend moving, the more energy you will burn.
    Any opportunity you have to burn a little more energy - take it.
    Make walking your friend.

And look at your diet. If you need to make some adjustments to your diet to remove or restrict high-cal low nutrient foods - then do so.
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I started at 282 and like you I never went anywhere except church and Walmart. I got lucky in that someone had a stationary bike that they bought and was using at a clothes rack so they gave it to me. I ride on it every day. I started at 5 mins. It was all I could do. Today I went for an hour. Baby steps. It does matter how much or how long you do, just do. :drinker:
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    If you can get access to one, a recumbent bike might be the best thing for you at first. Then look up NEAT, non-exercise activity. Every little bit of extra activity will help. Walk an extra 100 feet, or a flight of stairs. Make what seems like exercise today into normal daily activity three months from now. It will all start to add up.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cE1jxDS3HY

start with the Leslie Sansone, she has different walking videos, and do as much as you can, increasing your exercise time length every day.
  • babyblueruss
    babyblueruss Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi you need to make sure your Thyroid is under control with medication if its overactive it will contribute to mental health stress and you will overeat I had my thyroid removed 2 years ago and since then have struggled with weight you will not lose any till your thyroid medication is right the best exercise is slow walking to start with good luck
  • PinkSuede
    PinkSuede Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I second the walking. I can relate. I have agoraphobia and panic disorder so sometimes getting my heart rate up sets me into a panic attack so I avoided it for a very long time. My highest was 384.

Like someone else said, if all you can do is ten minutes, do ten minutes 3x a day and try to increase the length of each walk, even if it's only an extra minute or two. When I started walking I could only do about 7 minutes before my heart began to race, I'd be out of breath and then I'd get panic attacks. As the weight started to come off it became easier. I can now do 30 minutes fine, 45 minutes if I'm really pushing myself (and I'm still heavier than you at 332 lbs). I could probably do more if I really really wanted to but I've never tried. You can do it. Just don't get discouraged. Keep with it and you'll slowly build up your stamina.

I also found swimming was great. On top of my other issues I have dyshidrodic eczema (I'm positive I didn't spell that right) which causes me to break out in painful bumps on my hands and feet if I break a sweat so I loath sweating. In cool water I don't break a sweat so when the weather is right I'll do about 20-30 min of slow paced laps. Again, when I first started I'd be out of breath in 5-10 minutes but slowly it got easier. If you run out of breath you can just stop, relax, maybe do some lunges and squats or other exercises in the pool and when you've got your breath back get back to your slow laps.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Walking is excellent exercise, and I believe it is good for the mind as well as the body :smile:. If you can work up to walking for an hour or two every evening or two, you'll begin to see some changes (of course, just do the distance you can - anything is better than nothing). It's also a great time to think, pray (if that's your thing - it is for me), meditate, whatever! SO relaxing! Also, when the fancy strikes you, you can practice jogging and get a feel for a good slow pace and breathing. It took me 6 months to learn to jog, but now I enjoy it (which, two years ago, I would have told you would never happen in my life). If the idea of walking outside doesn't appeal to you, as someone previously suggested, there are walking DVDs that you can do at home!

Swimming is excellent exercise as well, but I know that going to a pool and potentially sharing lanes might be a bit anxiety-inducing for someone who's agoraphobic.

If you get to a point where you can tolerate being around more people, I would recommend Zumba. Even if you get *none* of the moves right, the atmosphere is fun, the songs are great, and an hour passes very quickly. I get a better workout in Zumba than I do when I run :smile: - I'm upset when I have to miss a class. We have all shapes and ages of people in our class, and everybody just puts in the effort they can. They keep coming back for more :smile:.
  • bearsfan67
    bearsfan67 Posts: 57
    Options
    Slow baby steps when it comes to working out. Walk 10 minutes a few times a day and then increase it the following week and so on. There are arm work outs that you can do while sitting ......if you have Comcast they have great work outs on ONDEMAND for every work out level.......If you walk in your neighborhood just walk one block and then once you feel more at ease add a block and so on. Just do your best to get up and move regardless of how long or what you do.....after awhile you will get back into shape....trust me you will feel a difference the more you work out and watch what you are eating..... Feel free to add me for support. You GOT THIS!!!!!:smile:
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    I do a lot of pool time when the weather is good
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Baby steps. IF 10 minutes is tiring, then just do ten minutes. Do what you can to start, and listen to your body!

I too have trouble exercising, although it has gotten a bit better. I have moderate Fibromyalgia and on days when everything hurts and aches it is hard, but I at least get some walking in, and I start to feel better. I was diagnosed over a year ago, but started here on MFP about 3 months ago. I did gain some weight from the fibro, because I was in so much pain I barely walked, I was on disability and stayed home all day eating.

Volunteering with the cats will be nice too! I currently volunteer with 2 rescues and it keeps me busy, but I love it. It too has gotten me back out of the house and out of my shell a bit. Both rescues I work with know of my med issues and understand it if I have to cancel a shift or anything.

You're going to have tough days, but they will get better.
  • terriveller
    terriveller Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Swimming is great exercise and low impact. I need both knees replaced and have been in a lot less pain since starting to swim. A lot of places that have pools also have programs certified by arthritis foundation. You should however see your doctor before starting exercise program to see what you can handle. Promise it will be worth it.
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    If you have been sedentary, then you don't have to start big. If you don't burn 3500 calories a week for the first few weeks, don't worry. Anything is better than nothing. I started at260 pounds. I lost my first 40 or so pounds strictly with diet. Then I started exercising. Now I've lost 79.8 pounds. You have to do it in baby steps. I'm glad you are working on all aspects of your life! Medical health and mental health are first priority in order to start losing weight. You can do this! Add me if you'd like. I'm on here everyday. I can offer support and encouragement! Good luck!
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cE1jxDS3HY

start with the Leslie Sansone, she has different walking videos, and do as much as you can, increasing your exercise time length every day.

^^^THIS^^^ Go there and try it now for a minute, then go there tomorrow and do it for a minute and 10 seconds--then keep going.
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Your diet is most important. Exercise if and when you can, but you will be successful if you are careful with your diet. You can do this. Congratulations on your wedding.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    90% of weight loss will be from your diet. Cut your calories for weight loss and get whatever exercise you can handle for fitness. It will be far easier to cut 3500 calories a week from your food intake than it will be to exercise it off.

Walking is a great exercise to begin with and will become easier as you lose but you have to realize that you'll never out exercise a bad diet.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Talk with this guy:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/howietwopointzero

He's been losing weight fairly consistently for a good long time. As far as I can tell he just about exclusively uses the Zombies! Run! app and bicycling as his forms of exercise.