What protien powder is best for women?

Options
2»

Replies

• Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm using the same powder that my fiance uses. He's lifting heavy weights and is a (non-competing) builder. I'm just a middle-aged woman looking to lose some fat since it's starting to settle in my abdominal area now.
    We're both on the keto diet.
    I was lactose intolerant for the past 10 years, but I've been having a probiotic tea for the past year or so, keto since October, and I have no problem with dairy now. Go figure. Heard the same thing from another guy at work who went on keto before me who's NOT taking the tea, though, so who knows. Most of the protein powders SAY they are lactose-free, but I've always been skeptical of that claim since hard cheeses are also supposed to be lactose-free and those used to uhhh...give me problems. If you're lactose intolerant, try the tea (Bigelow Lemon Ginger Probiotic) for a while, then try the whey powder. See how you do.

Fiance has tried a few different powders. Before keto, he used the Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Natural Whey. Now we both use Dymatize Nutrition Iso-100 Hydrolyzed 100% Whey Protein Isolate. It's sweetened with sucralose and/or stevia, depending on the flavour, and is very low carb. Personally, I'm a chocoholic and I love the gourmet chocolate. Fiance is tired of it and is rocking the vanilla. Sometimes when I'm sick of the act of eating (was a seafood vegetarian for 26 years, and started eating meat again when I started this diet), I make a "meal replacement shake" with the powder, almond-coconut milk, and oils/fats. It blends very well in a shaker bottle, and is easily absorbed.

-T.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Get organised in whether you want to build muscle OR lose fat first.
    You'll store protein, carbs, fat and alcohol as fat if you eat over your calorie needs.
    Some of it will be muscle if you're working a heavy lifting routine.
    Protein powders are a waste of a good meal opportunity, but if you have to, to reach your .8g of body weight per pound goals, any one will do.
    They'll make your tummy do the samba though, and generally taste like Devils yak.

I love my greek yoghurt and am lactose intolerant, will look into this tea idea, thanks!
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    i compete in beauty pageants and I'm taking workouts and nutrition very seriously. Pageant is in late June
    I'm 5'6", about 120 lbs, size 2

I'm looking for a protien powder than can help me reach my goals. I want to lose fat and build muscle (tone up) I heard %100 Whey Gold Standard was good? But not sure. Any help would very appreciate it!!!!

Also, about how many calories should I be eating. I'm a vegetarian so I eat absolutely no meat or fish. I'll gladly receive tips and advice!!!!

Go to Scooby's website and find your tdee.

If you're really serious, find your maintenance without exercise, test it out by meticulously weighing food and eating to goal, weigh yourself everyday and get a rolling average.

Then use a Garmin to get your specific exercise burns. Test again. Eat calories burned. Find YOUR numbers.

Go on a short bulk and then cut in the weeks leading up to the big day, have a couple of low carb low liquid days before the comp.

You may want to come to the gaining weight section for great advice.