I'm not overweight afterall?

Options
13»

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Apparently, "vanity" weight calculators are en vogue now, right?

Yuuup. Every frame size calculator seems underestimate weight problems. BMI and Body Fat % are the best standards to start with for goal setting. I only add BF% because BMI is inaccurate when BF% is low. Most people can use BMI on its own.

But it's really difficult to get an accurate BF reading too ..scales are rubbish, calipers not great etc

BMI is rot though on an individual level ...inappropriate for 25-30% of population..huge number of outliers
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Here is a link to a tool that is supposed to calculate your ideal body weight: http://www.healthcentral.com/diet-exercise/ideal-body-weight-3146-143.html?ic=4004

I thought it was interesting because I put my numbers in and it told me that I'm only overweight by 1.2 pounds. Even the low number is higher than my current goal. I'm curious if other people get similar results.

Well, my BMI is 22.3, and my body fat is in the acceptable range, and it told me I was overweight by 0.6 lbs, which is silly.

However, its suggestion of an ideal weight of about 114-125 is consistent with my personal goal of 120 and sense of how I would look best, so not bad.

I do think I have a small frame and I also have narrow wrists, but I don't think that's always a particularly good way to judge frame size. (I also have very long thin fingers--back when I played the piano people always thought I should be more naturally talented than I am based on my hands, which is of course also ridiculous.)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I disagree with this. When I was lighter, my fingers touched. Depending on my sodium intake, my fingers may or may not touch. Does that mean my frame size changes each day? No. Also, this gave me a weight range that is above my doctor's recommendation.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm surprised how many low BMI people hang out in the Weight Loss forum. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

HINT: we -most of us- didn't start out low-ish BMI. I'm down 50+ from the high point at the moment ... and still heading in the right direction.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to a tool that is supposed to calculate your ideal body weight: http://www.healthcentral.com/diet-exercise/ideal-body-weight-3146-143.html?ic=4004

I thought it was interesting because I put my numbers in and it told me that I'm only overweight by 1.2 pounds. Even the low number is higher than my current goal. I'm curious if other people get similar results.

How fun!

Plays into my vanity just fine, since I am in the healthy weight range but towards the lower end. :D
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Ideal weight range is 168 - 184.8 lbs. (76.4 - 84 kg.).
    You are underweight.

(NOTE: height = 6' 0", current weight = 156, BMI = 21.2 ==> nowhere near "underweight" (18.5))

"Your ideal weight range-- 168 - 184.8 lbs. (76.4 - 84 kg.). --is based on a formula that calculates what a healthy weight is for most people of your height (72 inches) and frame size (Small)."

Apparently, "vanity" weight calculators are en vogue now, right?
    Here you go:

df09_11_24_rnb.jpg

• MynameisJerryB
    MynameisJerryB Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I actually found it to be fairly accurate although the frame size measurement is questionable but I carry allot of muscle. I remember when I was in my early 20's, I was in the gym for 4 hours 3 days a week (M,W,F) and ran 15 miles twice a week(Tue.Thur). I had maybe 1/2% body fat and I weighed 189 at 6'2". I had an Air Force Doctor tell me that I was over weight and I should have been 174. Absolute absurdity! I have found that a healthy range for me is 190 to 215 and that's right where this chart puts me . According to the chart a medium frame ideal weight for me is 190-209 and a large frame is 200-220 lbs.