Do you allow yourself a day off?

Options

Replies

• Ooci
    Ooci Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'm in the 14th month of this. There are days off, there are weeks off. There have even been fortnights off. Durings those offs, I have plateaued or gained - though the most I've gained is 2lb, of which I'm extremely proud, as that is telling me I've really switched into healthy eating most of the time. And I've come back renewed and refreshed.
    It's important for my sanity. And I will not do MFP on holiday, or special days. I need the oases of indulgence to help me spend so much time swimming in the seas of discipline.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Why?

Set the parameters of you diet/nutrition such that you don't need one.

If you need "a day off" or a "cheat day", then you're doin' it wrong: unsustainable deprivation does not a successful lifestyle change make.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I allow myself a bit of leeway a couple days a month. Not a day off per se, but I might have a little more yogurt, a little less salad. Before I started keto I would allow myself a 1/4 cup of icecream on those days. But I'm super obsessive about logging, so I never really go over, more of an issue with under most days.
  • kmp143094
    Options
    I eat a tiny ice cream from a local place once a week. It's a froyo it's not horrible for you but it's empty calories. But only if I'm good all week. And every day I eat one sweet thing like 3 chocolate chips or a mini resees cup. If I'm good all day.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    No, 'cause I'd undo a week's progress in a day if I did that.

Instead, I recognize that life happens sometimes, and if I occasionally want to fit in a bigger meal, I plan around it. Other than that, I try to stick to my calorie goals every day.
  • dishonour
    dishonour Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I used to but found I was going way too overboard. I also fell into the mindset of 'well I've had a day off, what's one more?' and manage to slump for 3-4 days. My problem is willpower so I find it best to avoid temptation, otherwise I find it harder to resist after one day off plan.
    If I know of an upcoming blowout - birthday/anniversary/holiday - I'll stick rigid until that event then factor it in and aways log, even on bad days. For me logging the bad stuff keeps in my mind that I'm accountable should I unravel my own progress.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's the same idea, at least to my mind, with logging a planned indulgence day. Make it part of your ongoing plan and it loses the aura of forbidden fruit. You'll know there's another one coming along in another few weeks or so.

I agree with this, but I think for a lot of people taking a day off logging isn't about indulgences or hiding them, but simply about not having to log. When I didn't log over Christmas (other than the day itself), I ate basically the same as I always do. The logging vacation was more because logging at my parents' house would have been a bit of a hassle and, more so, because it was just a nice change not to have to try to estimate everything. It didn't mean that I was going to start eating millions of extra calories, like some seem to think.

In fact, I think this idea that if you don't log you will feel free to go nuts ought to be something people are concerned about (if they have it) and work to avoid, since you shouldn't feel like if not watched (i.e., not logging) you will lose all control. I think logging is a nice way to keep yourself mindful, but it shouldn't be so significant that you can't trust yourself to have a day off without thinking you will go wild, as some have suggested.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    There are certainly days where I don't stick to my goals but I still log it out of interest. I think the only day I didn't log recently was Xmas but that's because I didn't do any of the cooking.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm one of the rare ones who does allow a day off every once in a while - and I'm not ashamed :smile:

Every few weeks to a month I give myself a break for a day. Eat what I like, don't log it, start fresh the next day. I've lost over 50 pounds so far so clearly this works for me.

I ate an entire bag of cheetos last week, didn't log it and still managed to lose weight B)
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    In fact, I think this idea that if you don't log you will feel free to go nuts ought to be something people are concerned about (if they have it) and work to avoid, since you shouldn't feel like if not watched (i.e., not logging) you will lose all control. I think logging is a nice way to keep yourself mindful, but it shouldn't be so significant that you can't trust yourself to have a day off without thinking you will go wild, as some have suggested.

This is REALLY important, and a theme that came up in the other thread with the debate about TV shows like the Biggest Loser.

The truth is that most of us could lose weight in a lab rat setting, with strictly controlled diet and exercise, and no other real-life complications or obligations. However, that's useless, because you don't actually learn how to maintain the loss in the real world, and most people quickly gain it back.

Giving up that strict control -- that crutch of the food scale -- and learning how to eat within your calories in any and all situations -- vacations, social events, travel, restaurants -- is one of those key, important life skills that will allow you to maintain the lifestyle change and weight loss for life.

I don't give myself "cheat" days where I can eat whatever I want. But I do take logging breaks, most recently for two weeks on vacation to Mexico, where weighing and detailed logging would have been impossible anyway. I trusted myself to make healthy food choices and not to go overboard, and sure enough, I lost 4 pounds on the trip.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

This is REALLY important, and a theme that came up in the other thread with the debate about TV shows like the Biggest Loser.

The truth is that most of us could lose weight in a lab rat setting, with strictly controlled diet and exercise, and no other real-life complications or obligations. However, that's useless, because you don't actually learn how to maintain the loss in the real world, and most people quickly gain it back.

Giving up that strict control -- that crutch of the food scale -- and learning how to eat within your calories in any and all situations -- vacations, social events, travel, restaurants -- is one of those key, important life skills that will allow you to maintain the lifestyle change and weight loss for life.

I don't give myself "cheat" days where I can eat whatever I want. But I do take logging breaks, most recently for two weeks on vacation to Mexico, where weighing and detailed logging would have been impossible anyway. I trusted myself to make healthy food choices and not to go overboard, and sure enough, I lost 4 pounds on the trip.

I couldn't agree more. I went through the entire holiday season (from Thanksgiving to New Years Day) barely logging at all. And you know what happened? Nothing. I didn't gain an ounce. And trust me - I ate. Like - a lot. But I also used portion control, ate when I was hungry, stopped when I was full.

• soltris
    soltris Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    No, I do not take any days off of logging. Some of those days will be over my limit, and that's fine with me as I'd much rather have the hard data to look back upon later after I've forgotten about any one particular day. Everybody's different, but for me if I wasn't logging everything I ate I know I'd be taking little (and not so little) nibbles of things here and there and conveniently forgetting about it later. The accountability of the log keeps me honest with myself.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I log every day. It's less about weight loss and more with an eye to accurate data for maintenance purposes. If I don't know what my weight is doing relative to consumption, I can't imagine I'm going to be able to keep the weight off after I have lost it.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    OK - so for those of you who log every day: Is this something you are planning to do for life? Or just until you lose all your weight? Or until you've been at maintenance for a while?

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

I agree with this, but I think for a lot of people taking a day off logging isn't about indulgences or hiding them, but simply about not having to log. When I didn't log over Christmas (other than the day itself), I ate basically the same as I always do. The logging vacation was more because logging at my parents' house would have been a bit of a hassle and, more so, because it was just a nice change not to have to try to estimate everything. It didn't mean that I was going to start eating millions of extra calories, like some seem to think.

Definitely this. I'm a lot more lax about my logging than I used to be, but then, I've gotten better at estimating what my calories are that I'm eating. For holidays, I do eat in moderation and I don't pig out on anything (except home made Chex mix!), so I don't worry about those days. And for things like State Fair, yeah, I'm going to have my corn dog and funnel cake and maybe try some of the other fried things, but I'm also walking a LOT. As in, 4-5 hours walking around. Not cardio, but burning a lot more calories than I normally do. I don't log those days because I have no way to estimate calories in or calories burned. I'm not going to carry a food scale to the fairgrounds! XD

For me, logging has to become a habit, so even if I don't log a full day, I'm at least double-checking my estimates and adjusting where necessary. I'll be doing it for probably the rest of my life, but I'm also not stressing over EVERY. SINGLE. CALORIE. It keeps me on track and makes me aware of what I actually am eating, and I can adjust on the fly a lot better now than I used to be able to!
  • keziak1
    keziak1 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've made a deal with myself: no Coke except for one drink when I go out to a movie. No greasy popcorn or boxes of candy like I used to eat, but a reasonably low calorie treat that I can sneak in.
  • soltris
    soltris Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    OK - so for those of you who log every day: Is this something you are planning to do for life? Or just until you lose all your weight? Or until you've been at maintenance for a while?

I'll likely be counting for life but recognize that that is not a solution for everybody. Some background: When I was in my twenties I lost 100+ pounds through diet and exercise, though I treated it as a (temporary) diet. When I got where I wanted to go, I said "Well I've got this now, I know what to do and some cheating here and there won't hurt anything." A couple years later, I had gained it all back plus interest and am now on the path back down again.

I'm just under two years into my journey this time around, and it'll be another two years or so before I'm at my goal weight. I actually like logging and using both it and the food scale as a check against my estimation - I'm getting pretty good at measuring out exactly one or two ounces of a lot of things! If doing that every day forever is what will keep me accountable and at a healthy weight then I will gladly do it. Some people don't need to log as much or at all after hitting maintenance and that's cool too; I'm doing what I am confident will work for me.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

I plan to log for life, and it's funny that you should ask this. I was just thinking along theses lines. I think that some of the varying answers in this thread might come down to the answer to the question you're asking here.

I've had a weight problem pretty much most of my life and though I just started losing weight, I think I finally have gotten to the bottom of all my issues with everything. For me, now, it's just about putting habits in place. I've dieted before, successfully and unsuccessfully. I want this to be not a diet, but just something I do to keep this area of my life... well, it's like fitness. I go to the gym to keep my pain levels in check. I'll log my food intake and weigh daily to keep my food behaviors in check since I've used denial in the past to hide from myself.

• AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    soltris wrote: »

I'll likely be counting for life but recognize that that is not a solution for everybody. Some background: When I was in my twenties I lost 100+ pounds through diet and exercise, though I treated it as a (temporary) diet. When I got where I wanted to go, I said "Well I've got this now, I know what to do and some cheating here and there won't hurt anything." A couple years later, I had gained it all back plus interest and am now on the path back down again.

I'm just under two years into my journey this time around, and it'll be another two years or so before I'm at my goal weight. I actually like logging and using both it and the food scale as a check against my estimation - I'm getting pretty good at measuring out exactly one or two ounces of a lot of things! If doing that every day forever is what will keep me accountable and at a healthy weight then I will gladly do it. Some people don't need to log as much or at all after hitting maintenance and that's cool too; I'm doing what I am confident will work for me.

That makes total sense. You know that logging keeps you on track and with 2 years left to go I can see why you would feel the need to remain as accountable as possible while reaching your goal.

I'm pretty much at maintenance - which is why my logging has been on and off. But I was at a 100 day streak up until Christmas. I'd still like to lose 8 pounds but it's not the end of the world if I don't.

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    nope, I go 7 days a week, 2 to 3 hours cardio a day, love it!