Too many options!!

Options
I have recently started back on the weight loss band wagon after having a baby (surprise at 42yrs) and am having issues with all the different advice on what to eat!! High carbs after workout, high fat in am to keep you full, eat this not that unless this.....I often find myself dreading EVERY thing I put in my mouth and worrying that I am sabotaging the goal. I would love to just do calorie counting but again some say that is not the right way either. I'd love to find something super easy to follow that doesn't make me feel guilty about everything and feel like giving up.....thoughts???

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Who says counting calories is not the right way? Many, many successful people on here have lost loads of weight counting calories.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If your goal is weight loss, all thats required is a caloric deficit.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I can only tell you what worked for me, and how I've finally lost the baby weight (my youngest is 10)

I threw away everything I knew about dieting: every low carb, meal timing, good food / bad food, weightwatchers, slimming world etc ...yes I've done them all in the last 20 years, haven't we all. And you know what not one of them worked long term, I would lose weight then gain again...and more. I think that's a familiar pattern

So I chose to throw away all the noise and JUST focus on calories in and calories out

I weigh and log everything. I take care with database selections. I changed up my goal loss as I lost so I'm now at 0.5lbs a week

I move more..I have a fitbit which makes me walk more and a PT who makes me work harder. I log workout calories with my HRM but with care. I try to eat at least 100g protein a day and I lift heavy stuff ..with so much pride :smile:

I eat all my calories, never over over the week but sometimes under by up to 500

I eat chocolate, crisps, go to friends houses for dinner, out for supper. I drink wine, eat ice cream.

And that's it

Calorie defecit ...works!

Not stopping ..ever ...even in maintenance it's no hassle to weigh and log
  • mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    When I had to change my diet due to health issues my husband said, don't think about the things you can't have, think about the things you like and can have. It took a lot of stress off me when meal planning. Then there is the old saying, everything in moderation. I would suggest you not over think it, figure out your calories and go from there. Good luck!
  • k9subsea
    k9subsea Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yea MFP and counting calories has been very helpful, i am on no diet supplements or major exercise torture! I am not doing anything other that making sure I am in a deficit each day.... 55lbs down in 3 months.... I would say it works!!!!
  • MynameisJerryB
    MynameisJerryB Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Just track your calories and eat what you want (just less of it). You don't want to deprive yourself of what you love or you'll set yourself up for failure. It's simple math. Consume less calories than burn and you will loss weight. Just do it slow and steady and don't make unrealistic goals.
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Just count calories. MFP can guide you. The only thing you shouldn't eat (IMO) is trans fat. Unless you have food allergies or some other medical reason to eliminate some type of food, eat whatever you like. As long as you're meeting your calorie goal, you'll be fine.
  • cerad2
    cerad2 Posts: 70 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Who says counting calories is not the right way? Many, many successful people on here have lost loads of weight counting calories.
    Just out of curiosity, how many people would that be? And how does that compare with people who have lost weight without calorie counting?
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Tracking calories has got to be the easiest approach to weight loss. It's all about simple math. More out than in. Easy peasy.
  • imabeevampire
    imabeevampire Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    i calorie count and exercise, :) working so far :)
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit works for me but not in the long term. The only thing that sticks for me is cutting out sugar. When I cut out the sugar my appetite goes back to normal so I'm not fighting cravings all the time, thus I eat less. So perhaps calorie deficit does work for me but only if I'm taking into consideration how different foods effect my body.
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    if you stress too much about what you're eating it will ruin your experience and you will not be as successful. Yes what you eat it is important but calories in and calories out is the most important. Just enjoy it, have fun, and you'll find as you watch your calorie intake you will naturally start eating healthier foods anyway.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Eat less, move more- works for me! 65 lbs down and maintained for over a year. I pretty much eat whatever I want only in smaller portions. I'm short and older, so I have a pretty low maintenance level. I exercise more so I can eat more (I eat back some of my exercise calories.)
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    cerad2 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, how many people would that be? And how does that compare with people who have lost weight without calorie counting?

I'm one who lost with just calorie counting. The pounds I did lose went faster when I added exercise, but I started out with just calorie counting and that got me down about 10 lbs. I don't have the healthiest diet in the world, but I can make what I want fit into my daily limit, so it works. I don't know about other people, everyone has their own system and method. The thing is, the calorie counting is maintainable for me. I'm not eating special foods or cutting out sweets or anything like that. I could probably do that short term to lose the weight, but I would be miserable and once I hit that target I would want to add them back in and end up gaining again. Even though I'll be logging for probably the rest of my life, at least this way I know I can keep it up and I know it will help me get to and STAY at my target weight. That alone is worth the five minutes it usually takes me to log my food.

• k9subsea
    k9subsea Posts: 21 Member
    Options

I am here to say that I have done it both ways and counting is the way that it has worked best for me! I went through boot camp.... weight watchers.... paelo...... atkins..... slim fast.... three gym memberships 1 with personal trainer.... a bunch of money spent on diet pills and supplements....

the thing that I have had success with is a free app call MFP!!!!

See with all of the above diets it still comes back to CICO!

Exercise alone will not get it done! Exercise is good for you, lowers BP, strengthens the body and heart all great things but if you bring it down to the ground level and consider weight loss alone....

caloric deficit = weight loss....

I am living proof.... I have avg 4lbs a week since Oct and only logg a grand total of 9 miles walked in that time frame!

I know we are all built different but I have now coached or am coaching 2 others, both of which are losing just as I did

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Have you looked at the success boards? Most people have found counting calories is the key to weight loss. You may be different @‌cerad2 ?
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I threw away everything I knew about dieting: every low carb, meal timing, good food / bad food, weightwatchers, slimming world etc ...yes I've done them all in the last 20 years, haven't we all. And you know what not one of them worked long term, I would lose weight then gain again...and more. I think that's a familiar pattern

So I chose to throw away all the noise and JUST focus on calories in and calories out

I could have written this part myself. I was just like the OP but when I did this, I finally lost 30 pounds and I'm still going . . .
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    Google is your BFF.

Do your own research and consciously & honestly assess what will work best for you.

Don't be afraid to explore what will work for you and take note what doesn't.

In my own experience, getting healthy (losing weight) is a series of trial & errors because we are all different requiring very different approaches & techniques.

That is probably why weight loss in general is so challenging because there is no magic formula that will work for everyone all the time.

You just have to kind of collect the information and ponder what makes sense to you. What will work in your lifestyle / schedule.

If you have the time, check out the link: huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/14/weight-loss-maintenance-tips-success_n_6425542.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

These are a summary of tips from long-term maintainers from the National Weight Control Registry. A very good read for beginners to keep in mind. Especially #1
    1. They make the transition from losing to maintaining as seamless as possible.

Best of luck to you!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    K8cain wrote: »
    I have recently started back on the weight loss band wagon after having a baby (surprise at 42yrs) and am having issues with all the different advice on what to eat!! High carbs after workout, high fat in am to keep you full, eat this not that unless this.....I often find myself dreading EVERY thing I put in my mouth and worrying that I am sabotaging the goal. I would love to just do calorie counting but again some say that is not the right way either. I'd love to find something super easy to follow that doesn't make me feel guilty about everything and feel like giving up.....thoughts???

You can eat whatever and lose weight as long as you burn more calories than you consume. That is what it all boils down to.
    You don't need to eliminate whole food groups. It doesn't really matter what time of day you consume your calories. You don't need to feel guilty about consuming food.
    Some foods have more nutrients and you would want to eat them to stay healthy vs filling up your day with low nutrient foods. Eat smaller portions of high calorie foods. Eat foods with protein. Eat foods with some fat. Eat foods with fiber. Eat vegetables and fruits. Drink water.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs calories out, as mentioned above. If you want a specific diet/woe with guidelines and a stricter eat this not that, then pick one stick with it for a month-6 weeks. If it isn't working out for you, try something else. But always count your calories. Those who say not to worry about calories are usually people doing keto/paleo. I do keto, the reason so many people on these diets say that is because many of us feel full and happy loooooooooong before we meet our calorie goal for the day. This isn't the case for everyone on any diet though. So log and count.