85lbs down and now stuck!

Options
I have been using MFP since July and have had a pretty regular weight loss - 85 lbs gone and looking all the better for it. However.... for the last 3 weeks I haven't lost so much as an ounce. I have continued just the same, weighing everything, eating under my calorie totals and exercising the same ( only a little as I am unable to do much due to bad knees). I am getting desperate - how can I be maintaining on around 1000 calories every day? I have been advised to eat more, but I can't see how that will help and I really don't want to go over my daily total. Any helpful advice??

Replies

• shadowloss
    shadowloss Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    No magic wand available, keep doing what your doing with Patients and Persistence. I'm sure your body is just trying to catch up. I've never lost the amount you have, congrats by the way, but I have reached points where I stall for a month or longer. It is frustrating as hell, but just keep the faith, the needle will move. Best of Luck through this difficult time.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be able to move much if I ate only 1000 calories a day. I'd couch and my TDEE would probably be about the same as my BMR.

I'd eat more if for no other reason than so I can function well enough to move more. But that's me.
  • saggyandbaggy
    saggyandbaggy Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    thanks - it is good to know that this happens to others too. it is soo frustrating!
  • peblesboop
    peblesboop Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    When you continue to do the same thing everyday your body adapts causing you to plato. You need to change it up with your exercise and your caloric intake.
  • saggyandbaggy
    Options
    I could try eating less -- my daily goal is 1200 and I am usually about 150 below this, so would need to go very low to change it up
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    I know you said your exercise is limited, but what DO you do? 85 lbs. is a HUGE success so congrats for that! The less you have to lose the slower it takes, too. Three weeks is also common to not see a change at all. Your body needs time to adapt. Take care of it and be patient.
  • saggyandbaggy
    Options
    I use a recumbent exercise bike for about 10 minutes every other day. I don't count the calories in.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    I could try eating less -- my daily goal is 1200 and I am usually about 150 below this, so would need to go very low to change it up

No no... 1200 is the bare minimum you should be eating. You should be meeting that number, not being 150 below that. May I ask if you're WEIGHING your food and MEASURING liquids?
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    What are your stats and activity level? It's very possible you're eating too little (1200 may be not enough).
  • kstatekim70
    Options
    Have you measured yourself? The scale isn't always the best way to measure our true success. I journal and measure everything on my body, that is your true success story - your inches lost. The scale may not move but that waistband will continue to do so.
  • saggyandbaggy
    Options
    I do weigh and measure everything. I am pretty sedentary and follow the calorie guidelines set by MFP. It has worked well until 2015! I didn't measure myself at the start unfortunately, so I have no idea if things are changing, but I can measure now and see how things move.
  • cactusscraps
    cactusscraps Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Another user offered advice on another post about resetting your goals/settings to your new weight as everything is set with the older heavier weight. That will adjust your levels and go from there. Keep it up and congrats on the 85 lbs!
  • saggyandbaggy
    Options
    I calorie allowance has gone down each time I lost 10 lbs. I might have to accept a slower loss as I get lighter.
  • chuck636
    chuck636 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I lost 45lbs and then froze for almost 6 weeks and then it started back up
  • Dee51979
    Dee51979 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've lost 26 lbs and now weight loss has been at a standstill for the last month. Hang in there.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    This is quite common. The closer you get to goal the harder it is to move the weight. Personally and with my Doctorate's in MFP forums, I believe you are eating too little. 85 pounds is quite the success.

I am below my original goal and working toward my secondary. I have not lost one single pound in 3 months, but my fat percent has been decreasing. My clothes that were "perfect" are now so loose it's embarrassing! I'm trying to figure out ways to make clothes fit better without buying new stuff but ... buying new stuff is fun!

Originally I wanted to lose 20 pounds. Updated it was an additional 3-5. Those stupid 3-5 pounds won't go. But that's ok because (bro-science) I have more muscle mass and less fat mass. I'll take that trade off :)

• bkhamill
    bkhamill Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    When I have hit plateau's I have to bump up my calories by 100 or 200 for about 3 days to get past it, your body starts to think you are starving and starts holding on to everything, you have to say, "Hey, you are not starving" to wake it up again, take in a few more calories for just a few days and when the scale moves again, back off again to where you were. It has worked for me more than once.
  • dawnlbares
    Options
    as a weight loss patient (down 115 pounds and kept it off for 5+ yrs), I can tell you saggyandbaggy that sometimes your body will go into "starvation mode" if you aren't getting enough calories... sometime a 2 day liquid diet works for me to jumpstart everything again...sometimes it just takes me 'waking things up' just by having 1 day that I go beyond that 1000 calories... hope that helps and I am so happy that you have lost that much!! CONGRATS!!

• Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I use a recumbent exercise bike for about 10 minutes every other day. I don't count the calories in.
    Congratulations on your weight loss so far!

Could you increase your exercise, either by using the bike for longer or using it more often? That might help get your weight loss moving again, by helping you burn a few more calories. And, as others have said, you may just need to be patient while your body is adjusting. However, please don't listen to anyone telling you to eat more. If you are not losing weight, increasing your calories is not the correct solution.

• barlovo
    barlovo Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    First - congrats - 85 lbs is a huge success. Plateaus are normal parts of the weight loss process, and plateaus give us a chance to practice keeping the weight off (maintaining).

Some ideas for breaking through plateaus, you might want to think about increasing your calories, with a focus on lean protein and healthy fats. Check in about your exercise - is there a way to safely increase intensity? For example if you walk, can you walk up more hills or do intervals of walking faster?

finally just be patient. My nutritionist told me that a medical weight loss plateau is defined as 6+ weeks at the same weight. I recently went through a 1 year+ plateau after losing 70 lbs, but now I am starting to lose again. Hang in there!