Workout advice

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    AliceDark wrote: »
    One of two things is happening -- either 1600 is too high for you to lose, or you're eating more than you think. I'd bet money it's the latter, given that you're a little sporadic with your logging and you don't weigh your food. I resisted getting a food scale for the longest time, because I didn't want to get too obsessive, but it's actually helped. For example, I have a fairly good idea of what a 150g apple looks like, so if I'm at work and don't have my scale, I'm confident that I'm grabbing an apple that's somewhere in that ballpark and I don't have to wonder whether I'm eating a "small" or "medium" apple. (Not the best example, but it's the first thing that came to mind since I just ate an apple). Plus, it's so much easier to just scoop yogurt into a bowl on the scale than it is to scoop it into a measuring cup and then scrape it out of the cup into the bowl. I'm lazy and hate washing dishes :)

I'm curious about all the "homemade" entries in your diary. Did you enter those yourself using the recipe builder tool, or were they someone else's? I always assume that someone else's "homemade" entry is guaranteed to be wrong for me. Same with anything marked "generic." Entries with asterisks are user-entered, so I don't trust them for anything except packaged foods where I can compare the entry to the label. One exception -- anything that includes the phrase "USDA" is probably accurate, because the person probably created that entry using USDA information.

Op, echoing this.

If you ever doubt something in the MFP database and it's not pre-packaged, double check it.
    Here's the USDA database: http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    It's probably not a good sign that I'm embarrassed for people to look at my food diary
    Don't be. Nobody's diary is perfect, and there are a lot of little tips and tricks for using the MFP database that nobody realizes at first. There's a learning curve before you get good at this :)

We're assuming that you're eating more than you think, but the other question is: what's causing that? Are you eating more than you think due to inaccurate logging on a daily basis, or are you probably at your target 75% of the time and then go way over 25% of the time? Those two issues have slightly different solutions?

To be clear: there's nothing wrong with eating less some days and eating more other days. The issue comes in when that 25% of the time causes you to blow past your weekly average intake.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Get your diary in order and you'll see the results on the scale. That's really where all the results happen. The more accurate your logging the better.
  • lishie_rebooted
    What do you have your activity level set at? It should not be sedentary if you are on your feet all day.

someone quote this

Jeff, I feel like I should follow you around the forums and just quote you all day haha
  • Jankatherton
    Jankatherton Posts: 70 Member
    One of two things is happening -- either 1600 is too high for you to lose, or you're eating more than you think. I'd bet money it's the latter, given that you're a little sporadic with your logging and you don't weigh your food. I resisted getting a food scale for the longest time, because I didn't want to get too obsessive, but it's actually helped. For example, I have a fairly good idea of what a 150g apple looks like, so if I'm at work and don't have my scale, I'm confident that I'm grabbing an apple that's somewhere in that ballpark and I don't have to wonder whether I'm eating a "small" or "medium" apple. (Not the best example, but it's the first thing that came to mind since I just ate an apple). Plus, it's so much easier to just scoop yogurt into a bowl on the scale than it is to scoop it into a measuring cup and then scrape it out of the cup into the bowl. I'm lazy and hate washing dishes :)

I'm curious about all the "homemade" entries in your diary. Did you enter those yourself using the recipe builder tool, or were they someone else's? I always assume that someone else's "homemade" entry is guaranteed to be wrong for me. Same with anything marked "generic." Entries with asterisks are user-entered, so I don't trust them for anything except packaged foods where I can compare the entry to the label. One exception -- anything that includes the phrase "USDA" is probably accurate, because the person probably created that entry using USDA information.

I try to overestimate the calorie amount in food whenever possible. Like if I'm not 100% sure the calories in a pizza are accurate then I say I had an extra piece than I did have.
    You are right about the homemade selections I put they are probably not 100% accurate. But I believe they are close and again I always over estimate my portion size just in case.

But yeah I probably need to be more accurate there
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    haha thanks.
  • lishie_rebooted

I try to overestimate the calorie amount in food whenever possible. Like if I'm not 100% sure the calories in a pizza are accurate then I say I had an extra piece than I did have.
    You are right about the homemade selections I put they are probably not 100% accurate. But I believe they are close and again I always over estimate my portion size just in case.

If it's something you made yourself, use the recipe builder and do that way. It'll be far more accurate than your current method. If you're eating out, then yeah overestimate.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    edited January 2015
    food scale. the end.

• Jankatherton
    603reader wrote: »

If it's something you made yourself, use the recipe builder and do that way. It'll be far more accurate than your current method. If you're eating out, then yeah overestimate.

I make it myself. I always make the pizza we eat and use chicken sausage as the meat rather than pepperoni and all that
  • lishie_rebooted

I make it myself. I always make the pizza we eat and use chicken sausage as the meat rather than pepperoni and all that

Then use the recipe builder.
    There's nothing wrong with pepperoni & "all that" in moderation
  • Jankatherton
    What do you have your activity level set at? It should not be sedentary if you are on your feet all day.

someone quote this

Jeff, I feel like I should follow you around the forums and just quote you all day haha

It's set at lightly active
  • erikajane88
    erikajane88 Posts: 14 Member
    Portion control is a biggie.. your workout routine is awesome... you can always switch it up too.. maybe take up running or more strength training..

you could be gaining muscle too.. looking at pictures.. do you seem more toned?

I would try your food intake without pizza and beer for two weeks and see what happens or enjoy a lighter beer and once piece of pizza. Change your routine and track.. you will get there! You have a busy life style so I would recommend meal planning.. once a week I set aside an hour two complete meal preps for my week... I have noticed a huge change and I am not tempted to buy that sandwich at work!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    I wouldn't lower calories - I'm 5'8", 46 years old, and I went from 145 to 135-ish eating around 2000 cals a day, complete with beer and pizza nights.

I agree with the others that your issue may be inaccurate logging. Get yourself a food scale and start getting into the habit of weighing and measuring as much as possible. Once you know for sure how much you're eating, make sure you're also eating to fuel all those workouts.

And if you're only using a scale to track your own progress, get yourself a tape measure and start tracking your measurements. I dropped a full size without losing a pound on the scale over a six month period. Pay attention to how your clothes are fitting, and snap a few progress pics for comparison along the way - often you'll see changes that way that you might not notice in the mirror every day.
  • JeffseekingV
    Probably not gaining muscle on that routine. Not enough lifting. Hopefully not LOSING muscle though.

Someone quote this. 603, when I click your profile, I can't get to it to add as friend. Some odd URL not found thing comes up.
  • Jankatherton
    So basically this all comes down to diet?
    I hate dieting so much that I'd honestly rather workout 3 hours a day than change my diet ahah
  • lishie_rebooted
    Probably not gaining muscle on that routine. Not enough lifting. Hopefully not LOSING muscle though.

Someone quote this. 603, when I click your profile, I can't get to it to add as friend. Some odd URL not found thing comes up.

Apparently my old name is still popping up in the forums.. I changed my username this morning
  • Jankatherton
    AmyRhubarb wrote: »
    I wouldn't lower calories - I'm 5'8", 46 years old, and I went from 145 to 135-ish eating around 2000 cals a day, complete with beer and pizza nights.

I agree with the others that your issue may be inaccurate logging. Get yourself a food scale and start getting into the habit of weighing and measuring as much as possible. Once you know for sure how much you're eating, make sure you're also eating to fuel all those workouts.

And if you're only using a scale to track your own progress, get yourself a tape measure and start tracking your measurements. I dropped a full size without losing a pound on the scale over a six month period. Pay attention to how your clothes are fitting, and snap a few progress pics for comparison along the way - often you'll see changes that way that you might not notice in the mirror every day.

I think I have been adding some muscle but the flab is still there for sure
  • lishie_rebooted

Newbie gains, maybe.
    You're doing mostly cardio and in a deficit (maybe...)
  • JeffseekingV

Newbie gains, maybe.
    You're doing mostly cardio and in a deficit (maybe...)

Thanks. I like your sarcastic humor that I see sometimes. added
  • evonycandy
    evonycandy Posts: 4 Member
    What are you drinking...I do not see any water intake... or anything other than coffee in the morning.... You need lots of water... as I myself have found that with out enough water, I do not lose either.