Has anybody tried walking as exercise?

Options

Replies

• lauraspberry
    lauraspberry Posts: 655 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thanks you guys for the wonderful insights :) I am thinking of doing the new Insanity workout program which only take 30 mins everyday but I doubt i can do my best on it since I am usually sleep deprived. I used to do the original Insanity program before when I had more time, I finished it and had amazing results. However, now I feel like I'm dwindling and getting flabby haha. I'll look into the right strength exercise for me so thanks for the suggestion :D free weights bore me lol

Well I am studying occupational therapy so it's very consuming in terms of physical and mental energy considering I am graduating in a year that's why I said I don't have any other time except for the walk home :D

Thanks again for sharing ♥ I am more motivated now :D
  • lauraspberry
    Options
    UpEarly wrote: »
    Walking/hiking is my primary form of exercise. I lift 2 times a week when I'm feeling ambitious (usually less). I lost 66 lbs about three years ago and have kept it off ever since. Walking is enough to keep my doctor is happy with my labwork/tests. Walking is enough that I easily stay between 21-23% body fat. Walking is enough that I can keep up with my running friends if I decide I want to join them on a 5K for fun. Rarely does a day go by that I don't walk at least 5 miles over the course of the day. Lots of days I might walk 8, 10, even 15 miles. My consistent walking program keeps me fit enough that I can put on a heavy backpack and hike in the mountains all day without feeling exhausted.

So yes... walking is great exercise. And if you walk briskly over challenging terrain, it's enough exercise to maintain a pretty solid fitness level.

CONGRATULATIONS! Luckily the streets here in the Philippines are weird, there's always some random huge hump somewhere LOL
  • lauraspberry
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    I tried it for a while but walking just isn't for me. My body responds better to HIIT type workouts.

I would have chosen HIIT workouts if I had the time and energy LOL! I'd love to try Insanity Max! I already had someone buy it for me from the US. I will try hard to fit it in my schedule. Insanity worked miracles for me!
  • lauraspberry
    Options
    fish2find wrote: »
    I try to "brisk" walk at least 2 miles a day and double up when I can. Ive lost 35 pounds with just walking and diet.
    At work Im sitting at a desk much of the time, I use my two 15 minute breaks and get a mile in each break.

That is great :) I like your time management. I should walk on my free time too!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    for sure! IT WORKS! fast walking is fun
  • lauraspberry
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    Yes, but I only walk in between my strength exercises. I do strength training usually 3 times a week, maybe once or twice I'll walk, just to get some extra calorie burn. But walking doesn't do much to build muscle, unfortunately.

True, I'd probably be skinny-fat. I'll try to do home workout videos OR maybe a few minutes of yoga... still unsure
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I became my new exercising self by walking only at first. So it's a great start. Once your forty-five minutes gets easy/boring, try adding ankle or wrist weights. Or do a spin every four or five steps. This will engage different muscles and give you greater flexibility.

http://www.sharecare.com/health/walking/article/walk-this-way-tips-for-better-form
  • ovinas1
    ovinas1 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Walking is for old people. You're not old. Im caught in between and I do more intense exercise.

You can be more creative...
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Me me me. I walk around my town, looking for hills/different terrain to shake it up. If its cold I do an aerobic walking/light weights DVD. Or some yoga.
  • lauraspberry
    Options
    Me me me. I walk around my town, looking for hills/different terrain to shake it up. If its cold I do an aerobic walking/light weights DVD. Or some yoga.

What kinds of DVD do you use? :) Do you know of great yoga DVDs? thanks!
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Hey! World-class walkers can outpace runners.
  • jgnatca
    Options
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I use Leslie sansone's walk away the pounds, the DVD that has the 1,2 and 3 mile walks. Each walk has some time for using hand weights. As for yoga, I love wai lana! Id recommend her beginner DVD to anyone. My kids do it with me. You may want to check her out on Youtube first, because I have heard others complain about her soft voice and how she does all her yoga outside/vs in a studio.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The only way to have optimum results when it comes to walking alone is to pump the incline [10% incline for example] up. I attribute all my weight loss success to inclined walking and counting calories.

If you can't handle jogging/running for whatever reason, then I believe inclined walking is the next best thing.
  • ovinas1
    ovinas1 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Thats funny

Im Cuban, what can I do?
  • VBJONLY
    VBJONLY Posts: 25
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I walk daily but I also lift weights.

This is what I do!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    walking is fine exercise, but from a fitness standpoint, you're going to have limited improvements. I did nothing but walk for exercise early on when I was first getting back into shape...honestly, it was all I could really do. But my fitness aspirations ultimately went beyond being able to walk around like a normal person...now I walk on my rest days.

It really just depends on what you want to get out of it...like I said, your fitness gains are limited...but walking is pretty good for your health in general.

• katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    What I love about walking is that I can fit it in my regular day. I walk to the next town to get the train (half an hour) and take the dog out a bit more, I walk to my part time job (1hour uphill) and pop to the shops more often or to visit people. I have a Fitbit and always get my minimum 10,000 steps a day but can easily double that on busy days. I do use work out videos too but walking is a huge part of my active life :)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/sitting-for-prolonged-periods-increases-risk-of-death-disease-study-1.2196067

This interesting article discusses the dangers of prolonged sitting. Even standing is better than sitting and walking ups that even more.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Hey! World-class walkers can outpace some runners.

FIFY.