Fat loss without excersize?

Options
13»

Replies

• lemonsurprise
    lemonsurprise Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    60lbs down with no exercise. Well, in the beginning when I had loads of motivation I did go to the gym, quickly got bored as I'm naturally a lazy person, and quit!
    I walk about 6000-8000 steps a day just through my job and getting from A to B, but for me, calorie counting is vital. It's going to be a bit hit and miss without it but losing large amounts of weight without exercise is definitely possible.
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of health issues and I rarely exercise properly as a result. I have a go on my exercise bike in the house when I feel up to it, and sometimes get in a short walk, but more or less all of my weight loss has been with hardly any exercise, and I've been losing 1lb a week pretty constantly from the beginning thanks to logging accurately and mostly staying within my calories (I have a wee indulgence day now and then.)
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    bw_conway wrote: »
    So you don't want to exercise or track your diet - maybe throw a penny in the wishing well at the mall and hope the weight magically disappears?

I've lost massive amounts of weight before without relying on regular exercise or tracking.

No pennies were used in said quest.

did you keep it off? losing it just to regain it later isn't really an accomplishment.

The first time, no. I maintained for about five years. And regained, knowingly, and it had nothing to do with not calorie counting.

This time? So far, so good. Over 100 pounds lost, which started 3.5 years ago. I haven't used calorie counting to shift this weight.

Your question however is irrelevant. The overwhelming majority of calorie counters do, and will, regain their weight too. All weight loss methods have extremely high long term failure rates.

not only is tracking good for calorie counting, but it's also good to see if you're meeting your nutritional needs.

I'm well aware of nutrition and my nutritional needs. I am extremely healthy; haven't had so much as a cold in over 10 years. So no I don't need to count calories for my "nutritional needs".
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    So you don't want to exercise or track your diet - maybe throw a penny in the wishing well at the mall and hope the weight magically disappears?

I've lost massive amounts of weight before without relying on regular exercise or tracking.

did you keep it off? losing it just to regain it later isn't really an accomplishment.

The first time, no. I maintained for about five years. And regained, knowingly, and it had nothing to do with not calorie counting.

This time? So far, so good. Over 100 pounds lost, which started 3.5 years ago. I haven't used calorie counting to shift this weight.

Your question however is irrelevant. The overwhelming majority of calorie counters do, and will, regain their weight too. All weight loss methods have extremely high long term failure rates.

not only is tracking good for calorie counting, but it's also good to see if you're meeting your nutritional needs.

I'm well aware of nutrition and my nutritional needs. I am extremely healthy; haven't had so much as a cold in over 10 years. So no I don't need to count calories for my "nutritional needs".

well, good for you then. i would consider 5 years as a success.

i mostly maintained without calorie counting, so it's not a huge stretch to see someone losing without it. it just wasn't successful for me. i might be able to do it now after learning what i did with counting calories. i prefer that method though for losing.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

well, good for you then. i would consider 5 years as a success.

i mostly maintained without calorie counting, so it's not a huge stretch to see someone losing without it. it just wasn't successful for me. i might be able to do it now after learning what i did with counting calories. i prefer that method though for losing.

I loathe calorie counting. That's why I prefer other methods. However I'm glad I became calorie aware back as a teenager. It helps immensely to have a general working knowledge of the energy value of food.

But I'd recommend it in a heartbeat to a lot of people, hell even most. I wish my wife would come on MFP and truly undertake serious, strict adherence to calorie counting. She's struggled for so long, across several different programs, but she's very resistant to tracking, weighing and logging. I get it, I am too, but I don't think she'll be able to lose without the structure and accountability.