Afternoon Headaches

Options
aubreyjordan
aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello!
I am not new to MFP and have used it several times over the years (I'm a terrible yo-yo dieter). One thing I have noticed when I begin my diet (high protein-low carb) I get headaches in the afternoons/evenings. I do cut out all sodas and drink only water with the occasional coffee. I do get 80+ oz of water a day, so it isn't dehydration. Could it just be caffeine withdrawls or something else. They aren't bad headaches and respond to OTC medication. Just wanted to know if anyone else experienced them. Thanks!!

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Could it be eye strain?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Could be either because of the low carb or the caffeine reduction.
  • aubreyjordan
    Options
    Don't think it could be eye strain. I just had my eyes checked and my prescription is still the same. It only seems to happen when I start a diet. It's probably the lack of caffeine. Just wondered if it happened to anyone else.
  • lots2live4
    lots2live4 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Could it be sodium intake is too high? I always get bad headaches when I eat something that has too much salt.
  • aubreyjordan
    Options
    That's definitely something to check out. I'll have to look and see what I'm at. Thanks!
  • WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I'd bet on the caffeine. Switch to black coffee then no need to cut it out (if you're cutting it due to calories and not something else) and then no headaches. Note: I admit to having a HUGE caffeine addiction - I get headaches if I don't have coffee within about an hour of getting up.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    When I get headaches, it usually helps to eat sugar, so I can see where a low carb diet might cause them.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I noticed I do get headaches when my carbs are low that day, might be just me.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    I'd guess either
    a) not enough carbs
    b) not enough calories
    c) not enough water (and 80oz could just not be enough for you, especially if you've been chronically dehydrated)
    d) all or some of the above.

Without seeing your diary and intake, I cannot say which I think is the more likely culprit. Your headaches dont' sound bad enough to be due to caffeine, imo.
  • Missy022014
    Missy022014 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I would guess caffeine if you are used to drinking a lot more soda and coffee than you are now.