How do you get back on track after a day of indulgence?

Options
13»

Replies

• sssgilber
    sssgilber Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    look at the week as a whole, not individual days - you may find that, although your day was a bad day (mine was today as well), your week may be ok. I always think that a good week is one where I maintain the current weight, an excellent week is one where I lose weight. I have learned not to beat myself up for the bad days and focus on the good.

I'm going to use that good week/excellent week definition!

• mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Its 1 day..., just enjoy it for what it was and move on, most of us just did this but for 2-3 weeks over christmas.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thank you guys. I appreciate it.

Although why are you guys generally telling me to log it regardless if it's bad? I just usually chalk up the whole day and begin anew the next. Just curious!

I just ate my way through two days. I was super hungry, I wanted to eat, and so I just ate everything I wanted to.

If I didn't log it, I would just feel fat and sad.

Because I did log it, I can see that although I stuffed myself, I was only 1500 calories over for two days.

That's 1500 calories over my "losing weight" target, and only 500 calories over my "maintain weight" target.

Either way, by logging it, I can see exactly how LITTLE my eating spree cost me, and now, the next time I have a massive hunger day and want to eat the entire house, I will have a much better attitude about it.

And that's what keeps me here and keeps me losing weight. For the first time in my life, after having an eating spree, I don't feel like a loser. I feel like a WINNER.

^^^ This ... even if I've had a +1500 to 2000 cal meltdown day, I log it. I'm more interested in the weekly totals/average, than the daily fluctuations. Plus, seeing the weekly numbers helps me correlate to the weekly movements on the scale, and for me, they correlate pretty well.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Although why are you guys generally telling me to log it regardless if it's bad? I just usually chalk up the whole day and begin anew the next. Just curious!

Yep, log it. Allow yourself to see your truth. I did that just now, and I'm about 1200 calories over my maintenance. It doesn't happen often. I will eat less tomorrow. Sunday is also my long run day.

Tomorrow is a new day. :)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    syedsaad wrote: »
    well yesterday i screwed up at lunch .... how i came back was not having dinner and I am doing the same today .... if you make a mistake just forget it and move on.

You really should not be skipping meals like that.

There also are no "no-no" foods.
  • sharna_lofty
    Options
    Every day is a new task new challenge. Take each day as it comes and think positive at the beginning. Sometimes all you can think off is pizza or burgers. Telling yourself your never allowed it will make u want it more. This will be when the over eating happens. Whereas allowing yourself a treat every now amd then. And not reprimanded yourself from it will male u feel good and stop you wanting it so much. Eat healthy but enjoy your occasional "bad" days. As everyone needs a day off once in a while. Just make sure it is once in a while lol :-) x
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options

Log ALL of your food. Reason is that you need to see that one day of "binging" is not really going to matter overall or it matters. Your log is about you and no one else.

Plus you will see any patterns in your eating. Also, you may find out that you need to adjust your calorie requirement as well.

Think of it in scientific terms. This is body science and it takes a lot of tweaking to get yourself to a good place.

• paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I had a day out in London yesterday and ate bbq food, mac and cheese, gin and tonic and cocktails. I can't accurately log it all but I've put in a good estimate, which means I ate double my daily allowance. I'm in the camp where I think you should just log it and move on, I kind of feel like if I don't log it I am trying to kid myself it didn't happen. I think it's important to be honest to myself.
  • ITVGuy2000
    ITVGuy2000 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Not to sound like a Nike comercial, but "Just Do It".
    For motivation, just remember, one day is just one day. In the larger scheme of things, no matter how much damage you do on that one day, if you are good on all the rest of the days, you will be successful. If one day leads to two days, 1 week, 1 month, then you need to start over.
  • STUPID_GOPHER
    STUPID_GOPHER Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    you forget about it.........tomorrow is a new day and back to your normal day.