Options
ebyla85
ebyla85 Posts: 127 Member
share please !

Replies

• kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Do you like soup? That's my go to when my vegetation sister in-law visits.

Roasted Tomato Soup
    5 lbs tomatoes, cored and quartered
    6 cloves garlic, minced
    1/4 cup olive oil
    Salt and Pepper

Toss together and roast at @ 450 for 20 min or until very soft.

1 cup diced onion
    2 TBSP olive oil
    Sauté in large pot till onion is soft
    2 cups water
    2tsp sugar
    1/2 tsp kosher salt
    1/4 red pepper flakes
    Roasted tomato mixture
    Add to pot with onions and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 min then purée.
    Finish with
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    1 TBSP pesto
    This goes great with mozzerella grilled cheese.

Corn and Poblano Chowder

Saute in 2 TBS unsalted Butter
    1 cup white onion
    1 TBS minced garlic
    Add
    2 lb (6 cups) corn kernels corn
    4 cups chicken (or veggie) broth
    2 tsp sugar
    Pruee
    Stir in
    2 poblanos roasted, peeled, seeded, and diced
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    up to 1.5 tsp kosher salt
    1/2 cayenne

I don't have access to the recipe right now, but black bean soup is another favorite.
    I also like these Black Bean Quesadillas from budget bytes.
  • carinaut
    carinaut Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You can do all kinds of curries, if you're into that.

Today, I had the following for lunch (I was cutting up the stuff with the pot already on the oven and adding it to the pot when I was done) :

Heat a teaspoon of olive oil in a pot, add 1 small potatoe (finely diced), 1 small onion and 2 cloves of garlic, mushrooms, around 150 g frozen green beans, then 200 ml of light coconut milk and spices (curry powder, ground coriander seeds, cumin, salt, pepper, paprika powder) to taste, turn the heat down and simmer around 10 min or until potatoe is tender, two minutes before finishing, I added a handful of baby spinach. Serve with a tablespoon of soy yogurt (or any yogurt you like) on top.

Some of my other favourite combinations: lentils, mango and leeks or (that one I got from the internet and it was surprisingly good): potatoes, carrots and canned peaches.

Another good thing about curries is that you can adjust the calories easily according to your goals, by cutting or adding high carb components (potatoes, chickpeas, peas, corn, lentils...).
  • ebyla85
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »
    Do you like soup? That's my go to when my vegetation sister in-law visits.

Roasted Tomato Soup
    5 lbs tomatoes, cored and quartered
    6 cloves garlic, minced
    1/4 cup olive oil
    Salt and Pepper

Toss together and roast at @ 450 for 20 min or until very soft.

1 cup diced onion
    2 TBSP olive oil
    Sauté in large pot till onion is soft
    2 cups water
    2tsp sugar
    1/2 tsp kosher salt
    1/4 red pepper flakes
    Roasted tomato mixture
    Add to pot with onions and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 min then purée.
    Finish with
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    1 TBSP pesto
    This goes great with mozzerella grilled cheese.

Corn and Poblano Chowder

Saute in 2 TBS unsalted Butter
    1 cup white onion
    1 TBS minced garlic
    Add
    2 lb (6 cups) corn kernels corn
    4 cups chicken (or veggie) broth
    2 tsp sugar
    Pruee
    Stir in
    2 poblanos roasted, peeled, seeded, and diced
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    up to 1.5 tsp kosher salt
    1/2 cayenne

I don't have access to the recipe right now, but black bean soup is another favorite.
    I also like these Black Bean Quesadillas from budget bytes.

I love soup thank you ! Sounds tasty!
  • ebyla85
    Options
    carinaut wrote: »

Today, I had the following for lunch (I was cutting up the stuff with the pot already on the oven and adding it to the pot when I was done) :

Heat a teaspoon of olive oil in a pot, add 1 small potatoe (finely diced), 1 small onion and 2 cloves of garlic, mushrooms, around 150 g frozen green beans, then 200 ml of light coconut milk and spices (curry powder, ground coriander seeds, cumin, salt, pepper, paprika powder) to taste, turn the heat down and simmer around 10 min or until potatoe is tender, two minutes before finishing, I added a handful of baby spinach. Serve with a tablespoon of soy yogurt (or any yogurt you like) on top.

Some of my other favourite combinations: lentils, mango and leeks or (that one I got from the internet and it was surprisingly good): potatoes, carrots and canned peaches.

Another good thing about curries is that you can adjust the calories easily according to your goals, by cutting or adding high carb components (potatoes, chickpeas, peas, corn, lentils...).

Thanks a lot :smile: can't wait to try !
  • klm62505
    klm62505 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Roasted Broccoli

1bunch of broccoli (florets and I peel and use the stems as well)
    1 to 2 tablespoons of olive oil
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1/2 tsp ground black pepper
    1 tsp garlic powder

Mix it all together, put it on a cookie sheet and bake at 400 for 20 minutes or so. You want some charred bits on it and it gets pretty sweet.

We do this with carrots, zucchini and asparagus as well. You can really roast any vegetable.

Good luck!
  • duckykissy
    duckykissy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Baba Ganoush Stuffed egg plant. I modify this recipe http://www.inspiredtaste.net/24825/baba-ganoush-recipe-roasted-eggplant-dip// add 1 tsp cumin (instead of 1/4) and 1 tsp coriander and roast the garlic cloves for 5 minutes or so.

Once cooled I add 1 large egg/1 cup of baba ganoush and mix until smooth. I then pour about 1/2 cup of this mix into half of an eggplant shell and roast at 175C/350 for 40 minutes. It is so light and fluffy it's amazing. I actually have a freezer full of baba ganoush that I defrost and put into eggplants as wanted- for this I just roast the new eggplants for 40 minutes at 175C and then remove most of the shell and puree it into the egg/baba mix and roast again as normal.
  • diegops1
    diegops1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I make bean soups to take to work for lunch. Here is one from last week, as best I can remember. This week is going to be plain old lentils.

Vegetarian Chili

2 lbs Red or Pinto Beans soaked overnight and then rinsed and simmered 2 hours
    Add
    I large onion diced
    8-10 stalks of celery chopped
    1 cup carrots chopped
    1 Sweet green pepper chopped
    1 Sweet red pepper chopped
    1 or 2 Poblano peppers chopped or hotter peppers depending on your taste
    1 303 can of diced tomatoes (diced Roma tomatoes work well, but skinning is a pain)
    1 bunch of cilantro chopped
    1 Tsp chopped oregano
    1 Tsp cumin (This is the real flavor in chili powder, so why not use the real thing?)
    2 Tsp minced garlic (I love garlic and use more)
    1 Tsp celery seeds
    1 Tsp Basil

If you don’t mind empty carbs and crave a tortilla flavor you can add a can of hominy to make it a little more like posole.
  • ebyla85
    Options
    Nancy w
    diegops1 wrote: »
    I make bean soups to take to work for lunch. Here is one from last week, as best I can remember. This week is going to be plain old lentils.

Vegetarian Chili

2 lbs Red or Pinto Beans soaked overnight and then rinsed and simmered 2 hours
    Add
    I large onion diced
    8-10 stalks of celery chopped
    1 cup carrots chopped
    1 Sweet green pepper chopped
    1 Sweet red pepper chopped
    1 or 2 Poblano peppers chopped or hotter peppers depending on your taste
    1 303 can of diced tomatoes (diced Roma tomatoes work well, but skinning is a pain)
    1 bunch of cilantro chopped
    1 Tsp chopped oregano
    1 Tsp cumin (This is the real flavor in chili powder, so why not use the real thing?)
    2 Tsp minced garlic (I love garlic and use more)
    1 Tsp celery seeds
    1 Tsp Basil

If you don’t mind empty carbs and crave a tortilla flavor you can add a can of hominy to make it a little more like posole.

Thanks I actually was just looking for veggie chili right now lol
  • BlindFuzzyBanana
    BlindFuzzyBanana Posts: 9
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Vegan Pesto.

fsqca3gs6jn4.jpg

• ebyla85
    Options
    Vegan Pesto.

fsqca3gs6jn4.jpg
    Omg that sounds so good !
    :smile:
  • mcloughlins
    mcloughlins Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This recipe is excellent as it is or to use as a base for a veggie/meat curry : gently fry 1 red onion, 1 red chilli, 3 garlic cloves, 2 inch square of ginger (all finely chopped) in a little hemp oil or good oil for 5 mins, add 1 punnet of shittaki mushrooms sliced and 2 large sweet potatoes chopped into cubes with skin on and cook for a further 5 mins, cover with stock and cook till potato is soft. Blend with a hand blender till smooth season with sea salt black pepper! :neutral_face:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
  • annaheyoolay
    annaheyoolay Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Just made this salad tonight. So delicious! I used cilantro instead of basil and walnuts instead of cashews.
    http://86lemons.com/edamame-power-salad/
  • OnePuzzledGurrl
    OnePuzzledGurrl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Kale Quiche

9" Deep Dish Pie Crust (can be frozen)
    4 large eggs
    1 cup evaporated skim milk
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon Mrs Dash Southwest chipotle
    1/2 teaspoon True Orange Ginger
    1/2 teaspoon oregano
    1/2 cup diced red onion
    1/2 cup chopped green pepper
    1 package (about 5 ounces) Baby Kale (Kroger Simple Truth)
    1 cup shredded low-fat Mexican cheese

Bake pie crust according to package instructions (example: prick bottom with fork and bake at 400 for 12 minutes)

Heat oven to 375 for metal pan (350 for glass pan)

In large bowl lightly beat egg and milk. Add salt cayenne pepper, oregano, Mrs Dash Southwest Chipotle, True Orange Ginger, onion, and green pepper. Add Baby Kale to mixture.

Sprinkle half of cheese to bottom of cooled pie crust. Pour egg mixture into pie crust and sprinkle remaining cheese on top.

Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean

Makes 8 servings

Modified from Collard-Green Quiche in Low-fat Soul by Jonell Nash
  • mawy88
    mawy88 Posts: 1
    Options
    carinaut wrote: »

I MUST try it!! Thanks
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    klm62505 wrote: »
    Roasted Broccoli

1bunch of broccoli (florets and I peel and use the stems as well)
    1 to 2 tablespoons of olive oil
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1/2 tsp ground black pepper
    1 tsp garlic powder

Mix it all together, put it on a cookie sheet and bake at 400 for 20 minutes or so. You want some charred bits on it and it gets pretty sweet.

We do this with carrots, zucchini and asparagus as well. You can really roast any vegetable.

Good luck!

I'm a pescatarian, but only eat fish about once a month. I eat a version of this all the time! My version usually includes soy sauce and some stevia for extra salt/sweetness :)

I also eat a lot of tacos with faux veggie meat. DELISH.