Breastfeeding and Goals

Options
Hello,

I was wondering if there is a way to set healthy goals to lose weight while breastfeeding? I didn't see an option on the profile setting to check nursing or not nursing. This would be extremely helpful to many women who nurse and want to lose weight safely. Also, this would help me calculate how many calories I can consume without affecting my milk supply. Is there an option and I am just missing it??

Replies

• xxthegrouchxx
    xxthegrouchxx Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I added 300 calories to what it suggested for me since I'm breastfeeding. You can look up online how many extra calories you need to produce milk. No supply issues yet!
  • jacq34
    jacq34 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm feeding my 9 week old exclusively and have today found you can add breast feeding. If you search in the database you'll find it. Your diet won't affect supply at all! You're body will always prioritise breast milk. Obviously just don't overdo it. I add about 300 calories for the full day. It's early days for me so I can't infirm whether that's too much or too little yet. Good luck!
  • Jessalyn1986
    Options
    Thanks guys! I will look in the database on the computer instead of my phone :)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    jacq34 wrote: »
    I'm feeding my 9 week old exclusively and have today found you can add breast feeding. If you search in the database you'll find it. Your diet won't affect supply at all! You're body will always prioritise breast milk. Obviously just don't overdo it. I add about 300 calories for the full day. It's early days for me so I can't infirm whether that's too much or too little yet. Good luck!

If this were true, no woman's supply would ever dry up or be insufficient to her baby's needs while she was nursing.

Plus, you contradict yourself. First you say diet won't affect supply and your body will always prioritize breast milk, but then you admit it's possible to "overdo it." Then you admit you don't really know what would be overdoing it even for yourself, because it's "early days."

OP, you should check with your physician or lactation consultant.
  • zjpq
    zjpq Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    ugh, even adding 500 cals for BFing my supply still suffered if I watched my diet and I didn't lose weight anyway, it starts to move after we stop Bfing, around 2yo. Hope you have better luck than I!!