nonstick cooking spray

Options
omid990
omid990 Posts: 785 Member
i've been using a light coat of non-stick cooking spray in the place of cooking oil when making foods such as eggs or to cook some chicken. on the nutrition label, it says o calories for 1/3 of a spray. i don't know anyone who has reflexes fast enough to manage 1/3 of a second and mine end up being 1-2 seconds.

since the label has 0, i'm not sure how to count the calories for this since i'm sure it does have calories. any ideas?

Replies

• lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I would think it would be a very difficult thing to measure. Maybe if you are just using a quick spray as you say, you could count it as say 1/2 a teaspoon of regular oil?
  • kaydtc
    kaydtc Posts: 48
    Options
    Suppose it depends which one you have bought, but the one I have says it is one calorie per spray
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    It's oil so it has the same calories as oil! If you spray out a tablespoon of the spray, it has the same calories as a tablespoon of oil. It's not a magical calorie erasing can. :tongue:

So, when I use the spray, I just count like 1/2 tsp (or whatever amount is appropriate) of whatever oil it is (I usually use olive oil spray unless I'm baking). 1/2 tsp of olive oil is 20 cals so that's what I count the spray as if that's how much I've used.

If I really do use a quick little spray, I usually don't cout it at all. I know it has a few calories, but it's the same as how I don't count a 5 calorie piece of gum once a day.
    I used to be a lot more strict with my calorie counting, but now I let the little things go because I know when they happen and I know what I'm doing at this point.
  • Fat_n_Happy
    Fat_n_Happy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It's the same oil as what you use in a bottle, just in miniscule quantities. Don't be fooled by the claims on the can.....if you spray long enough, it has just as much fat and calories as regular cooking oil.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I think it's the Crisco brand shows calories and fat - check it out on the food log.
  • antiadipose
    antiadipose Posts: 447
    Options
    i don't know anyone who has reflexes fast enough to manage 1/3 of a second and mine end up being 1-2 seconds.

LOL i always think that too...
    this is a good question actually
  • dansdeb
    dansdeb Posts: 164
    Options
    I gave up on trying to track sprays, they will also ruin some pan finishes. What I will do is use a measuring spoon for what ever oil I am using and then spread it around the pan with a paper towel or something. I think I get a more accurate feeling for what is actually in the pan, and maybe it is a little less because the towel soaks some up.
  • Jeansattic
    Jeansattic Posts: 11
    Options
    We use PAM & I just checked the can; it says 7 cal. & a 1 sec spray will cover a 10" pan.
    However, I always over-spray (NOT on purpose !!) & I began to wonder, why worry about
    the small stuff....as olive oil is good for you, so I searched online & came across an
    stainless steel unit to put olive oil ( or any oil or juice or vinegar ) in, called "Misto" I must admit, I have yet to use it
    (Typical ME) but it comes with a 1-yr guarantee & a few recipes. ( I am going to be good, RIGHT NOW ,
    go fill it & use it tonight !! ) :happy: