Help with Exercise Advice with one bad knee.

Options
Hi guys - I used to run Marathons and everything under well into my 40's. My left knee has OsteoArthritis and Bone Spurs. I am being told that I need a knee replacement but want to lose weight before I do that. Is there anyone else out there in the same boat? What do you do for exercise? I want to lose 60 pounds but it's definitely harder just cutting calories without exercise.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

:)

Replies

• jeseyt
    jeseyt Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi :-) there are many exercises u can do without put too much pressure in your knee. I had that problem last week, I asked a friend who is a personal trainer, the first question was, how old are u? He he I'll be 37 ;-) in March, so he asked me if I have used the treadmill, I said yes! He said at your age is better to avoid to run in that kind of surfaces, instead is better to use ellipticals....this is my recommendation try to put a bucket filled with ice and water or just cold water put your legs in until your knees, do it little by little if is too cold let's say 1 min and increase until 5 mins, after massage your knee, fill up a hot water botle and put it in your knee. That works for me. Also try to massage your knee with a little bit of olive oil in the morning and afternoon. Good luck, I hope u knee get better.
  • Kendall2006
    Kendall2006 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have RA in my knees. I am 36. But I do PiYo. It is pilates and yoga combined. It is a great workout and not too much strain. You work out against your own body. No extra equipment needed. If you are interested, let me know.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Hi guys - I used to run Marathons and everything under well into my 40's. My left knee has OsteoArthritis and Bone Spurs. I am being told that I need a knee replacement but want to lose weight before I do that. Is there anyone else out there in the same boat? What do you do for exercise? I want to lose 60 pounds but it's definitely harder just cutting calories without exercise.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

:)

Swimming, water aerobics, water jogging. I have lost 86 lb on a bum knee by doing these!

• gretchens1
    gretchens1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been in physical therapy for my left knee for the last couple months. My therapist recommends doing water aerobics/swimming and a machine called NuStep. Its like a seated elliptical and will allow you to burn calories without putting weight on your knee. My local YMCA has one, you should call around because its a somewhat expensive machine and not a lot of places have them.