Workout ideas for large chested woman

Options
Hi guys, I was told by my Dr that I need to start exercising. I do walk currently, but apparently that isnt really enough. The only issue I have had with exercise is that my chest is pretty large (42DD) and I have not been able to find a bra that supports me enough so that it does not hurt when I do exercises. Even thigns like pushups or when my chest hangs it hurts.

I was hoping someone on here (maybe another woman) has experience exercising with a large chest and can either recommend a sports bra or maybe an exercise routine that doesn't involve much jumping or hanging... Thanks!

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Panache and Enell seem to be highly recommended around here. If you do a search for sports bras, you'll find a bunch of threads with recommendations of brands and styles.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    38DDD here...sports bras don't work for me at all.

What does work is a regular, supportive underwire bra plus a shaper top. I have several from Target that have worn very well--the brand is Self Expressions. They distribute the force all over the trunk and make all kinds of exercise much more comfortable.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    walmart sports bras are bomb, im quite a bit smaller band wise, a 32-34, but im a DD-E cup dpending on bra
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I am 38ddd but wear mostly 40DD as I can't find my size affordably. Still, I am very happy with Wonderbra sports bra in 40dd, dors a great job for me and is affordable:
    http://www.sears.ca/product/wonderbra8482-sports-bra/618-000062224-W5126

That said, with the symptoms you describe, are you quite sure you're 42dd and not a larger cup, smaller size? I think the stats now are something like 80% of women are in the wrong bra size. I used to think I was 42c :wink: , it pays to check especially before buying a new bra.

Azulvioleta, where do you find 38ddd in Target? Never seen that size in Target Canada :(
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Seriously go to a bra store that caters to larger women and get fitted you may find you're not in the right size. Then it's whatever you like I'm a 38 G and doing mma with bjj grappling.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    38DDD here...sports bras don't work for me at all.

What does work is a regular, supportive underwire bra plus a shaper top. I have several from Target that have worn very well--the brand is Self Expressions. They distribute the force all over the trunk and make all kinds of exercise much more comfortable.

I do something similar. I find a supportive G or H cup underwire and top it with a sports bra. I can run, jump and the like with very little movement.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options

Azulvioleta, where do you find 38ddd in Target? Never seen that size in Target Canada :(

Oh, I don't buy bras at target--that's just where I found the shaper tops.
  • Kendall2006
    Kendall2006 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I don't have a large chest, but there are a couple of workouts out there to help you get where you are. Have you ever looked into 21 Day Fix? I have a Challenge Group starting in February. This program has 5 different workouts plus it gives you colored containers to portion your food out correctly. I will be doing it in February as well. Now that I am cleared to workout again.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I use a shock absorber ultimate run bra. Works really well at holding them in place (38E..although if I have measured correctly I'm a 36E now, so I lost a bit from my boobs). A good sports bra really does make a huge difference. In 2013, I was just doubling up cheap sports bras from walmart and now I can't imagine ever going back to that. I run, jump and do all sorts of things that I previously couldn't do without my boobs moving around dangerously. Watch amazon, I was able to get the Shock Absorber on sale for around $27 (typically $50+).
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I wear a 38GG. If you do cardio with jumping/running then I second the double-up method. A good sports bra and a very snug fitting garment on top has worked the best for me in the past.

I go to a yoga class twice a week, just started lifting heavy weights, walk and do kettle bell swings once a week for cardio. None of these activities require iron maiden support to control bounce. I can wear any of my bras and do just fine. So, there are options for exercise that don't involve the bounce effect.
  • mae3599
    mae3599 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Omg I know that feel and when I jogging at the park I see ppl staring at mine haha thats kinda akward so I just cycle instead of walking :P
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    swim-one large breated friend wears a bikini top-with underwire and than pulls a matching tankini top over that-and matching bottoms of courser
    My aunt used to just wear a bra under a one piece

Biking-depending on the set up they can dangle a bit-try a recumbent stationary bike to start
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Luckily I work out in my apt. So I just wear a tight sports bra. I'm a 38g, so tight means wrong size...lol but it works for me...
  • chelsmccann
    chelsmccann Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Always double bag ;) underwire bra covered by sports bra - I am a 38F but will get a large or XL sports bra from target/Walmart etc. and it really compresses the girls. I can jog on the treadmill, and do all the regular movements in my weight lifting routine.
  • zerryz
    zerryz Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Try lifting. And swimming (water acts as natural bras)
  • kittenluvvr7
    Options
    Wow what a great response. Thanks so much ladies. I will start looking for some of those brands. Thanks again! <3:D
  • sarieth05
    sarieth05 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I started at 42DD, and once I found a great high impact sports bra (I got mine at Lane Bryant), I started jogging/running, hula hooping, and biking. But I feel your pain. XD Before I got the sports bra, trying to jog was torture and hurt my back. Once you find a good one, it really does make everything way easier.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If you have the right support, you can do anything, regardless of your bust size. Women, especially women with large mammorie glands, should not scrimp on getting the correct fit in a bra. I have heard so many comments that I won't spend money on a bra and it is so counterproductive to our health.

I have started wearing an Athleta compression bra with an underwire that you can even wear without a tank and is pretty enough to wear everyday. It runs around $40, which comes to $.10 a day for a year. If you think of an investment in your health this way, it's pretty cheap.
  • lawlifehanna
    lawlifehanna Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Shock Absorber. If that's not a possibility for you (fit, budget or otherwise) and other sports bras recommended here aren't up to the task, here's some ideas: lifting, walking, cycling & spinning (seated), swimming. 32DD/F here.
  • jbonne
    jbonne Posts: 1
    Options
    Enell bras. It will change your life. I am DDD and have run a half marathon. You need to get used to how tight it feels but totally worth it to be able to exercise without any bouncing.