Avoid temptation

Options
2»

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It was my first week on my new "vegan" plan. It was the best choice at that time. I have since gone out to eat with my family & took my own food along.

Welcome to MFP.

I can see your point with that kind of diet. I just do a Low Carb High Fat diet and there are many options that I can do with the family.

Picking a new eating lifestyle carries a learning curve and sounds like it is going to work for you. I wind up with a salad sometimes but that is fine because i need fiber when eating <50 carbs a day.

My first two weeks without sugar, grains and other carbs was hellish for me but at my age and having been a carb abuser for 40 years I should have expected this vs if I was young and healthy.

• a4somerville
    Options
    I didn't have time to make my own dressing as they don't have any without sugar and other ingredients....so I opted to take in my carrots.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    this sounds extreme and unnecessary. why go to such extremes?
  • a4somerville
    Options
    I didn't have time to make my own dressing as they don't have any without sugar and other ingredients....so I opted to take in my carrots.
    I do the same! Until I can trust myself to not over eat while out, I'm not going out with family/friends to eat.
    I do the same! Until I can trust myself to not over eat while out, I'm not going out with family/friends to eat.
    Dear LoveLive Life- thanks! This is my first time actually sharing with others. While I appreciate everyone's opinion - I have felt pretty "attacked". I work full time - have 3 busy kids (one with special needs) and do lots of volunteer work. So- I'm finally doing something for me. While I am changing how I eat- my family isn't changing how they eat & I still have to shop & cook for them too. So, I'm just taking it with a grain of salt. But, thanks for the support- I really need it!
  • a4somerville
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    this sounds extreme and unnecessary. why go to such extremes?

• a4somerville
    Options
    Because I have become extremely overweight. Another friend at work was doing it. I actually feel really great. 1st day of "detox" was rough- after that it was easier. It was the right time & the right thing to do. My dr has been asking me for a year to go whole foods & I just couldn't. But it is the right choice for me. Tired of my health & weight issues. Time for a drastic change. If it's not for you then it's just not & that's fine.
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Good on you for getting motivated! That's the most important part! I think the only reason people on here are harsh on liquid diets/vegan for weight loss is that it's not a long term solution.
    As someone who does a juice cleanse every January, I understand the point of what you're doing. The tricky part will be resuming "normal" eating habits when you're eating solids/meat again. Hopefully this detox helps you kick some cravings and strengthens your mental resolve (seems like it has) and that's going to be the number tool in your belt!
    Good luck!
  • a4somerville
    Options
    Good on you for getting motivated! That's the most important part! I think the only reason people on here are harsh on liquid diets/vegan for weight loss is that it's not a long term solution.
    As someone who does a juice cleanse every January, I understand the point of what you're doing. The tricky part will be resuming "normal" eating habits when you're eating solids/meat again. Hopefully this detox helps you kick some cravings and strengthens your mental resolve (seems like it has) and that's going to be the number tool in your belt!
    Good luck!

Thanks for your reply. I only do a liquid for breakfast bc it's fast & easy. I take fresh fruits & baked/ roasted veggies or lentil soups for lunch & dinner. I eat unsalted natural nuts & whole wheat unleavened bread (in small quantity bc of high calorie). I'm never hungry. So I don't think eating after this will be difficult. I'll just limit it to lean meats in small portions. Everyday is easier & easier. Thanks for your positive words! I feel better, skin is better, have more energy, & can think more clearly. And BOnUS: it doesn't cost extra $$, it's not some unrealistic magic pill, and it doesn't take extra time- it's how God intended us to eat the food he out here & eventually I'll get back to meat & limited dairy.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Good luck!

Thanks for your reply. I only do a liquid for breakfast bc it's fast & easy. I take fresh fruits & baked/ roasted veggies or lentil soups for lunch & dinner. I eat unsalted natural nuts & whole wheat unleavened bread (in small quantity bc of high calorie). I'm never hungry. So I don't think eating after this will be difficult. I'll just limit it to lean meats in small portions. Everyday is easier & easier. Thanks for your positive words! I feel better, skin is better, have more energy, & can think more clearly. And BOnUS: it doesn't cost extra $$, it's not some unrealistic magic pill, and it doesn't take extra time- it's how God intended us to eat the food he out here & eventually I'll get back to meat & limited dairy.

I agree with RebelDiamond. I never thought about moving to LCHF eating lifestyle because 6 months ago I did not even know about it. Finding a healthy way to eat takes time and evolves over time. There is not Right/Wrong diet per se. The damage over the years changed what I could and could not eat well. Meds can really mess the parts starting with the mouth and all the way to the other end.

Growing up most of my carbs came out of the garden. Sugar was in our tea but no soft drinks where around typically when I was a kid but after I left home my little brother started bring them home and the house filled up with junk food sources. There was more cash to buy them.

• poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    That's sad. :disappointed:
    The point of getting your eating under control isn't to be miserable, deny yourself fun / pleasure, it's to learn to eat in moderation.
    Moderation is sustainable, denial is not.

I eat all kinds of things people probably wouldn't think someone "on a diet" would have (pizza, beer, pasta, cheese, cookies, Chinese buffet, peanut butter) and I'm having great success, not feeling deprived.

51637601.png

everyone is different, sometimes I do not want the temptation either. Some people have difficulty with moderation. It does not have to be seen as denial, it can be a choice.