started the pill a couple mnths ago and now Ive had increased appetite. Help!

Options
I have never really struggled with being over weight.. in fact the somewhat opposite is what I've delt with since I was a kid. Im petite.. and since taking the pill a few months ago I have had an increase in my appetite.. I spoke to my doctor and he says stop taking it. (In 2months from starting to take the pill i have gained 9 pounds. I want to be fit and toned... also yes I am petite but that doesnt make me fit. I need help on some ideas on how to stop craving food. I love food too much.

Replies

• jukyu
    jukyu Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Oral contraceptives stimulate basal metabolic rate, in some randomized studies up to 5%. So, with a higher BMR, it only makes sense that your appetite will increase.

(SEE: Diffey, B., Piers, L. S., Soares, M. J., & O'dea, K. (1997). The effect of oral contraceptive agents on the basal metabolic rate of young women. British Journal of Nutrition, 77(06), 853-862.)

To eat less without feeling hungry, choose foods that promote both satiety and satiation. Monica Reinagel, MS, LD/N, CNS has a lot of great tips on her Quick & Dirty blog here: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/healthy-eating/satiety-vs-satiation-part-2

• antypim89
    antypim89 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You could also speak to your doctor and switch contr
    I have never really struggled with being over weight.. in fact the somewhat opposite is what I've delt with since I was a kid. Im petite.. and since taking the pill a few months ago I have had an increase in my appetite.. I spoke to my doctor and he says stop taking it. (In 2months from starting to take the pill i have gained 9 pounds. I want to be fit and toned... also yes I am petite but that doesnt make me fit. I need help on some ideas on how to stop craving food. I love food too much.

You could also speak to your doctor and they will switch you to a more appropriate pill. This also happened to me whilst I took microgynon then I took Yasmin and taaa daaa bye bye extra pounds. Good luck
  • 1mumrevolution
    1mumrevolution Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I've been on the pill since August. Micronor. Since then my weight loss has slowed right down and I'm maintaining instead of losing. I know it's the pill. Plus my age. Every day I ask myself 'should I come off it' but my horrendous symptoms would just come back, so I take the damn things another day. I tried Cerazette also with similar issues.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    It really depends on which Pill as they have differnt hormone combos. Talk to your MD or pharmacist.