Hi, I'm Andrea

Options
Hi everyone, I started using this site on Wednesday. I feel like it's really helping me as far as input on how I'm eating. I seem to be having problems with exercising, but plan to start tomorrow. My sister wants to try Zumba, so I think with that & once the rain stops I'll be able to go on walks. My biggest problem is that I'm not eating enough. I'm practically starving myself, which only makes my metabolism slow down. I'm going to try & make my calorie goal here in the next few day's. I'm working at it. It's nice to meet everyone! Please feel free to give me any input, I'm really TRYING to lose weight.

Replies

• kaylin323
    kaylin323 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi I'm in the same situation one thing I recently started doing is I made a completely new grocery shopping list with fresh veggies fruits and cereals high in fiber. Don't keep snacks or anything not worth eating in the house chances are if its there you will want it and when u first start out you don't want the temptations not until you've become strong enough to turn it down :-) I hope I can help.
  • rwc4912
    rwc4912 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi Andrea,

I struggle a lot with eating enough too, especially since I started increasing my exercise level.
    Or more specifically eating enough good food and making better educated choices as I go.
    I am a 44 year old married guy with 2 young kids.
    I started at 285 on about April 15th or so and I'm now down to 262 and have been making steady weekly progress towards my goal of 210.

But I have found that having the interaction of a freinds list helps a lot, I had 2-3 false starts with MFP and the social aspect is really the kicker and coannot be overstated.

Give a shout out on the message boards for some friends and I think you will be surprised how many like minded people there are that are super supportive and working on the same goals.
    My wife happens to be a person who eats anything, never exercises and never gains...frustrating to say the least and she has no frame of reference to understand my challenges.
    Having the social feed and sharing in others successes has definitely made me more motivated and in a small way more accountable.
    Ultimately I am accountable to only myself but it does provide a kick in the rear sometimes.

Just a suggestion of something that worked for me.

Good luck on your quest and feel free to add me to your friend list if so inclined, I am active on the feed and leave my diary open so others can see what I am doing right and wrong.
  • heystephie
    heystephie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    1. Keep a food diary to keep track of what you eat, so you're more aware of what you've eaten throughout the day and don't overeat (Use MFP haha)
    2. Keep portion sizes small e.g: Use a smaller plate
    3. Eat lean protein rather than fats or carbohydrates. It keeps you full for longer.
    4. Drink soup! Helps to keep you full for a longer time too.
    5. More low fat diary like milk, cheese or yogurt. A high calcium diet leads to more fat being excreted out compared to a low calcium diet.
    6. Exercise! Everytime I do a good workout, I don't feel like eating unhealthy food after that because I don't want my hard work to go to waste. (Try to exercise at least 3 times a week of about 30 minutes or more each!)
    7. Eat small meals regularly throughout the day e.g: 5- 6 meals if possible

Never starve yourself! It doesn't work and when you get hungry and start eating again your weight will go up really quickly. Zumba is really good! I did it before and it was pretty fun, and yeah helps to burn off some calories.

Welcome to MFP and good luck! :)
  • fenebabe
    fenebabe Posts: 7
    Options
    I also have to work to keep my calories up there. I never let myself go under 1200, but sometimes I have to eat at night. I try to keep lots of fruits and veggies in the house, and I love juicing! I also try to do lots of lean dairy and whole grains.