Broken Foot - what exercise?

Options
So after finally getting some focus and determination I successfully managed to drop a weight on my foot and break it.

What exercises can I do to still keep it up? Any ideas for cardio?

I was just going to do weights still for upper body etc.

Any tips or ideas would be great

xx

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Depending on your cast situation and doctor's permission, what about pool running? That's the traditional zero-impact "runner with a stress fracture" substitute workout. (I realize you don't have a stress fx, which is why I ask about the cast.)
  • liannexxx
    liannexxx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I think I will check with my doctor. Its so annoying x
  • assthetikk
    assthetikk Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options
    if not swimming, i'd suggest cycling. A stationary bike will help you get your aerobic workout with very little impact or strain to your injured foot. Also consider taking up cycling outdoors once you're recovered but still not ready for intensive workouts.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If you're in a cast, even water exercise is contraindicated because you need to let the bones heal. I'm the biggest proponent of Aqua fitness, but the water's resistance will not be good if the bones have not healed.

You could do lower-body weight stuff pretty easily, like leg lifts, etc and core exercises.

I would bet your doctor would not clear you for stressing your foot. It takes 3 months for a fracture to heal.

I broke my tibia in October, so I know how frustrating it can be not to be mobile if you usually are. I was in an immobilizer for 5 weeks and then a support giving me some ROM for 4. I was able to start water exercise after 6 weeks while still on crutches because the x-ray showed that the bone had started healing itself and there was no soft tissue damage.
  • liannexxx
    liannexxx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    =-( so maybe just a lot of sitting for a few weeks? I could maybe cycle with one foot x
  • 190now
    190now Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just fractured my foot doing a half marathon ... I hate not being able to do some type of cardio, but I've found that rope slams and single leg burpes help in cardio.... Hope it helps
  • diegops1
    diegops1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I broke a metatarsal 40 yrs ago running in the rain. I wanted to keep my conditioning despite the cast (plaster of paris in those days) so I used a stationary bike. I lost some conditioning but I could still climb a 14k foot peak 5 weeks later.
  • UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I get stuck on " zero impact" restrictions every so often. My advice would be, if that is what your doc tells you, look up "seated exercise" online- youtube, Sparkpeople, etc. I have found a wealth of seated exercise to keep me going in those cases. Most recent being an incisional hernia in my midline abs and this fall, a tibial stress fracture. Frustrating. But do ask your doc for specific restrictions first.
  • brightwell44
    brightwell44 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Be a good time to get the ab ball out. Not being able to use your foot for stability will make your core stronger
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    lianne, hand bikes are an interesting cardio option requiring no leg action. It may take 2-3 sessions to toughen up your arms, but from then on you'll be flying along as with a normal bike, taxing your heart. I extensively used a Krankcycle (http://www.krankcycle.com/) at an upscale local gym when my knees were out-of-commission. There are also cheaper in-home options on Amazon.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    You can still train upper body with weights (seated if necessary). Also, hand biking (not all gyms have them) and boxing are other options.
    Just a note: you don't NEED exercise to lose weight. It's more for health and fitness.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Lynnm1238
    Options
    Hi Lianne. Found myself in a similar situation on Feb. 3. Broken foot (Lisfranc injury - broke all 5 metatarsals with dislocations and tears). There are tons of things you can find on YouTube. Search "Heather Frey". She has a "One foot workout" that involves upper body work and abs, all done with a broken foot. Also, search "HappySexyHealthy" - she has an upper body cardio workout that is good for someone with a lower body injury. Neither are difficult, and definitely not up the workout level that I am accustomed to, but you can probably adjust to fit your needs by increasing weights or reps.

Also, I have a Fitbit, and am tracking meals and calories to make sure that my calories in don't exceed calories burned. Hopefully this will at least keep me from gaining weight.

Good Luck!
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Depending on the fracture, cycling or rowing might be possibilities.