Bloating ?

Options
Even when I wake up first thing in the morning I've noticed that if I flex my abs I have a 29 inch waist, if I have my relaxed belly it become a 31 inches waist so I wanna know if this is either bloating or I just don't have enough muscles on my abs ? (cause you know, there are people with visible abs even when they're not flexing, but I have to flex to be able to see them, otherwise I just see some "lines" not the "big blocky" abs I want haha) I hope someone can help me. Have a great day everyone ! :smiley:

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you want want visible abs when you are not flexing you need enough muscle mass and low enough body fat to do so. Lets start easy, how tall are you and how much do you weigh? And do you know what your body fat % is.
  • becess96
    becess96 Posts: 57 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm an 18 years old guy, 5'8, 150 lbs. I don't know my bodyfat % but these are my measurements:
    Neck: 39 cm (15 inches)
    Wrist: 17 cm (6.7 inches)
    Arm: 38 cm (15 inches) flexed
    Leg: 62 cm (24.5 inches) flexed
    Waist (put the tape on my belly button, even though someone said the waist is a little bit higher than belly button): 75 cm (29.5 inches) flexed and 80 cm (31.5 inches) when relaxed

I hope this helps, thank you again :smile:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Any current pictures? It's hard to tell you to bulk or cut without one.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    OP you are too light to cut. Either recomp and benefit from newbie gains or bulk. Although I'd suggest recomping for at least half a year first and then bulking.
  • becess96
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    OP you are too light to cut. Either recomp and benefit from newbie gains or bulk. Although I'd suggest recomping for at least half a year first and then bulking.

I apologize for the ignorance but what does recomp consist of ?By the way, I didn't say I wanna cut (I'm actually maintaining right now while doing resistance training + some cardio) but I was just curious if anyone else had this problem with their stomach and if it's bloating or fat or not enough muscle around the body. I'll take some pictures as soon as I get home to show you how it looks like
  • ana3067
    Options
    becess96 wrote: »

I apologize for the ignorance but what does recomp consist of ?By the way, I didn't say I wanna cut (I'm actually maintaining right now while doing resistance training + some cardio) but I was just curious if anyone else had this problem with their stomach and if it's bloating or fat or not enough muscle around the body. I'll take some pictures as soon as I get home to show you how it looks like

Eating at your maintenance calorie needs (so you'd remain the same weight) and lifting weights.

And I'm assuming your lean body mass is low. That is why you do not have ab definition, and you also need actual muscle built up there to have abs. Which will only be built once you go onto a bulk at some point in the future.
  • becess96
    Options
    Eating at your maintenance calorie needs (so you'd remain the same weight) and lifting weights.

And I'm assuming your lean body mass is low. That is why you do not have ab definition, and you also need actual muscle built up there to have abs. Which will only be built once you go onto a bulk at some point in the future.

Thank you, that's what I'm actually doing right now, but I assume my low weight is also due to the fact of my small bones (for example my dad has no muscles at all and he's the same height as me but weight 172 but his wrist for example is 20 centimeters (about 8 inches) so I guess bone density also adds some more pounds :confused:
  • ana3067
    Options
    becess96 wrote: »

Thank you, that's what I'm actually doing right now, but I assume my low weight is also due to the fact of my small bones (for example my dad has no muscles at all and he's the same height as me but weight 172 but his wrist for example is 20 centimeters (about 8 inches) so I guess bone density also adds some more pounds :confused:

Yes it does. He may also have more muscle and/or fat than you.