Calling All RUNNERS!!!? HELP....

cobygrey
cobygrey Posts: 270 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I"M TRAINING FOR COUCH TO 5K.

Next week is week 4. I have to do a 5 min warm up then jog for 3mins then walk for 2min then jog for 5 MINUTES!!! and repeat 2x.

Right now I'm struggling with 2min/3min walk/ run intervals. I'm doing all of this out side varied incline, mostly level and on asphalt. Would I be over training if I ran 4.0 mph on the treadmill for 10 mins every nite to build my endurance? I know i can do the intervals on the treadmill easily with no incline of course. But what do you think?

Replies

• justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Have faith. You can do this! I felt the exact same way but I didn't back down, though I did repeat a few days here and there depending on my energy and weather, and now I am running 30 minutes at a time outside and up and down hills. I think the secret to my success was going slow. My focus was running the minute intervals and not trying to go the distance they suggested. Now I am running 30 minutes and slowly trying to increase my distance in that time. I went from running 14 minute miles to 11 minute miles and my goal is to run 10 minute miles within a month.
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    i think it's absolutely possible. believe that you can do it and you'll find that you most certainly can! :) although my suggestion for running on the treadmill would be to add a slight incline to create a run that's more like running outside.

you can do it! :bigsmile:
  • Paul76
    Paul76 Posts: 158
    I say stick to the program and don't deviate by training on the side. There's a science to those learn to run programs and you should trust in it. It sounds like week 4 will be hard for you, but it has to be designed to push you outside of your comfort zone from time to time to really make progress.

You can do it!

Good luck!
  • cymills
    cymills Posts: 133 Member
    There is nothing that states you cannot repeat a week ( Heaven fobid!!) Depending on your level of physical activity , prior to starting program, easing into it - can be wise. Slow & steady!!. As far as the comments.."you can do it"
    Remember these come from people who know nothing of "YOU" and what you may be struggling with. I am all for support but keep your common sense with the encouragement
    Slow and steady and... for heavens sake listen to your gut. ..or whatever else ailsl you.
    Pushing too hard - too fast is a great receipe for injury!
  • CoachFoland
    CoachFoland Posts: 564 Member
    i think it's absolutely possible. believe that you can do it and you'll find that you most certainly can! :) although my suggestion for running on the treadmill would be to add a slight incline to create a run that's more like running outside.

I actually disagree. Being as you are a beginner, there is no reason why you should need an incline to mimic outdoor running. The goal is to put in the time. Also, no reason you can't modify the plan. I'd say try, and do what you can, but always strive to do more than the last time.
  • jheller
    jheller Posts: 194
    Having recently moved from treadmill to dirt all I can say its MUCH harder outside then on a 'mill. Stick with your program. You can do it. My goal is run a 5k by the end of the summer. I can almost manage 2 miles with a few walks here and there.

Be determined and strong and you'll succeed!!

Jessica
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member

I actually disagree. Being as you are a beginner, there is no reason why you should need an incline to mimic outdoor running. The goal is to put in the time. Also, no reason you can't modify the plan. I'd say try, and do what you can, but always strive to do more than the last time.

While I agree that as a beginner, time is a priority for this runner, running on a treadmill is somewhat - not a ton - easier than running outdoors. So the suggestion to place the treadmill on a slight incline, maybe even at intervals if it's too hard, may not be a horrible suggestion. I say this as someone who only ran on treadmills for a while and then got my butt handed to me when I started to run outside. I enjoy the outdoors more, but the slight incline helps on a treadmill especially if you're training for something.
  • gabby0507
    gabby0507 Posts: 7
    I don't think you should go to the treadmill. Stick with the plan it will better prepare you for the actual 5K. I ran a maraton in the past and the terrain is not flat like a treadmill. Just do it, I know you can
This discussion has been closed.