I just cant run

Options
Hi all,
I have faced a very big challenge, which is to run or even jog without stopping every minute or sometimes 30 seconds. I was just not a runner ever since I was a kid. How were you guys when you started your weight loss journey? Would you please share? My knee hurts or I think my feet are just not accustomed to jogging or running.

Replies

• Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Have you considered you don't have to be a runner? Walking works, or an eliptical is good as it doesn't jar the knees. Make sure you have appropriate footwear for what you are doing.
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I don't run. I'm not a runner. I have no desire to be one either. I'll walk to the ends of the Earth. I'll dance there too...but running. Nope.
  • Superchick123
    Superchick123 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but i feel like running will burn fat all around my body, and just doing ellipticals and bike are not enough for it, right
  • inbluedresses
    Options
    Knee and foot pain can sometimes be attributed to the shoes you're wearing. The right pair of shoes can make a WORLD of difference. If running is something you're serious about getting in to, I'd suggest finding a store that can assist you in finding the right shoes for your feet, and investing in a pair :)
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    I started off much the same way you are. I was having a problem with my toes going numb after the first 20 or 30 minutes, too, which was because of my shoes. I did a ton of research on various running shoes, committed to a pair (Patagonia Tsali), and loved every minute of them up until I'd destroyed them - and I recently did a 10 mile race in just over 2 hours. I finally replaced them with a pair of K-Swiss Cali Mari Tubes, which are amazing.
  • ElphieTMoLM
    ElphieTMoLM Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If you can't run, speed walk. I have a hard time running, both because of asthma and lack of endurance/ focus. However, I really like the couch to 5k program. You run and walk in set intervals. Modify things to fit your needs.

I just started doing Zumba fitness a few weeks ago, and it's the first thing that my body really responds to. There are so many great ways to get in your daily cardio. Play around. Try new things. In the end for what your body responds to.
  • janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Options
    Sometimes foot and knee pain is caused by not wearing the right kind of running shoes. But if you have persistent knee problems when you are not running, you might look into something like aqua aerobics of other low impact exercise groups.
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    :)
    Have you considered you don't have to be a runner? Walking works, or an eliptical is good as it doesn't jar the knees. Make sure you have appropriate footwear for what you are doing.

Lol so glad to see this :) I hate running, it was my least favorite part of the triathlon when I was a triathlete

I have been wondering when running became the be all and end all of exercise :) it seems that everyone I know runs and a lot of aquaintences I have say things like "I need to be more active, I need tips on becoming a runner because I hate to run"

If you don't like running, don't run :) There are many activities you can do in place of running. Walking, swimming, join a team soccer, baseball, basketball etc) grab a friend and play squash, do those DVDs, yoga. the list is endless :)
  • Joyride81
    Joyride81 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just keep trying.
    My first attempts at running sucked too. I couldn't run for 200meters. I started with running a minute and then walking 2 tree times a week. Did some other kinds of cardio and some strenght training to.
    When you get stronger an leaner it will get beter. Today I'll run 16km. I couldn't even walk that far when I started.
    Just go for it!
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but i feel like running will burn fat all around my body, and just doing ellipticals and bike are not enough for it, right

I do Tae-Bo and it kicks every part of my body and a sweat like a MoFo. I'd rather do that than run. (plus it burns cals hard core)

I used to belly dance and after a good solid class, again my whole body was worked.

Maybe try Zumba. It's a good burn and full body.
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options

they are enough for it :) just being active will do it

but if you want to work on specific areas you might want to try adding strength training in :)

Also swimming is one of the best whole body workouts you can get and it is very low impact :)
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    When I started I couldn't run for a minute. I cried when I ran for 20 mins without stopping. Last weekend I ran a half marathon.
  • foxys_mum
    foxys_mum Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It may also be you are trying to go to fast?
  • clarewalsh5477
    clarewalsh5477 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm not designed to run either. But there are other ways of exercising :)
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I couldn't run for a minute either. I felt like there was no way I could be a runner. I was tired and out of breath in thirty seconds. Looking back I think I may have been going too fast for those thirty seconds, but I'm not sure. Now I can run ten km without feeling as winded as I used to in under a minute.
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Just hold your horses. In all likelihood you can run. Just not as far or as fast as you want maybe. Start out walking for 90 seconds and running for 30. Alternate for 20 minutes. See how your knees and body feels. if you feet and knees hurt you might want to get a fitted for running shoes. Then look at the Couch to 5K program. Google it. It's a program for beginner runners to help you ease into running for longer distances and time periods. If you want to run I bet you can. It just takes some time to ease your mind and body into it!
  • triskaidekaphile13
    triskaidekaphile13 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I couldn't run. Absolutely couldn't. Not even for a bus if it was leaving. Last July I started this journey with MFP and got a FitBit and started brisk walking. Then I heard about C25K (Couch to 5K). I wondered if I'd be able to run but was convinced I couldn't. My trainers were old and really only used for leisure and I didn't really have anything suitable to wear however, I looked at the stories on the C25K website and thought I'd give it a go. I downloaded the free NHS podcasts and started at Week 1 Day 1 as you should. I found the beginning tough. I used a local park and am nervous of dogs so some days the MapMyWalk GPS tracking showed a very odd pattern indeed as I kept switching directions to avoid dogs but by running really slowly and doing exactly the intervals on the podcast I slowly began to to be able to run for the longer periods. The podcast was great and Laura, the presenter, had done the programme herself and knew just when to say something encouraging.

I'd agreed with my wife that if I got to halfway I would get some proper running trainers and we luckily found a store that was closing down and I got some lovely running shoes that have really made a difference. Near the end I switched to using Runkeeper to keep track of what I was doing and was astonished when I finished C25K and could run for 30 minutes straight. How on earth had that happened? However, I was nowhere near running 5K in the time which was a bit disappointing.

I ran my first 5K last November with a slight injury after a cyclist almost collided with me and I stopped dead and pulled a calf muscle. When it had healed I went back to intervals and then gradually to running again. Last Saturday I ran parkrun, a free 5K that runs all over the world, and got a PB by 353 seconds. I ran parkrun again yesterday and beat my PB again by 77 seconds. My initial target was to run 5K under 35 minutes and I've now done that so my new target is a pace of under 11 minutes per mile (I'm currently at 11 minutes 11 seconds). When I get there I'll work towards running 5K in under 30 minutes. I run 5K three times a week on local pavements on a route incorporating hills and absolutely love it. It's a great way to clear my head and challenge myself. I do cardio and strength exercises on the other days. I've now got a really supportive sports bra to help with the bounce and wear running tights and a wicking top. I look like a runner!

There are loads of local groups to do C25K or similar programmes with other people. Where I live there's a women only running group that runs a programme and I cheered one of their recent graduates yesterday as she finished 5K. There are also loads of apps available for smartphones to do the programme. RunDouble has been recommended to me for Android. However, I loved using the NHS podcasts from here: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/get-running-with-couch-to-5k.aspx

Try C25K. It's made a runner out of me and that is something I'd never ever had thought would be possible at 44. Edited to add, as my ticker isn't working, I've lost over 53lbs since last July and running has certainly helped with that.
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    walking burns same calories, just takes longer to get there :-)

put in some hills too, burns 60% more :-)
  • anitagirl8
    anitagirl8 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    :)

Lol so glad to see this :) I hate running, it was my least favorite part of the triathlon when I was a triathlete

I have been wondering when running became the be all and end all of exercise :) it seems that everyone I know runs and a lot of aquaintences I have say things like "I need to be more active, I need tips on becoming a runner because I hate to run"

If you don't like running, don't run :) There are many activities you can do in place of running. Walking, swimming, join a team soccer, baseball, basketball etc) grab a friend and play squash, do those DVDs, yoga. the list is endless :)

Exactly!! I know the feeling. Bought running shoes that costs more than a year gym membership, joined a running club and three months later still can't run. The running club coach recommended I power walk instead. Guess he was feeling sorry for me. LOL