What is the cause of water retention during and after exercise? Can I avoid it?

Options
When I exercise or walk fast, I get water retention. My fingers and toes are often very bloated and so is my tummy sometimes. I usually drink water throughout my exercise - about half a liter (1 pint) per 30 minutes. Sometimes I may drink the water only once I have finished.

Is there anything I can do to stop it as it is very uncomfortable?

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    That sounds like something more than just water retention. I have weight gain due to water retention, but nothing ever swells up and I drink more water than that. I'd go in and see your doctor, it kinda sounds like edema, not just water retention, and that can be serious.
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of that either after exercise.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    That's not water retention as it usually understood, it's not normally physically visible or uncomfortable as it's at a cellular level for muscle repair

If I was guessing I'd think your sodium is out of balance, eg too little consumed

I'd drink an electrolyte drink like Emergen-C whilst / before exercising (I do anyway because I like the taste and psychological boost)

See your doc to rule out anything else
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    That's not water retention as it usually understood, it's not normally physically visible or uncomfortable as it's at a cellular level for muscle repair

If I was guessing I'd think your sodium is out of balance, eg too little consumed

I'd drink an electrolyte drink like Emergen-C whilst / before exercising (I do anyway because I like the taste and psychological boost)

This.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

This.

Yep!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,515 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Are you eating enough, and are you getting enough salt? How long are you working out and at what temperatures? Whenever I go on a lengthy hikes in summerly southern Europe I might end up with what you describe. My fingers also feel really stiff then. it's from eating too little salt when being active at 30 degrees C in the shadow for a few hours, maybe in combination with either drinking too much (diluting your blood) or too little (losing electrolytes). It usually goes away once I get a coke and something to eat afterwards. That's one of the very few occasions where I really like a soft drink.

edit: check out hyponatremia. This might be what you're dealing with.
  • mudmonkeyonwheels
    mudmonkeyonwheels Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    OK so this isn't the best source but this might help
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/edema/expert-answers/hand-swelling/faq-20058255

I often get a small amount of swelling. One time it happened so bad that I lost my grip on my weights at the gym because I lost feeling in my hands. I went to the doc about it and they said that it is relatively common for the above reasons especially when you are new to exercise or just getting back into it after a long break. I find the best thing to help is ensuring I flex my hands and feet (scrunch your toes).
  • canderson331
    Options
    I think if u have less salty foods before workouts itll help. atleast for me it did. good luck.
  • jdforshort
    jdforshort Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    aaliceinw wrote: »
    When I exercise or walk fast, I get water retention. My fingers and toes are often very bloated and so is my tummy sometimes. I usually drink water throughout my exercise - about half a liter (1 pint) per 30 minutes. Sometimes I may drink the water only once I have finished.

Is there anything I can do to stop it as it is very uncomfortable?
    I can relate to this completely (when I walk 2-3 hrs and drink lots of water) but I don't feel uncomfortable just surprised. It normally goes away by the next morning.

• aaliceinw
    aaliceinw Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Are you eating enough, and are you getting enough salt? How long are you working out and at what temperatures? Whenever I go on a lengthy hikes in summerly southern Europe I might end up with what you describe. My fingers also feel really stiff then. it's from eating too little salt when being active at 30 degrees C in the shadow for a few hours, maybe in combination with either drinking too much (diluting your blood) or too little (losing electrolytes). It usually goes away once I get a coke and something to eat afterwards. That's one of the very few occasions where I really like a soft drink.

edit: check out hyponatremia. This might be what you're dealing with.

This sounds sounds exactly right! I walk/ran a 5km course and it is our summer! Even though it was the morning it may have been 26C when we finished and I am just learning to eat the proper food and nutrients. I will check the sodium levels for that day and the few days before.

Thanks I will check with both my nutritionist and my doc before continuing with the next run.
    OK so this isn't the best source but this might help
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/edema/expert-answers/hand-swelling/faq-20058255

I often get a small amount of swelling. One time it happened so bad that I lost my grip on my weights at the gym because I lost feeling in my hands. I went to the doc about it and they said that it is relatively common for the above reasons especially when you are new to exercise or just getting back into it after a long break. I find the best thing to help is ensuring I flex my hands and feet (scrunch your toes).

Thanks for the link. I will look it up.

Thanks everyone else. Getting fit and healthy is a learning curve. Getting rid of old habits and learning new ones feels good and I know it is also a journey about understanding my body better.
  • aaliceinw
    Options
    Mudmonkeyonwheels, the mayo clinic article was very useful and I do take medication that increases the risks of hyponatremia. I will start taking electrolytes to help with the sodium loss if the doc and the nutritionist give me the okay to continue.
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    oops never mind! posted the same thing as someone else.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Go see your doctor.
  • aaliceinw
    Options
    Saw doc. All is okay. Nothing to worry about ! Thanks for your help everyone.