A calorie is not a calorie.

Options
What an eye opener
Dr Robert Lustig Lecture: Sugar The Bitter Truth
This is a must watch. A few day ago someone said all calories were created equal. NOT! Go to youtube and type this in.
Dr Robert Lustig Lecture: Sugar The Bitter Truth 2013

Replies

• ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    A calorie is a measure of energy carried out by burning the substance in a calorimeter in pure oxygen and the rise in temperature measured. All calories are EXACTLY the same, just as all inches are the same. There may be a difference in how easily our body processes certain foodstuffs so net calories can be different (ie calories in versus calories expended in processing the foodstuff). Also what this guy says over fructose is contentious and as yet unproven.

"Lustig's assertion that the food sugar fructose is a "poison" or "toxin" that augments body fat storage — thus representing a (or the) primary cause of the obesity now prevalent in the Western world........."

Please! The primary cause of the obesity now prevalent in the Western world is over consumption.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a measure of energy carried out by burning the substance in a calorimeter in pure oxygen and the rise in temperature measured. All calories are EXACTLY the same, just as all inches are the same. There may be a difference in how easily our body processes certain foodstuffs so net calories can be different (ie calories in versus calories expended in processing the foodstuff). Also what this guy says over fructose is contentious and as yet unproven.

"Lustig's assertion that the food sugar fructose is a "poison" or "toxin" that augments body fat storage — thus representing a (or the) primary cause of the obesity now prevalent in the Western world........."

Please! The primary cause of the obesity now prevalent in the Western world is over consumption.
    Not just an expert in origami....

I agree wholeheartedly.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    On the other side of the coin, here is an article by a well-known, respected researcher/trainer in the field of health, fitness and nutrition who debunks Lustig's rhetoric and thoroughly explains why:

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

In Lustig's case (as in the case of most diet extremists/alarmists), context and dosage is completely ignored.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    On the other side of the coin, here is an article by a well-known, respected researcher/trainer in the field of health, fitness and nutrition who debunks Lustig's rhetoric and thoroughly explains why:

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

this is efficient. both arguments, first page of thread, bump for later.

Except if a calorie is not a calorie then can one of them be spelled chalorie for clarity? cause then how will we know which one we are talking about the calorie or the calorie? see what I mean?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's true.
  • x3na1401
    x3na1401 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

Totally agree, but the super high cal/fat crap they sell as food also causes massive obesity.

Last week I ate a dominos veggie pizza without checking out the cals first.
    I ate over 1600 cals in pizza alone that day! Would I have it again? Yes. But only as a treat maybe once
    A month. I prefer to get my calories from more nutritional sources.
  • BeTheFire
    BeTheFire Posts: 102 Member
    Options

A very excellent explanation. Thank you sir.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I started my nutritional adventures many moons back with Sean Croxton of Underground Wellness doing his simplified version of Lustig's lecture. And there started a long an interesting journey via Taubes, WheatBelly, FatHead, etc.

Basically Lustig is wrong and alarmist. The primary cause of people being fat is over consumption, or at least not matching consumption to activity level.

It ain't sugar, fructose or whatever.
  • xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    Options
    Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's true.
    2vbwo4n.jpg
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options

Not just an expert in origami....

I agree wholeheartedly.

Well said sir!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    What an eye opener
    This is a must watch. A few day ago someone said all calories were created equal. NOT! Go to youtube and type this in.

But if a calorie isn't a calorie what is it?
  • lookitsbecc
    lookitsbecc Posts: 22 Member
    Options

Preeeaaaacccchhhhh!!!

My boyfriend's diet is horrendous by society's standards.. he lives on bread, cakes, chocolates, crisps and cheese and nothing else, he is a "healthy" weight for his height. I eat pastas, salads, veggies, fruits, basically everything that would be considered "healthy" or "wholesome" I over eat, he doesn't. I am over weight, he isn't.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

135188305038018_animate.gif
    saying (calorie =/= calorie) = (cent =/= cent)
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options

This ^

At last, somebody with some commonsense!
  • yinkyo
    yinkyo Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    What an eye opener

But if a calorie isn't a calorie what is it?
    well technically what everyone calls a calorie is a kcal... which is actually 1000 calories *shrugs* but I'm guessing that's not the question nor the argument here xD
  • ohmyitsikka
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie, but I think the whole purpose of this thread was to highlight the differences between macros and their role in the body. I'm not about to rectite everything I know on the matter, but think paleo/hunter gatherer vs the current western diet. It's easy enough to down 1000+ cals in about 10 mins at McDonald's, but I would burst if I attempted the same thing with 'clean food'.

I say let people do what they want to do.
  • knottyceltic
    knottyceltic Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    BANG ON Ron!