Should I continue lifting weights???

Options
I'm currently 198 pounds, female and I've been working out more recently. I've received different advice on lifting weight and cardio exercises. I'm trying to lose fat and I am currently focusing on cardio everyday but some people have told me that I should still continue with the weight training while others say it is not a good idea. Will lifting weight allow me to lose body fat faster??

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights will mean that a greater proportion of your weight-loss is actually fat.

Most people who want to lose weight, really want to lose fat. This is where a decent lifting routine, adherence to a calorie deficit and a bucket-load of protein comes into play for optimal fat loss.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    Lifting weights will mean that a greater proportion of your weight-loss is actually fat.

Most people who want to lose weight, really want to lose fat. This is where a decent lifting routine, adherence to a calorie deficit and a bucket-load of protein comes into play for optimal fat loss.

Yeah, what he said
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Anyone discouraging you from lifting weights for anything other than a specific medical condition or injury probably is wrong.
  • Laureani
    Laureani Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »

Okay, makes sense mate.
  • sazzyb_
    sazzyb_ Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    YES. Weights are so much more important than cardio when it comes to fat/weight loss. Check this link http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/fat_loss_training_wars.htm
  • madisonamanda
    madisonamanda Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I did cardio FOREVER to lose weight. I was 190 lbs, I got down to 165-170 doing just cardio and low calories. I started lifting, and did very little cardio.. eating according to my macros and very high protein and I lost 30 more pounds, gained a lot of muscle and am in the best shape I've ever been in.

Like "JIMMMER" said earlier.. deficit, lots of protein, and weights baby!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    You lose fat by addressing your eating. You build strength and keep your muscle mass by lifting.
  • Bukeelaka
    Options
    Yes.
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Weights all the way! I dropped over 30lbs and added some muscle mass just by lifting heavy weights alongside no cardio whatsoever!
  • Lambrah
    Lambrah Posts: 45 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    lifting weights will not only help you lose weight, but it will help you keep the weight off.
  • punchgut
    punchgut Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Cardo will not really help with burning fat. When you get into the cardio burn this causes your body to go into your glycogen stores for energy, i.e. burning sugar. To burn fat, you need to move frequently at a moderate pace. You want to go for a brisk walk at no more than 65% max heart rate. Move frequently at a moderate pace.

Lifting most definitely helps with burning fat. Lifting heavy objects will turn slow twitch muscle into fast twitch muscle which in turns promotes turning adjacent white fat into brown fat, which helps to burn fatty acids selectively at a faster rate. Anyone who tells you not to lift while trying to burn fat has know idea what they are talking about.

To repeat, the two best things you can do for burning fat is walking at a moderate pace and lifting heavy objects!!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I did both and lost all the weight I wanted. I recommend doing both to lose fat and protect muscle.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Cardio is great and you should definitely keep at it. High intensity interval training is awesome at burning fat.

But if you want a nice body, then you want to lift.