Creating a deficit to lose weight

Options
I have a burning question. If I count calories religiously and consume 500 calories less per day,
will I lose 1lb/week regardless of my gender, race, age, type of food, how or when I eat??

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Roughly but not in a straight line, if you mean 500 less than TDEE
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily. Weight loss counts on CICO - calories in calories out - but the calories out part of the equation DEPENDS on your gender, age, height and current weight. If you eat 500 less than your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure, which depends on the above factors) then yeah, barring any medical condition, you will probably lose 1lb per week regardless of what types of food you are eating.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Its theoretical, but as above it should correspons doughly as a trend over time thats months. There plenty of other things that can affect you as well as inaccurate calorie counting/ burning. Counting calories is the best we have though, so do yourself a favour if it matters that much and weigh your food.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Roughly but not in a straight line, if you mean 500 less than TDEE

This. And you also have to realize that this is the case if you have an accurate TDEE number. MFP and TDEE calculators are useful for estimating TDEE, and they were fairly accurate for me. But it may take some tweaking to find what works for you.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    In a perfect world, yes. When you throw in things like: weight loss isn't linear, water retention, or just the normal fluctuations we have, probability goes down.
  • Goldenhoneypot
    Goldenhoneypot Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do mean 500 calories less than TDEE...
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Yes, in theory.

In practice, no. Your TDEE will vary every day, because you're never going to be getting exactly the same amount of exercise in every single day. It's also almost impossible to measure your TDEE exactly. Plus, as careful as you are, it's also almost impossible to log your food calories exactly, too.

Plus, the weight you see displayed on the scale will be affected by water weight, hormonal fluctuations, time of day, etcetera.

In theory, if you keep up a 500 calorie deficit, over time you should see a weight loss that trends out to 1lb/week. But it won't be exactly linear. It will fluctuate.
  • Goldenhoneypot
    Goldenhoneypot Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I can accept fluctuation and I intend on doing this for the long haul until I reach a healthy weight. I just want to make sure that I am doing the right thing to lose pounds. I had put all my info into mfp and a 500 cal deficit was given. I have 55 pounds to lose...will I be able to reach my goal with a calorie deficit even though it will take a long time?
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I can accept fluctuation and I intend on doing this for the long haul until I reach a healthy weight. I just want to make sure that I am doing the right thing to lose pounds. I had put all my info into mfp and a 500 cal deficit was given. I have 55 pounds to lose...will I be able to reach my goal with a calorie deficit even though it will take a long time?

Yes, that's how it works. Eat at a deficit and you'll lose weight.