Weird... my wrists seem to be shrinking

Options
segacs
segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
I've lost 23lbs so far and it seems to be coming off from the strangest places. I'd always thought wrist size was relatively consistent, but I've noticed my watch getting looser, and sure enough, I measured today and my wrist is almost a quarter of an inch smaller.

I'm not exactly thrilled -- my wrists were tiny to begin with (5.25"), and now they're even tinier (measured at 5" today on my non-dominant hand). Why oh why can't I be losing inches on my stomach and hips instead? (Rhetorical question.)

Has anyone else had this happen?

Replies

• TheEats
    TheEats Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My wrists shrink first as well, but I do not believe this is the fat loss, I think it is water weight. Ankles, wrists, fingers and so on tend to hold some of the water retention.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My wrists are as small as they're going to get, at 6.25". But yeah, I do scratch my head sometimes over where the weight comes off. Bodies are weird.
  • segacs
    Options
    Yeah, I doubt it's water weight at this point, since I'm 3 months in and the big water weight drop was in the first few weeks.

Kinda annoying... I already couldn't buy watches or bracelets without taking them to a jeweller to remove links. *Sigh*
  • CatLady1309
    Options
    I've got tiny wrists ( I've been that lol) but I'm small framed so it's never bothered me
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Wrists and my face are always the first to go.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Wrists and feet. When I first lost the bulk of my weight, I went down a shoe size.
  • segacs
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Wrists and feet. When I first lost the bulk of my weight, I went down a shoe size.

Egads, I sure hope that doesn't happen! I'm a size 6 now, which used to be the easiest size to find in shoe stores and was generally the sample size. Over the past few years, I've noticed a disturbing trend where shoe stores aren't stocking sizes smaller than 7. If I go down a shoe size, my favourite thing to buy -- shoes -- will turn into a real hassle.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The wrist bone does stay close to the same size, but it is covered with skin and fat.
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

Egads, I sure hope that doesn't happen! I'm a size 6 now, which used to be the easiest size to find in shoe stores and was generally the sample size. Over the past few years, I've noticed a disturbing trend where shoe stores aren't stocking sizes smaller than 7. If I go down a shoe size, my favourite thing to buy -- shoes -- will turn into a real hassle.

I'm a size 5 and it sucks. I can only buy shoes at Payless and Target, and even Target now starts at a 5.5 (which I can manage if I add foam insoles).
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

My wrists are smaller and my 7s and 6.5s are getting too big now (I was a 6 until a few years ago).

I worked for a department store and was told by the shoe buyer that our company distributed more of the smaller sizes to stores with heavily Latin@ and Asian areas because those populations have more people in those sizes. (Perhaps bone density is the reason for this because I've read studies linking those populations to lower bone density? I am unsure.) Ask if you can get another store to transfer a pair in your size. That's obviously going to be a store-by-store policy, but I've been able to do it, even when the reason for the transfer was a stretched-out sample size.

I really hope stores around here don't stop selling the smaller sizes!
  • segacs
    Options
    I'm Canadian. Bit different here.
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I mean, weight really comes off everywhere. When I lost a lot I remember not being able to pour salt into my hands because it would just run through the gaps between my fingers. It's weird.