Does pilates = weight loss?

Options
I'm starting Pilates next week, I was hoping someone could tell me what to expect? Will it help with weight loss and/or toning. I have never done it before so have no idea how it's going to help me and what results I'm going to get.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    The actual formula is (pilates+calorie deficit)=weight loss.

In fact, the real formula is (calorie deficit+X)=weight loss
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You'll build some strength, especially in your core, and flexibility. It burns a very small number of calories. By itself it isn't going to lead to much in the way of increased weight loss, imo. I think I used to burn something like 100 calories per hour when I did it regularly. But I did find it helpful to build up strength in my limbs before I started lifting.

Also I've taken pilates in a couple of different settings and also with DVDs at home-- there's some variability. Some instructors focus more on relaxation and some take more of a cardio approach.
  • BeTheChange352
    BeTheChange352 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    it won't help you lose weight if you're eating too much.
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Pilates is awesome. Just do it. Don't count the calories for it. It will improve co-ordination and strength. It is just strength training but with your body weight for the most part.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks guys. One of my aims is to grow a butt lol. Since losing weight my bum is like a pancake! Once I get into the swing of the gym I'm going to start weight training
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It's strength training. So it's a good thing for long term health AND weight control.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Awesome, thanks guys. One of my aims is to grow a butt lol. Since losing weight my bum is like a pancake! Once I get into the swing of the gym I'm going to start weight training

I never saw much improvements in terms of my butt but the instructors I had and the videos I did never really seemed to focus much on that. You could try adding in some body weight hip thrusts, glute bridges, or split squats on top though. The only problem is, to see continued progress you have to keep making the exercise harder. That's why people specify progressive loading strength training in threads where people want to build muscle. You can do it with body weight exercises, it's just not quite as "built in" as it is with lifting, where all you have to do is increase the weight.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    What is the difference between yoga and pilates? I'm starting hot yoga tomorrow, and I'm excited!
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I love pilates, especially using the equipment (vs the mat classes). It's fun and it's great for balance, flexibility and strengthening -- especially the core.
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I've been doing pilates twice a week for the past year. As others have said it doesn't burn many calories but it is good for toning. My class is particularly light so I really just do it as a supplement to my regular routine. If I only do pilates that day, I pretty much count it as a rest day.
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    If you want to make changes to your backside, I cannot recommend the elliptical machine enough.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    What is the difference between yoga and pilates? I'm starting hot yoga tomorrow, and I'm excited!

Pilates is more core focused. Yoga tends to be more full body. Pilates is done almost exclusively on the floor. Sometimes (depending on the instructor) pilates involves more cardio.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    myfatass78 wrote: »
    If you want to make changes to your backside, I cannot recommend the elliptical machine enough.

Ok thanks. I'll check that out while I'm there. It's referenced alot on the forums
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Ok thanks. I'll check that out while I'm there. It's referenced alot on the forums

Mr Acrylics must have missed the boat on that. That's the only kind of exercise he does and he has no butt at all. :laugh:
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I can deadlift 195 but find pilates painful and horrible. Such a stressful thing to do on the floor! Lying down is for relaxing.
  • Christine_72
    Options

Mr Acrylics must have missed the boat on that. That's the only kind of exercise he does and he has no butt at all. :laugh:

Haha at Mracrylics :D
    I'm also going to incorporate lots of lunges and squats at home. I'm only a few kgs away from my goal weight.