Anyone have low carb recipes?

fiddlegal06
fiddlegal06 Posts: 6 Member
I'm not cutting out all carbs, but I would like to reduce my intake from about 150 to 100g. I have some things I make that are low carb and I would love more ideas!!

Replies

• transientcanuck
    transientcanuck Posts: 82 Member
    I'm doing something really similar where I'm just trying to increase the amount of protein (at the expense of limiting carbs) in my diet. I've generally found the recipes below to be really good:

Breakfast
    Fried eggs in bell pepper rings: http://foodrenegade.com/fried-eggs-in-a-bell-pepper-ring/
    Quinoa Porridge (slightly higher in carbs, but is a good recipe to start the day with. I sometimes add nuts for extra protein or fat): allrecipes.com/recipe/quinoa-porridge/

I also like to have poached eggs on some avocado and maybe a small piece of 12-grain toast. Greek yogurt with a bit a fruit is also an idea.

Lunch
    Chicken and Avocado Salad: kalynskitchen.com/2012/05/recipe-for-chicken-and-avocado-salad.html
    A variety of mason jar salad recipies. If you add some roast chicken, lentils, nuts, and/or beans, it can add some extra protein: villagegreennetwork.com/17-mason-jar-salad-ideas/

Dinner
    Swiss chard and stirfried beef: wholeliving.com/130828/swiss-chard-snap-peas-and-beef-stir-fry
    Baked turkey meatballs (I often make my own tomato sauce to go with it, and just serve it over salad)hilahcooking.com/baked-turkey-meatballs/
    Chicken fajitas. This is my absolute favourite easy low-carb recipe. Rather than eating these in wraps, I serve them over salad or in a lettuce leaf wrap.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/chicken_fajitas/
    Ginger chicken meatballs. If you can't find Chinese broccoli, just use regular broccoli and it'll turn out just as good bonappetit.com/recipe/ginger-chicken-meatballs-chinese-broccoli?mbid=synd_buzzfeed

Hope this helps. Enjoy :)

• AugustCountdown
    AugustCountdown Posts: 26 Member
    I'm about to go out now get the ingredients for a ratatouille recipe. If you love veg try that. But I might add some mince meat in mine and have with a small serving of pasta
  • aheshke
    aheshke Posts: 1 Member
    I cook a lot, so here are a couple things I've found to decrease carb intake over a long period of time:

Breakfasts:
    - Have "Berry Bowls": 1 c. mixed berries (cheaper if frozen) with 1 c. unsweetened vanilla nut milk (cow's milk has more carbs due to lactose) and eat with 1 oz. mixed nuts or a half-serving of oatmeal for more carbs and fiber. For a really healthy and filling breakfast, try the berries and milk with a few tbsp of chia seeds, as in: http://www.healthyhabitsolutions.com/almond-milk-blueberry-chia-pudding/gallery-36/#.VMUAmorF-1I
    - Avoid sweeteners in your tea or coffee. If it's too bitter to drink straight, reduce the amount or add some milk. It's too easy to drink sweeteners and go past your goal, especially if you normally don't drink a lot of water.
    - Like transientcanuck said, eggs are great for a low-carb yet satisfying breakfast. Pair it with lots of mixed vegetables (bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, asparagus, green beans, tomatoes, etc.) or a small amount of carbs to get some glucose to your brain in the groggy hours of the morning. ;)
    - Vegetable Bowls: My personal low-carb favorite, 'cause you can eat a huge breakfast this way. Use the leftover vegetables from last night's lunch/dinner or use fresh/frozen. Eat a larger serving size than usual, like 2-3x what you'd normally eat on the side. Include some protein-rich veggies like spinach or broccoli. Sautée mushrooms/onions/garlic/celery/carrots/peppers until aromatic, then add the rest of the vegetables you're eating and cook until softened and flavorful. Dump in a bowl and drizzle with soy sauce. Pair with a half-serving of protein drink.

Lunches
    - Salads! Large salads, no bread and include small portion of chickpeas or other beans/nuts/seeds to round them out, nutrition-wise. Avoid adding bread/pasta/croutons/dried fruit. Use small amount of dressing or better yet, use a mixture of oil and vinegar with salt and pepper.
    - Soups, especially vegetable ones low in pasta and potatoes. Cream-based soups up the caloric load, so I usually stick to broth-based soups or chilis with more meat than beans.

Dinners
    - Lettuce-wrapped burgers, tacos, etc. Really easy way to cut back carbs.
    - Fish or other seafood grilled/baked with lemon, dill, celery salt, and pepper until flaky when tested with a fork or until package instructions for seafood. Pair with oven-roasted vegetables (winter squash, carrots, parsnips, turnips, radish, rutabaga, Brussels sprouts) seasoned with celery salt and rosemary and steamed broccoli/cauliflower. (Would probably work okay with chicken or turkey or red meat, too.)
    - Low-Carb Shepherd's Pie: Preheat oven to 375 °F. Use 1.5 lbs ground meat sautéed with finely chopped 4 sticks celery, 2 diced carrots, 8 oz chopped mushrooms, 1 tsp onion powder, garlic to taste, salt and pepper to taste. Meanwhile, steam a head of cauliflower or about 2 lbs frozen cauliflower. Continue to sautée mixture until meat is done and vegetables are slightly softened and aromatic. Layer in sprayed oven-safe casserole dish. Mash steamed cauliflower with a potato masher or process in food processor until consistency of mashed potatoes. Season with garlic, salt, and pepper to taste and add oil/butter as desired. Spread over meat and vegetable mixture in casserole and bake in oven until browned and crispy on top.

Snacking
    - Fresh foods: berries, celery with nut butter or 2 tbsp hummus, cherry tomatoes
    - Beef or turkey jerky or sticks, low-sugar (<5 g/serving)
    - (For a larger snack): Any of the KIND Nuts & Spices bars, since they're 5 g sugar or less per bar and ~15-20 g of carbs max per bar.

Other Resources (mostly Paleo recipes, since those usually are low-carb):
    - Eat Drink Paleo
    - nomnompaleo.com/recipeindex
    - allrecipes.com/recipes/everyday-cooking/special-diets/low-carb/