Beating the hunger pains.

Options
santd
santd Posts: 234 Member
I've lost 196 pounds following this guide... and you must experiment with yourself to see what works for you. If you are the kind of person that used to be able to go all day without eating anything and not feel hungry ,but as soon as you ate something your appetite would come back ferociously, and then you couldn't stop eating all evening, then this may help you.

I experimented on myself, to find out what my hunger or appetite was, if i could go all day without eating, and not feel hungry, what was all that about? If the body goes over 6 hours without any nourishment it automatically thinks its starving, so it goes into slow motion to save stores, slows down the metabolic rate. Then when you eat, the brain suddenly knows this, and sends signals for more food just in case its starved again, hence these starvation diets don't work in the long run! only short term, also it affects your immune system badly. So then you become on a vicious circle.

What I did, was to see how much food I needed to eat before the hunger/appetite came back. So I started off with 3 hours apart. I put the same weight of food on a side plate. After 3 hours the hunger didn't come back so I increased it to 3 and half hours, I did the same again. Still the hunger didn't come back, so i then increased it to 4 hours, then I felt hungry afterwards, and couldn't stop eating. So I make sure I eat every 3 3/4 hours apart regularly, and I can honestly say I've never felt hungry since. If you can master your hunger sticking to a diet then becomes more easy. Try it, but you do have to be honest with yourself about if you are feeling hungry or not.

I will also talk about the different foods to eat throughout the day, which aids weight loss better, in another topic. hope this helps everyone.

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I'd just like to give you a huge pat on the back for losing almost 200 lbs!!!!!! Wow! You did something right :smile:
  • alehundrah
    alehundrah Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    196 lbs is such an amazing acomplishment. You should be incredibly proud of your acomplishment. I definitely have to check out the guide your talking about. I feel that I get hungry during the night. I wake up in the morning and i'm fine but I notice that I tend to be hungry a lot during the evening. I eat dinner around 6 or 7 and notice that i'm hungry again around 9or 10. And if I eat again, I'm hungry within a couple of hours!!!
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    196 lbs is such an amazing acomplishment. You should be incredibly proud of your acomplishment. I definitely have to check out the guide your talking about. I feel that I get hungry during the night. I wake up in the morning and i'm fine but I notice that I tend to be hungry a lot during the evening. I eat dinner around 6 or 7 and notice that i'm hungry again around 9or 10. And if I eat again, I'm hungry within a couple of hours!!!

probably if you have a black coffee or a tea at 9 or 10 that would take care of it. if you actually want to eat something, just make room in your daily cals.

I'm doing intermittent fasting, so I eat fro 2pm till 8pm on a 6 hour eating window. I have a herbal tea before I go to bed if im feel a little empty stomached. IF has kinda changed what I think hunger is.

well done OP on your epic weight loss. this sounds like a great plan for people who have similar problems.
  • GARNETT45
    GARNETT45 Posts: 1
    Options
    This sound great I will have to try this starting tomorrow.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    If the body goes over 6 hours without any nourishment it automatically thinks its starving, so it goes into slow motion to save stores, slows down the metabolic rate. Then when you eat, the brain suddenly knows this, and sends signals for more food just in case its starved again, hence these starvation diets don't work in the long run! only short term, also it affects your immune system badly.

I don't believe this is true. Science has a different opinion backed up by substantial research.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    If the body goes over 6 hours without any nourishment it automatically thinks its starving, so it goes into slow motion to save stores, slows down the metabolic rate. Then when you eat, the brain suddenly knows this, and sends signals for more food just in case its starved again, hence these starvation diets don't work in the long run! only short term, also it affects your immune system badly.

I don't believe this is true. Science has a different opinion backed up by substantial research.

yah, thats some bro science right there.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    If the body goes over 6 hours without any nourishment it automatically thinks its starving, so it goes into slow motion to save stores, slows down the metabolic rate
    so very wrong...
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Congrats on losing 196 lbs!

Mastering hunger is a difficult task and is a pretty key ingredient in losing weight. Although satiety is affected by so many different factors it's often not a good indicator of when and how much one should eat.

Also, as others have said, the 6 hours without eating bit . . . . complete broscience.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss, but meal timing is personal preference.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

True. Kind of a silly thing to say. Had she left that out, it all would have been fine. I hate when people throw bro-science, or pseudo-science into the middle of their epic journey to try and make their opinion seem all legit. Lol. I'm trying not to take away from the other stuff she said because I think her method is great. She found something that worked for her.

I was talking to a couple of coworkers about nutrition and dieting the other day and I noticed how it seemed like I now have elevated stature in these discussions; a credibility that I didn't have in the past because I have lost so much weight and am so much more fit. I don't know a lot more than I did before. It's more about commitment to whichever discipline you choose than it is about the choice being the best for scientific reasons. All the plans that work have you eating less than you burn and doing enough exercise to be in decent (or better) shape. Anyway, one of my coworkers was considering trying to do what I do but said it would be really hard to go through the morning eating so little. My advice was and is that he do something else. There is nothing magic about what is working for me that makes it better for everyone.
  • santd
    santd Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    where did I say it was scientific!!!!!!! its what i did to experiment on myself that worked on my appetite. It was to help and encourage others, not for self opinionated people to ridicule.