Hepatitis a found in Costco's Townsend farms organic berries

Options
122ish
122ish Posts: 339 Member
Just a warning about the berries sold at Costco being linked to hepatitis a. You can google any combo of hep a, Costco or berries to get more info.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    This needs to be passed on. Hepatitis A is CONTAGIOUS. Wash hands before touching any food or your mucous membranes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    bump again
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Bump!

Thank you so much for sharing this with everyone! I buy berries from Costco!! I shall definitely not from now on! :O
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    My mom told me about this. Scary :(
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    yikes!!
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    That was a little terrifying. I just bought berries from Costco yesterday, but luckily not those.

It does make you wonder, though - look at how far the HepA spread. How much can it go from one berry to another? I wouldn't have guessed that much, but dag.
  • jporte
    jporte Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Oh no....I buy berries there every week :(

edit: It seems that these are the frozen kind not fresh.
  • goldyd
    goldyd Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lauriead215
    Options
    My sister and nephew both ate them. My nephew was recently vaccinated against it and his pediatrician said there is nothing to worry about. My sister's doctor told her to come in and get the vaccine since it had been a few years since she had one. Crazy stuff!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    No more organic for me! Thanks for sharing. :smile:
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Here is the link to their website for complete info: http://www.townsendfarms.com/ I was looking for lot numbers on Monday which are now listed today: "The product was sold at Costco warehouse stores under the product name Townsend Farms Organic Antioxidant Blend, 3 lb. bag and UPC 0 78414 404448. The recalled codes are located on the back of the package with the words “BEST BY”; followed by the code T012415 sequentially through T053115, followed by a letter. All of these letter designations are included in this recall for the lot codes listed above. " Unfortunately I have a half eaten bag in my possession and wonder how many other bags I've eaten as this is my preferred mix.

I found zero information on their website on Monday, Costco could tell me nothing except to not eat it.....duh....., and the county public health nurse just said to get a Hep A vaccine! I don't like vaccines (had a neuropathy develop from my last one) and was very upset to get one.

I wrote the president of the company after trying to call them being on hold for 10 minutes and then getting an answering machine. He wrote back & gave me his phone number and we talked for 20 minutes yesterday. He is a very nice man, very concerned about the public, and me, wanting to know what he could do for me. A very nice man. He says he is praying for everyone who has eaten the product. They were blindsided by the news themselves over the weekend. They are a family run company and are working day and night answering all calls and emails personally. It is the last family run company on the west coast and they are hoping to survive this. He has offered to pay my vaccine cost and any future bills if need be. Very nice and concerned company president!

I will continue to support them. It was the pomegranate seeds in the mix from Turkey. It isn't Costco, and Townsend Farms isn't a bad company. Things happen. I just hope we are all safe. I've eaten these for months. Sometimes spinach is the culprit, does anyone remember that? It takes weeks for the facts to come to light, to track down the culprit food, and then figure out where it came from and what products it went into. I watched a very interesting documentary once about a shigella outbreak. It took quite a while as several restaurants had patrons reporting this. Turns out it came from infected cilantro from a Mexican farm with broken sewage pipe that nobody knew about that was filtering filthy water into the fields. It's not like someone in the company deliberately poisoned the food. Accidents happen. It is how they are handling this and the concern he has for the folks affected. He was practically crying on the phone he was so worried about everyone.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I buy the big bags of TF frozen berry blends, but from Sam's. Looks like the product shipped there isn't an issue :)