Take fiber supplements to stay full?

Options
Anyone try taking fiber supplements (Metamucil, etc) in order to stay more full while dieting? I was thinking of trying this.

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I'd try something with a more nutritional value like chia seeds or flax seeds.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    I'd try something with a more nutritional value like chia seeds or flax seeds.

yep! Much more nutritional value in these things. I take a fibre powder everyday which has flaxseeds in it, and yes it definitely fills me up!

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're getting minimum levels of protein (0.8-1g per pound of LBM) and you are getting enough fats as both lead to increased satiety

Increased fibre will lead to increased water so you would need to ensure you are drinking enough

Personally I'm not a fan of any supplement, but of training your mind and body to recognise true hunger and appropriate portion sizes of weak food ..sometimes it takes a while
  • purplishblue
    purplishblue Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I always seem to have difficulty getting myself to consume as much protein as I'd like. I even drink a protein shake almost every morning! I know that could be part of it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I always seem to have difficulty getting myself to consume as much protein as I'd like. I even drink a protein shake almost every morning! I know that could be part of it.

Eat real food, as it will keep you sated longer. There are lots of ways to get protein, such as eggs, Greek yogurt, meat, etc.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I add psyllium (the stuff Metamucil is made of ) to my oatmeal in the morning. I add chia and flax seeds too. Some blueberry and a high fat soy drink to make it all palatable and I'm good till lunch.