Gaining weight

Options
I've been working out since the first of the year every week 4-5x a week, both cardio and weights. Went from 163 to 170 since December. I'm not lifting often enough to warrent this kind of weight gain and I don't know what to do!

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    First of all, it's super awesome that you've stuck with a workout schedule this far!

Unfortunately, you can't out-exercise a bad diet ("bad" meaning more calories than you need). Especially if working out hard is a new thing to you, you are probably extra hungry and eating more than you are used to.

Do you track your meals on MFP? That's an easy way to see what you're eating, and then, to successfully eat less.

You're definitely not alone in this. For example, most first-time marathon runners actually *gain* weight in training, even with a crazy amount of running.
  • smalltown_princess
    smalltown_princess Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've been tracking for over 2 weeks now and I've rarely gone over my calorie goal. It's just that my weight is fluctuating so much I'm pretty sure it can't be normal! It went from 170 on Friday to 164 this morning!
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    It's normal for water weight to fluctuate a lot when you first start lifting. This is what a lot of people think is happening when they get "bulky". Your muscles are trying to adapt to the increased stress.

Keep lifting, nail down your diet, and everything will normalize soon. Also, try testing your scale and make sure it's not busted :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    most likely you are under-estimating your calorie intake, and over-estimating how much you are actually exercising.
  • Druscilla10
    Druscilla10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm the same been exercising since April last year. My calorie intake is spot on on map. Don't understand why I'm not losing weight.