best excercise when doing very low calorie diet?

Options
ive had little or no success calorie counting and slimming world .. so in desperation tried a very low calorie diet as have several big functions id like to lose some weight for beginning sept
currently on week 2 of Cambridge diet and have lost 9 lbs so far i want to stick with it for another 10 weeks to kickstart my weight loss then lose the rest at a slower and healthier pace
been doing 25 mins on exercise bike every day and brisk walking but would like to tone up as I lose - wondered if kettlebells would be good idea or should I stick to something low impact such as pilates?
any advice would be much appreciated

Replies

• chocolatecroissant
    chocolatecroissant Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Please be very gentle with yourself. You are burning muscle as well as fat so you don't want to put additional strain on your body with much calorie burning exercise or the body will start to implode! (not the technical term!) Pilates or yoga seems sensible - minimal calorie burn and good for flexibility and posture.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    None - get off this stupid diet, you're losing muscle as well as fat - and will put only fat back on when you stop the VLC leaving you in a worse position.

Lose weight slowly and sensibly - why would you want to mess up your body for such short term results that won't last. :noway:

Read in place of a road map - ditch the stupid cambridge diet and make long term changes that will benefit your health.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    None - get off this stupid diet, you're losing muscle as well as fat - and will put only fat back on when you stop the VLC leaving you in a worse position.

Lose weight slowly and sensibly - why would you want to mess up your body for such short term results that won't last. :noway:

Read in place of a road map - ditch the stupid cambridge diet and make long term changes that will benefit your health.

Preach!
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    To be honest I wouldn't do any exercise at all on such low calories, since your body is going to need everything you're putting in it just to get through the day.

Is it healthy to do no exercise whatsoever? No. But you're a prime candidate for injuring yourself or making yourself sick if you push it whilst on a VLC diet. I don't know how to quote but I looked up an FAQ on the cambridge diet site and it says you need to keep it moderate:

http://www.cambridgeweightplan.com/faq.asp?faqId=16

you might also be interested in this article

http://www.cnn.co.uk/2009/HEALTH/12/15/very.low.calorie.diets/index.html

I am not a doctor, etc