Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Almost 40 and Fearing It?!?!

pmgmjg
pmgmjg Posts: 4 Member
Getting close to 40 and panicked about hitting that milestone and what changes will happen to my body as I get older. Looking for women in a similar place that are stepping it up this year to prepare mentally for the big 4-0. Specifically want accountability partners and motivation for us all!

Replies

• mmeast44
    mmeast44 Posts: 5 Member
    Hi! I am 52 and I can assure you there is nothing to fear at 40! You may find you need reading glasses, but you can still be healthy and fit at 40. It's getting a little tougher in my 50's, but still totally do-able. Eat right, lift weights, and enjoy your youth!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,828 Member
    Hiya!
    I'm almost 41 and am currently the fittest I've ever been, and the slimmest in 14 years. Only my legs refuse to get the nice slim toned look I was secretly hoping for even though I knew it won't happen. Oh well...
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    I am 46 years old and in the last 3 years have lost 95 pounds and have never been fitter. Don't be afraid of your 40's - they are fantastic and nothing to fear about your metabolism unless you have some underlying medical issue.
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    I was just thinking how I am much better as a person mentally and physically at 45 than I was in my early 20's. No kids in the house, can go out and do thing whenever I want without needing sitters, and all those people who told me once you hit your 40's it's too hard to loose weight just got proven wrong lol. In 7 months give or take, I have lost close to 42 lbs. Not shabby in my opinion.
  • allijoy13
    allijoy13 Posts: 66 Member
    I learned in school that our body functions peak at 35 and then begin the decline. I'm not sure if that is good news or not, but that means nothing special happens at 40! :) And I'm right there with you, I will be 39 this year.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Wrong thread...sorry.
  • beachbum4044
    beachbum4044 Posts: 57 Member
    the big 4-0 is right around the corner. I have refocused some of my time on me. I have 3 kids, one is stationed in San Diego, the other are at home. My daughter is active in volleyball, softball, she volunteers to get experience toward her career choice. My son has just returned to sports and is currently in basketball. I play taxi daily. My daughter will be getting her license soon which should help. I work full-time, I have a husband and house to take care of on top of that. I have shared my plans with my family and they are very supportive. Using MFP has helped me to be accountable and to understand what I have been eating, how much and I have used the last few weeks to make positive changes to my food. This week I am going to start to incorporate movement. It is the only way to reach my goal of being fit by 40. I will start with short walks in my work day, I have a goal of 3 5ks this year and I want to add and build onto my walks until I am at 45-60 minutes of cardio per day. Feel free to add me....any "friend" that can help motivate me and share tips is greatly appreciated.
  • thehadster
    thehadster Posts: 15 Member
    You are smart to get cracking with fitness now, because it does not get easier as you age.

Regarding turning 40 in general - Personally, it was FANTASTIC! I crossed some kind of mile stone. Suddenly it was easier to feel sure of myself without needing validation from others:

1) it is easier to dump a man if he isn't good for me or to me - since I no longer feel as though I needed a man to "complete" me. (don't get me wrong, I love men, love being in a romantic relationship etc, but I no longer put up with men looking for mommies, who have no sense of humor, take themselves too seriously etc. Simply not worth the effort.)

2) I am no longer terrified to make big decisions for fear of the disapproval of friends and family. In general, making decisions is SO much easier.

3) it is easier to be in control of all aspects of my life: career, personal relationships, personal philosophy, personal theology blah, blah, blah

4) it's easier to take chances because I know for a fact that if I do, and fail, it is not the end of the world. I will recover. All the "what if's" have pretty much disappeared.

And the list goes on.

So - get yourself on a fitness program you can live with. Go to the doctor and get a blood test, get your HDL/LDL and triglycerides in line. Look at your A1C number, lower it if you need to. Get a fitness stress test to tell you where you are and then work on improving it. Go back annually and get everything checked. Do it NOW.

Watching your body age, and it will, isn't for the faint of heart. I'd love my 20 year old body back - for sure - but actually being in my 20's or 30's? No way.

Wishing you the best next 50 or so years of your life!