Whey Protein - I'm clueless

Options
Hi

Can anyone offer advice about Whey powder?

I'm looking to find one that is low fat, with <5g of carbs & between 15-20g of protein per serving

I've checked out a few online brands and they have loads of sugar or fat in them, I'm not looking to bulk out just supplement a meal.

Any shouts let me know & ideally something that tastes nice

Thanks in advance

Replies

• maggymouse
    maggymouse Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    These products are generally used by people who want to bulk up and gain muscle, hence they're quite high in calories. Personally I wouldn't use one as a meal supplement - just make sure you use your calories wisely on good fresh food and you won't need a supplement.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I agree with maggymouse. I used them several times when I first started losing weight, but didn't like the ingredients or the taste very much so I just get enough protein from my food. I also thought the prices were too high on them and would rather use the money for really fresh food.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Honestly that's kind of weird you're having trouble finding whey protein that fits those requirements. Most should have no issue falling under 5g carbs and not being high in fat.

Optimum Nutrition gold standard is widely available, decent tasting, and reliably high quality.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    maggymouse wrote: »
    These products are generally used by people who want to bulk up and gain muscle, hence they're quite high in calories. Personally I wouldn't use one as a meal supplement - just make sure you use your calories wisely on good fresh food and you won't need a supplement.

Incorrect.

You are confusing a bulking supplement/mass gainer with a whey protein supplement.

A whey protein supplement will be low in fat and carbohydrates, because, well, it's made from a protein source and not a carb or fat source.

Whey protein..

Per serving:
    ◾ Energy:401 kJ
    ◾ Energy:96 kcal
    ◾ Fat:1.45g
    ◾ of which saturates:1.1g
    ◾ Carbohydrates:1.2g
    ◾ of which sugars:1.2g
    ◾ Protein (dry basis):20.4g
    ◾ Protein (as-is):19.5g
    ◾ Salt:0.2g

Mass gainer..

Per serving
    ◾ Fat:8.6g
    ◾ Carbohydrates:49.3g
    ◾ Protein (dry basis):44.6g
    ◾ Sodium:0.6g
    ◾ Energy:452 kcal
    ◾ of which saturates:5.1g
    ◾ of which sugars:31.4g
    ◾ Protein (as-is):43.1g

Two different products for two different goals.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

No they are not. I've lost 40 or so pounds since starting to use whey (although I'm not claiming the whey caused the weight loss; just a correlation).

Op, there should be several whey proteins that are fine. In addition to the previously mentioned optimum nutrition, I like trutein.

And sugar doesn't make you fat. Look at the protein to calorie ratio and choose the best powder that gets you to your protein goal while keeping you within your caliries. There's no reason to track sugar when you already track carbs.

Also, you don't have to take whey; you can add in more lean meats, dairy, and beans to your diet to get protein. Even some veggies have low amounts of protein.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

What I bolded is false. Protein powder is just a supplement to help reach calorie and protein needs. I agree with Cityruss, they are two totally different products.

The protein powder I use is Cellucor Molten Chocolate. 1bwtlf0x91aa.png

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    OP...

Cellucor: COR-Performance Whey
    Optimum Nutrition: Gold Standard 100% Whey

Both fit your requirements.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    ^ Gold Standard whey

Regarded by many as a top notch product. available on amazon or GNC
  • thomaszavo
    thomaszavo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try Vitamin World Whey Isolate, 130 calories, 31 grams protein, 1 carb, less than a gram of sugar, and 0 grams of fat. Awesome stuff!!!!!
  • jessicafg
    jessicafg Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Many thanks for the replies, I really appreciate the support. I'll check them out and see how I get on.
  • Danielnielsen123
    Danielnielsen123 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

No they are not. I've lost 40 or so pounds since starting to use whey (although I'm not claiming the whey caused the weight loss; just a correlation).

Op, there should be several whey proteins that are fine. In addition to the previously mentioned optimum nutrition, I like trutein.

And sugar doesn't make you fat. Look at the protein to calorie ratio and choose the best powder that gets you to your protein goal while keeping you within your caliries. There's no reason to track sugar when you already track carbs.

Also, you don't have to take whey; you can add in more lean meats, dairy, and beans to your diet to get protein. Even some veggies have low amounts of protein.

• Danielnielsen123
    Danielnielsen123 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would recommend Machine Whey, from Mts nutrition. Best protein ive ever had
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    what exactly are you looking at? are you sure you're not looking at meal replacement shakes or weigh gain shakes or something? most whey protein powders have very little in the way of carbs or fat given that most people that supplement with protein powders really just want the protein.

I use Optimum Nutrition whey isolate. 30 grams protein, 1 g fat, 1 g sugar.

I would also ask why you're looking to supplement with whey? What are your protein goals? What is your training regimen like? A lot of people seem to be under the impression that protein powders have some kind of magical weight loss properties...they don't, there just a supplement to help you hit your protein goals. If you can do that with solid food, there's really no need to supplement.
  • jessicafg
    jessicafg Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm planning to use it to supplement my protein intake. I do eat a balanced diet with lots of veg, so I'm looking for a protein shake to start my day & metabolism off. I'm eating small meals very 3 hrs so it's just a quick meal
  • capecodgirl1
    capecodgirl1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Isopure whey protien. Best as superior metabolism booster better for women. Whey fuels the growth of calories hungry lean muscle mass. Sipping whey protien in the morning first thin revs fat burn! Zero carb zero sugar zero aspartame zero gluten. ISOPURE has many different flavors and great prices found on www.puritanspride.com
    Good luck
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Isopure whey protien. Best as superior metabolism booster better for women. Whey fuels the growth of calories hungry lean muscle mass. Sipping whey protien in the morning first thin revs fat burn! Zero carb zero sugar zero aspartame zero gluten. ISOPURE has many different flavors and great prices found on www.puritanspride.com
    Good luck

The isopure tea is pretty good... but metabolism booster? No.
  • ngagne
    ngagne Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    whey protein is a good way to add protein to your diet.
    You will NOT bulk up from it. People, especially women, have to REALLY try to bulk up. A woman working out will not just bulk up without specifically trying to.
    I take whey & weightlift (heavy reps) daily & have been for months now & am not getting "bulky" at all, I'm actually slimming down.
  • EatPaleoStyle
    Options
    jessicafg wrote: »
    Hi

Can anyone offer advice about Whey powder?

I'm looking to find one that is low fat, with <5g of carbs & between 15-20g of protein per serving

I've checked out a few online brands and they have loads of sugar or fat in them, I'm not looking to bulk out just supplement a meal.

Any shouts let me know & ideally something that tastes nice

Thanks in advance

Worry about the quality of the protein, look for any grass-fed cows whey protein and you will do good, forget the rest.