How to defriend people nicely? Message?

Options
Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but it appears this is where issues related to the "social" aspect of MFP go.

I have a short friend list. I was off MFP for may be 10 months, and most of them haven't been on for a few motnhs either. Some are still active and that's great. However I have confirmed what I always suspected - I am totally not a "social network" type of person. So I want to keep the one person I actually know irl and clear everyone else's posts off my wall, at the same time I wish them sincerely the best and am happy to iteract with anyone on the forums on specific topics.

However, I want to let them, all of them, even the absentees in case they come back, know that defriending them was not in any way a comment on them, I wish them good luck and it's just a personal decision to keep to real life friends only.

So does anyone know if when I hit "remove friend" I will get the option to write them a message or sth, or is it just bang, they're gone? I just don't like "deleting" a real person like an old file. That may sound crazy but well....

Thanks for your help.

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Just hit delete and move on.
  • nataliemush
    nataliemush Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I guess you've just told them all already.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    I have well over 30 pages of friends. Each month I go through it deleting people who haven't logged on the forums for a month. Nothing personal, but that's just how it goes. If they come back and still want to be friends, I'll readd them.
    There's nothing you have to explain. Chances are if they left, they won't be back in awhile or ever.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the thoughtful posts and also for the practical suggestions here and in PM. I guess one last wall post and PMs are the way to go.

As I said, I feel awkward in Facebook-like situations with people I don't know in the flesh and blood, so this one really was a stumper for me. Thanks for all responses.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Don't over think it. It's just not worth it.
  • Naaer
    Naaer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I, also, ask people if they'd LIKE to be deleted if I haven't seen them on the board for over a month...I figure after a month they really aren't that interested in losing weight...

Reaan
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Just hit delete and move on.
    ^^
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Tell them how they have failed you.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I only click like so much in the timeline because of the pay per click scheme.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I just delete people, and now don't accept friend requests. Don't feel bad about it either.